Thread: Supersprint 784302 decat pipe review

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994

Supersprint 784302 decat pipe review

I am install this Supersprint 784302 decat pipe before one week. Here is my 5c about this part.
    Advantage:
    1. Sound is fantastic (I have also rear SS mufler). Now litle louder but car have one additional deeper noise altogether with original sharp and brisk sound one m3 e36. Sound is more powerfull because original cat section dont have this deep portion sound. Sound is now like combination M50B25 engine and S50B30 engine. Excellent.
    2. Entire pipe is lighter and smaller.
    old section:

SS decat inward

mounted on car:

Disadvantage:
    CAR LOOSE TORQUE IN LOW/MID RANGE!!! Here is dyno test for evidence:

movieeeeeeee:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F8KIXImWyk[/ame]

After this dyno test i am litle confused. In range between 2-3500/min I can feel litle loos of torque, but from 4000/min car pull realy good. Pull like have +20PS in entire range. Maybe this is only one psychoacoustical effect in my brean because car sounds much stronger.

My conclusion:
    Original is simply better for perfomance. If I find original section with low miles I will go back to original.
    But if you want realy good sound and loosing torque is not drawback for you this is way to go.
    Last edited by foler; 04-14-2008 at 09:53 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocrvaw3d4UM Dont drive over limited speed!!! Drive safely......

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    Is there multiple versions out there?

I know there was a normal and a race version of the decat system. But the normal ones I have seen didn't have the X section, just straight pipes?
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Quote Originally Posted by =BA= View Post
    Is there multiple versions out there?

I know there was a normal and a race version of the decat system. But the normal ones I have seen didn't have the X section, just straight pipes?
    I dont know. My version have racing label on it:
    http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?i...784032mgu4.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocrvaw3d4UM Dont drive over limited speed!!! Drive safely......

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    Interesting.

I have the racing version and I like it overall. I have it plugged to a Scorpion end section exhaust, ist loud and I love it.

I didnt do any tests to see power before and after, but with the turbos working hard my guess is that the de-cat is helping the engine to breath more than the cats would.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

3.0L S50B32 EURO Single Vanos with ITB's and Twin Garret GT2252 Turbo
    VEMS Standalone (www.vems.hu) most features enabled.
    Brakes, suspention, rollcage, seats, harness, wheels and tires.

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Quote Originally Posted by GT110 View Post
    Interesting.

I have the racing version and I like it overall. I have it plugged to a Scorpion end section exhaust, ist loud and I love it.

I didnt do any tests to see power before and after, but with the turbos working hard my guess is that the de-cat is helping the engine to breath more than the cats would.
    Dyno is only way after which you can know what you have. Marketnig numbers like +50ps with chip, +35ps with exhaust, +20ps with air filter is all bullshit. YOU MUST GO TO DYNO.
    When someone asking me about power of my car I dont want to lie. I have prove for my words, dyno print. 99% people don't know anything about power of their cars. I think that any serious driver must have dyno print. This is big help and can realy show how to drive it. One example: why rev car to 6000/min if power drop bellow 5000/min?

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    Thats true, and thats also why I dont answer when people ask me how much power I am making.

It sounds simple, just take your car to a dyno, but the dynos available here in Luxembourg will not do a test on my car, the nearest one is in Brussels, 2hours away. Im will have to make the trip when i have the time.

BUt I dont buy exhaust mods to get power.. becouse it does not yeld that much. But with the increased boost a more opined exhaust should help.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Two more drawback is that engine run very anxious/turbulent in idle and car convulse with 784302 decat.

Today I am mount back original mid-section section and car is NOW FANTASTIC: smooth idle, no anxious/turbulent, car pull hard from low to high rpm, no any hool in power.

This case is one more example that good car manufacturer like bmw best know what is ideal compromise!!! Especialy on car like ///M3.

chiao

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    Ok, This could explain my situation also. Maybe I need to look out for a new mid-section.. and get rid of the Supersprint.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

My Cars
    #205 GTS3, GL450, 986S
    Hi Foler -

Thanks for this info. You're right that dyno testing is needed to properly evaluate any new mods to your car. I'm installing an S50B32 into my car and your dyno info convinced me to stick with the stock cat section.

Thanks!

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

Excellent thread, thank you for starting it.

Quote Originally Posted by foler View Post
    I think that any serious driver must have dyno print. This is big help and can realy show how to drive it. One example: why rev car to 6000/min if power drop bellow 5000/min?
    ANSWER: To avoid an awkward shift point on the track.

But we know what you mean.

Thread is very interesting, and, I believe it is the second time in the forum that people have called the SS resonator section to task regarding performance upgrade.

For people in the US market, we're extremely limited in selection of "bolt" on midsection pipes, and its always been "assumed" I believe that the SS midsection is an improvement in terms of weight as well as allowing better performance.

The only un-answered question about the pipe is..... are there situations where it may still be favorable. For example on FI. Or, cammed, custom tuned engines might reveal a restriction in the factory setup that the SS relieves. At least at the airflow characteristcs of a stock motor, as here, it appears that stock out performs SS resonator.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Evolution
    On a side note, for an aftermarket cat-back exhaust do you take the heat shields off the stock pipes and put them on the new pipes or do we really need them?

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Anybody see advantages/dis-advantages using SS decat with Alpha-N?

Maybe SS highflow cat is a better idea?
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    tuning this engines is waste money...better spend money on track days and you will be much faster than someone with 20ps more but with no track experience.

if you want power use ls3 engine.

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Interesting advice and opinions, but not an answer to my question. Anyone have any experience with decat and Alpha-N together?
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    oem center section provide proved biggest power and torque. You can use alpha N but leave oem catalist in the place. Decating highly tuned bmw NA engine dont have any success. Only advantage is weight (-10kg) but you can allways have -10L fuel in tank Trust me man, I spend fortune on this car and oem components is the best!!!

My Cars
    15 M235i 97 SC 328is

SS Mid pipe

I myself would be very interested to see some dyno numbers from a forced induction car like my own. I am still running my stock cats, which I believe hurt my performance but only slightly. It is hard to say for sure as I have heard of some FI'd cars getting a 7-10 RWHP gain with headers and a good mid-pipe. And others saying the cost and pain of installation was not worth the trouble. I would at least think the SS mid-pipe would help in my situation.

97' Artic Silver m52 Vortech V3 11PSI, RWHP 353.98, AA Custom Tune, RMS Aftercooling, VAC 1mm Over-Sized Valves, Stage 2 VAC head, Supertech Springs Ti Retainers, Schrick 264/256 Cams, M50 Manifold, Turner "Shorty" headers, Magna Flow racing cats, Lucas 42lb'rs, Walboro 255, Bosch 803 MAF, IPT Stall Converter, IPT Performance M3 ZF5HP18, 5-Speed Auto, 3:91 gears, Spal, Fluidyne, Dinan, Anza, Bilstein, H&R, PFC, HKG, Brembo, Auto Meter, VDO, Plasma Euro Gauges, ZKW, Prolumen, Viper 5901, Beyern, Yokohama, Monarch A1 Hand Controls, OG member of the "NO FEET" Hands Only!" drivers club.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    As for expirience with Alpha N and the supersprint section. Alpha N is only a name that is given to a certain way of programming, the DME will calculate fuel injection on the throttle position signal rather than going by MAF readings. So like any means of controlling an engine, it will depend on who sets it up. Poor tuning, weather it goes by MAF or Alpha N will result in poor result and vice versa.

If your engine produces a poor result, and you change your tuning from MAF based calculation to Alpha N based calculation, the result will still be poor if fuelling is the same.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    e36m, E46m, Z3m,
    I have the same Supersprint Decat center section (784302) with the matching rear muffler on my 1994 Euro-Spec. I thought I would see a little HP gain. It did improve the raspy exhaust tone I had before. To tell you the truth I don't feel any improvements. I will get the car on the Dyno this spring to see the actual numbers......

My Cars
    04 E46 M3 JB/Kiwi
    You all should get a dyno with the SS Decat.

EURO 04 M3
    Current Mods: GC DA's, Eibach ARB's, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, Z8 Starter Button, BBS CHs, Lamin-X, STORM SMG Paddles, RE RTABs/RCAs, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, M3 CSL HP DME, TTFS Tune, STOPTECH ST40's, FXR 3.0 Projectors, SS Stepped headers + Catless S Pipes + Res X-Pipe + Sport Muffler, OEM CSL Roof, OEM CSL Steering.

My Cars
    1998 BMW S50B32 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ejaz3739 View Post
    You all should get a dyno with the SS Decat.
    I have the same SS mid and the race rear section. I think I feel Nm loss in low RPM-s, but It doesnt matter for me...I use it for daily drive, only just for fun (not using it for go to work or trackdays, just cruising). If I want to go "fast" the 3k RPM is doesnt matter cause I (you) using the car in above 5k range, and If I go with traffic jam you just rolling the car in 2-3k rpm and the power/torque loss is doesnt matter, but that brutal sound is rocks
    Last edited by kovrol; 01-08-2013 at 03:43 AM.

My Cars
    95' euro m3 cosmos coupe
    thats what I love so much about the sound of the ss exhaust especially with a
    decat

My Cars
    e36m, E46m, Z3m,
    E36 M3 Euro (243.9wHP SAE, 218.6ftlb) With the SS Cat Delete.