Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: TT Stg 1 install...

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R

TT Stg 1 install...

All in one day Took us about 13 hrs of hard DIY work

Overall the kit is great. I didnt get a whole lot of pics but i did snap a few random ones which i will post up. I also got a video of it running with just the DP

The hardest part about the kit was the intake pipe, it did NOT want to fit in the silicone coupler, between the manifold and the AC. Took us over an hour just to get that on. Everything else went fairly smooth.

The only things that werent installed was, the windshield washer tank and the exhaust. I need to find a shop. Drive home for about an 1-1.5 was INSANELY loud but oh boy fun Corvette went by me @ 90 and i caught up but then he just started driving all crazy so i let him go.

97 M3
    Stock clutch (boost so far holds fine, only running off wastegate 6 psi)
    GC suspension squats when i floor it, need to stiffen things up.

BIG thanks for Yih Woei (guc32). He's done a few turbo installs and knows his stuff! I wouldnt of been able to do it without him, thanks for your help! Also thanks to Dave and ICS for the gb and of course, NickG. I absolutely love the kit!

Turbo M3 FTW
    Gas prices FTL

PICS:

So nice and shiny

Vid: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6jknNhHjQ[/ame]
    In the background you hear them cutting the bumper support...

Thanks for looking,
    Justin

Update 1 July 09: Purchased Southbend clutch (stg5) and also have an M50 Manifold coming to me from E36ME here on the forums in the GB section. Going to have the clutch installed while I'm in Turkey so i can get home and just jump in it!
    Last edited by stanksbeamen; 07-02-2009 at 02:25 AM.
    '97 M3- GC Track/School|Spraco strut bar|X-brace|UUC Swaybarbarians|w/ VMC adj End links| UUC systemU|SouthBend stg5 clutch|Powerflex RTAB/LCAB|UUC Red Tranny mounts|M50mani|Greddy EBC|Innovate LC-1
    M52 Crank, Cams, Pistons, Rods:

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Nice Justin. Glad you're digging the kit so far
    Nick Glantzis
    2005 330i ZHP auto with Technique Tuning turbo kit (currently For Sale)

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    Glad i could help Justin. Playing with a Vette already LOL. Good to here you got home without any troubles.

My Cars
    98 Estoril M3/2, 94 325i
    AWESOME congrats! Mine goes in next saturday!
    VP Anyone have a Girlfax?

My Cars
    M3
    Looking great, reminds me I need to get those water lines when I get my new turbo. Nick, is it worth the extra cash to go with the steel braided lines over those ones?

I hear you on the intake pipe, definitely not the most fun part of the install.

Did you pull the pan to tap the oil fitting or just drill straight in?
    Steve

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    Quote Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
    Looking great, reminds me I need to get those water lines when I get my new turbo. Nick, is it worth the extra cash to go with the steel braided lines over those ones?

I hear you on the intake pipe, definitely not the most fun part of the install.

Did you pull the pan to tap the oil fitting or just drill straight in?
    We drilled straight in then used the old oil to flush out any shavings that may have gotten into the pan.

We had to take a break with that intake to take our minds off of it. OMG was it a pain. I told Justin to do an AC delete or a low level intake. LOL

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by guc32 View Post
    We drill straight in then used the old oil to flush out any shavings that may have gotten into the pan.

We had to take a break with that intake to take out minds off of it. OMG was it a pain. I told Justin to do an AC delete or a low level intake. LOL
    Yeah, trust me, I remember trying to wedge it in between the AC lines, ugh, bad memories.
    Steve

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Very nice. 1 day install is impressive. Congrats.

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Well its only a S1. No HG work. And didnt do the exhaust weld to mid pipe. No means to weld at my house.

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Nice Justin. Glad you're digging the kit so far
    Yes sir! Thanks.

Glad i could help Justin. Playing with a Vette already LOL. Good to here you got home without any troubles.
    haha well he went by me and i figured what a good way to break in the kit lol, i was just going to leave it in 5th and floor it. He was driving all crazy close to the center barrier so i said F it.

Quote Originally Posted by EstorilRoc3060 View Post
    AWESOME congrats! Mine goes in next saturday!
    Sweet man, im sure you'll have fun

We had to take a break with that intake to take our minds off of it. OMG was it a pain. I told Justin to do an AC delete or a low level intake. LOL
    Yes, you mentioned the AC delete like 20 times! It gets hot here especially with black on black Gotta have it

Quote Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
    Yeah, trust me, I remember trying to wedge it in between the AC lines, ugh, bad memories.
    Yes we agreed to never take it out again unless going Stg 2 lol

Yih Woei (Guc32) is the man! He knows our cars very well has done quite a few installs. Im glad its over, unfortunately no exhaust shops open today so i get to keep driving around with just open down pipe.
    '97 M3- GC Track/School|Spraco strut bar|X-brace|UUC Swaybarbarians|w/ VMC adj End links| UUC systemU|SouthBend stg5 clutch|Powerflex RTAB/LCAB|UUC Red Tranny mounts|M50mani|Greddy EBC|Innovate LC-1

jmargo is offline Guess who's back ? Moderator
    My Cars
    CTS-V , Blown 332i
    Wow you didn't waste anytime....I guess its time to see if I can hang with the stg 1.....or is that the other way around ?
    Sias Tuned, Vortech Blown, 3.2L S52...456WHP/360WTQ

Sias Tuning | HowertonEngineering | Davis Motorsports Club

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    Wow you didn't waste anytime....I guess its time to see if I can hang with the stg 1.....or is that the other way around ?
    Haha I think you have at least 100 whp on me...Ill try and hang with you, maybe. Your "on the road again" coming home?

jmargo is offline Guess who's back ? Moderator
    My Cars
    CTS-V , Blown 332i
    Quote Originally Posted by stanksbeamen View Post
    Haha I think you have at least 100 whp on me...Ill try and hang with you, maybe. Your "on the road again" coming home?
    Another month......
    Sias Tuned, Vortech Blown, 3.2L S52...456WHP/360WTQ

Sias Tuning | HowertonEngineering | Davis Motorsports Club

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    ^Gotcha. Take it easy.

Come home and have your car re-tuned and we'll have some fun, go to some meets! I know you'll have some more toys to throw on it

Take care.

My Cars
    98 Estoril M3/2, 94 325i
    I'm gonna have to say that I'm very disappointed in the LACK of pictures of your build, seriously, F'ing weak, jeez.

My Cars
    yes
    Very nice Stanks!! Good choice!!

Don

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    I'm gonna have to say that I'm very disappointed in the LACK of pictures of your build, seriously, F'ing weak, jeez.
    You'll see how quickly you get tired and just want to get it done. We were trying to work as fast as possible. It was a very long day plus the drive there and back home. Pictures weren't my first priority but i did want to take some.

Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    Very nice Stanks!! Good choice!!

Don
    Thanks. How is your build coming along?

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    All in one day Took us about 13 hrs of hard DIY work

Overall the kit is great. I didnt get a whole lot of pics but i did snap a few random ones which i will post up. I also got a video of it running with just the DP

The hardest part about the kit was the intake pipe, it did NOT want to fit in the silicone coupler, between the manifold and the AC. Took us over an hour just to get that on. Everything else went fairly smooth.

The only things that werent installed was, the windshield washer tank and the exhaust. I need to find a shop. Drive home for about an 1-1.5 was INSANELY loud but oh boy fun Corvette went by me @ 90 and i caught up but then he just started driving all crazy so i let him go.

97 M3
    Stock clutch (boost so far holds fine, only running off wastegate 6 psi)
    GC suspension squats when i floor it, need to stiffen things up.

BIG thanks for Yih Woei (guc32). He's done a few turbo installs and knows his stuff! I wouldnt of been able to do it without him, thanks for your help! Also thanks to Dave and ICS for the gb and of course, NickG. I absolutely love the kit!

Turbo M3 FTW
    Gas prices FTL

PICS:

So nice and shiny

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6jknNhHjQ
    In the background you hear them cutting the bumper support...

Thanks for looking,
    Justin
    Sweet build dude, I don't suppose you used the link in my sig for the Stg 2 install? Because we had trouble with the intake pipe too, we found that disconnecting the motor mount and jacking it up helped slide the pipe right in.

Dyno numbers or ban!!!

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    yes
    You'll see how quickly you get tired and just want to get it done. We were trying to work as fast as possible. It was a very long day plus the drive there and back home. Pictures weren't my first priority but i did want to take some.

Thanks. How is your build coming along?
    Excellent. Thanks for asking. I hope to have the engine in by next weekend

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
    Sweet build dude, I don't suppose you used the link in my sig for the Stg 2 install? Because we had trouble with the intake pipe too, we found that disconnecting the motor mount and jacking it up helped slide the pipe right in.

Dyno numbers or ban!!!
    Thanks, i didnt even think to look at your build up...whoops. No eventually we just made it fit, scratched the hell out of the pipe but its not there to look pretty That is a good suggestion though, i will keep it in mind for the future, thanks.

Maybe a while before i hit the dyno but eventually i will get around to it. What spark plugs did you put in CJ's car or what plugs is he running, do you know?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Thanks, i didnt even think to look at your build up...whoops. No eventually we just made it fit, scratched the hell out of the pipe but its not there to look pretty That is a good suggestion though, i will keep it in mind for the future, thanks.

Maybe a while before i hit the dyno but eventually i will get around to it. What spark plugs did you put in CJ's car or what plugs is he running, do you know?
    Some type of NGKs, I really don't remember. I'm sure its the kind that are 2 steps colder than stock and gapped to 0.028 I believe.

My Cars
    98 Estoril M3/2, 94 325i
    Do you HAVE to have colder plugs? I've got the ones highly recommended for our cars, the copper ones, so i need different ones?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yes you should get colder plugs if you're FI.

My Cars
    M3
    Some type of NGKs, I really don't remember. I'm sure its the kind that are 2 steps colder than stock and gapped to 0.028 I believe.
    Do you HAVE to have colder plugs? I've got the ones highly recommended for our cars, the copper ones, so i need different ones?
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1&postcount=22
    Steve

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Congratulations!

Helluva quick install! I have seen nickdrivesm3 do the TTS2 install in person so I know first-hand the quality of the kit. However the intake pipe is a bitch, plain and simple.

That is really sick hearing from Yih that drilling the pan and just draining the old oil is good enough. I have read that removing the subframe to remove the oil pan is a major PITA so that makes the job so much easier right there!

Go have some fun! Get that exhaust on and post some kill videos!

Dyno numbers or ban!!!
    Quoting pictures FTL!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast