Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: cleaning the Alcantera Steering wheel

My Cars
    2005 M3 w/ZCP

cleaning the Alcantera Steering wheel

Hey folks..

since my hand get seaty pretty easily i think my alcantera steering wheel is starting to stink..

Does any body know how to clean or shampoo the alcantera leather??

Or does BMW offer just the alcantera leather wrap it self for replacement??

thanks guys!

My Cars
    Yes
    As far as I know, BMW doesn't sell replacement steering wheel skins.

You can find care instructions at Alcantara's Web site. Right-click and save as:

http://world.alcantara.com/newsite/a..._alcantara.pdf

My Cars
    2005 M3 w/ZCP
    wow thanks for the super fast reply

My Cars
    Yes

My Cars
    M-B SL500
    Leather Care (Nubuck, Alcantara®, Suede, etc):
    Nubuck is top-grain cattle hide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibres, producing a velvet-like surface.

Suede is not commonly found in vehicles, however, Nubuck or a synthetic known as Alcantara® is commonly found in sports luxury vehicles; on the steering wheel, armrests and seat inserts both for aesthetic purposes and grip (on the seats and steering wheel) and the headliner, it is highly absorbent, creating a texture similar to velvet, many people confuse this product with suede leather.

As a general rule when cleaning Nubuck, Alcantara ®, Suede, etc you should only to use products specifically designed for this type of fabric. Avoid using a product designed for cleaning leather. It's also important to do a patch test before cleaning any fabric to make sure the colour or integrity of the fabric won't be damaged. To do this, apply your cleaning product to an area that doesn't show to see what the effect will be.

Nubuck Foam Cleaner is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains on Nubuck, brushed aniline and suede leathers. Always pre-test the product on a hidden area. This cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner.

The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent materials. Clean the surface with a Leather Master™ cleaning pad, or use the foam cleaner. The foam created by this aerosol has the consistency of shaving cream, making it ideal for sensitive leather. Do not allow to dry as it can leave spot marks. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.

These steps may be all you need to clean these surface but if it still appears stained, you can try adding a small amount of white vinegar to a soft washcloth and gently buff the surface. Be sure to do your patch test first. For rally stubborn stains; clean the surface with 303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover (do not saturate) it removes oil, grease, ink, berry juice, wine and blood. It contains no soaps, detergents, phosphates, nitrates, caustics, toxic organics, enzymes or volatile organic chemicals (VOC)

Using a soft upholstery brush or a Rubber Suede Brush - http://www.shoestringuk.co.uk/ to raise the `nap' of the surface then apply cleaner by spraying onto a 100% cotton towel (do not saturate) allow to air dry. The surface of these leathers has no protective barrier, and as a result these leathers are very prone to soiling and staining. To protect unfinished leathers including deerskin and unfinished dyed leathers, use Leather Master™ Nubuck Protection

Methodology-
    • Shake well before use
    • Spray a small amount of the product no more than 12 inches from the leather's surface.
    • Use a sponge to work the foam into the soiled area, as it acts as a cushion, preventing too much pressure.
    • Gently wipe away excess foam, and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
    • Repeat for extremely soiled areas.
    • Once the area is clean, apply a Nubuck Protectant to prevent future soiling

~ Providing unbiased advice that entry level, enthusiasts, professionals and industry experts trust ~~ TOGWT Blog - Facebook Page