Thread: Clutch stop + safety switch finally tamed.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i

Clutch stop + safety switch finally tamed.

So I wanted to attempt the elevator bolt clutch stop but unfortunately lowes (at least in issaquah) doesn't carry it. So I got creative.

Instead of the elevator bolt I used a 3/8-16 x 1 1/2 hex head bolt and a large 3/8 washer. To secure the washer I used a 3/8 wing nut. I used the same rubber grippers but I had to use two instead of the previous 1. The first was used to fill the gap between the top of the washer and teh top of the bolt head and the second was used as the actual cushion. (with only 1 the hex head was still showing)

Once I installed it I ran into immediate problems because my car wouldn't start with the given stopper height. I didn't want to modify the wiring because I still wanted to have to push down the clutch pedal to start the car so once again I had to get creative. As those of you with the magnetic NO switches know, it's not adjustable in stock form. It is where it is and you pretty much have to deal with it. I discovered that not only does the wire plug come off but he magnet actually comes off of the cylinder as well. After a few tests I figured out that the magnet doesn't have to be in its factory bracket on the cylinder to react with the magnetic parts of the clutch pedal so I ended up zip tying it about 1cm higher on the cylinder than it was before and pulling that thing tight so it wouldn't move. I now have a fully functional clutch stop with a perfectly calibrated clutch safety switch

Any questions feel free to ask. I'd love to give back to the community on this forum what ever I can for all it's done for me.

My Cars
    2002 M5
    Sounds like a nifty solution. Thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    just an update. I realized last night that I had moved the sensor too much higher than stock (about 1cm) and that caused my cruise control not to work. The magnet has two sensors, one at the top so the cruise disengages once the clutch is pressed and one at the bottom for the starter. I fiddled with it a little bit and found that 1/2 cm is plenty for the car to start with the clutch stop and still allow cruise to function properly.

My Cars
    92 Ford Mustang 5.0
    Can you tell me where this magnet is located. Do yo have any pics. I have the same problem when I installed my clutch stop I could only adjust it maybe 1/4 inch more before the switch would not engage.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    i don't have pictures but the magnet is located on the hydraulic cylinder which is controlled by the clutch pedal. there is a plug with 4 wires going into it.

My Cars
    92 Ford Mustang 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by iranmeba View Post
    i don't have pictures but the magnet is located on the hydraulic cylinder which is controlled by the clutch pedal. there is a plug with 4 wires going into it.
    Is that cylinder inside the car near the pedal or on the other side of the firewall in the engine bay.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    inside the car. physically connected to the clutch pedal.

My Cars
    2007 M Coupe/2008 M3
    Thanks for the clutch stop/safety switch info iranmeba. I had a chance to do this today and took some pics, towards the bottom of my write-up here:

http://billswebspace.com/BMWZ4MMEClu...stallation.htm

Bill
    2007 BMW M Coupe, 2008 BMW M3 Coupe, 2005 Mini Cooper S

BMW Car Club of America
    www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex

My Cars
    German
    good info, thank you

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    Glad this came to be of some use to you guys. It's hard to imagine I was 16 and in high school at the time I wrote this. I remember what it was like to have free time...