Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Precision Inc. Intake Scoop For the Z4M & Z4 (01/2006+)

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Race Precision Inc. Intake Scoop For the Z4M & Z4 (01/2006+)

Hey guys, this thread is all about the new RPI intake scoop for the Z4. Originally it was made for the Z4M and a few test fits found it to not fit the non-Z4M.

Well upon many hours of research, I discovered they changed the piece that the hood latch brace bolts onto. This was done 01/2006. So any car built after 01/2006 the scoop WILL fit your car. The Z4 and Z4M share the same identical front bumper components and mounting points, same reason why the Z4M bumper is a direct fit.

So I went up to RPI in Paramount, CA this morning and we test fitted the scoop, success! Fits perfectly, even better then the Z4M because of a little bit more room behind the Non-M front bumper vs the Z4M. Of course Eloy wasn't happy with it just fitting it's gotta produce gains.

So we put my car on the dyno and did 3-4 runs to get the highest stock HP. Keep in mind my car is completely stock (engine wise) except for I removed my carbon filter.

The car dynoed at a peak horsepower of 202.8 HP technically this number might be lower because we had already taken off the stock intake scoop (a.k.a dubbed Half-Bra) so with the more restrictive stock scoop in place the numbers would have been slightly lower. None the less it was our base run data.

Next Eloy installed the scoop in a few minutes, very simple install. I opted for the red scoop and to tell you the truth its barely noticeable on my car, of course black would be invisible. I like the look of the red scoop peeking from behind the grills

So, back onto the dyno the car went. The car was dynoed once again, I think this time it was 4-5 times. The first run was the same as the base HP, then the following run the HP dropped, normal as the ECU was shocked by the sudden influx of air. Each run after that provided us with a higher and higher number. Finally on the 5th run I think it was we settled on a final number of, 208.1 HP. Keep in mind the car was dynoed with the hood closed and one run after the other. You know you have a great part when you can run the car multiple times and still get performance gains. A combination of heat soak, the ECU learning, and the heavy concentration of exhaust gases as opposed to fresh air in the shop led us to see these numbers as underrated.

But, none the less, clearly the scoop is doing a great job in boosting top end HP and torque. With just a few minutes of the ECU adapting we averaged a gain of about 6 HP. I have no doubt that driving around for a week or two and dynoing it again the numbers would be even better.

All in all, I just wanted to let you guys know that the scoop DOES fit the 01/2006+ production cars, that includes the Z4 3.0i Roadster, Z4 3.0Si Roadster and Z4 3.0Si Coupe along with the Z4M line as well. As you guys can see the performance numbers are there so what're you waiting for, call Eloy and order yours today!

On a side note, I think there was a combined HP in that shop of well over 1000HP between the two M5s, two Nobels, and Eloy's turbo charged Saturn Sky, my lowly 3.0Si was definitely the odd ball out. The guys are RPI run a top notch shop with great customer service. Eloy even ordered some pizzas when lunch time rolled around while we waited. Great people, great service, great parts, and a strong dedication to proven performance. Not much more you can ask for from a shop. :thumbsup:

For you pre-01/2006 guys if someone is local and wants to drop their car off for a few days, I think Eloy may be willing to designed a new scoop for you guys.

I took a few videos of the dyno run with my camera phone but I doubt its even worth posting so I just attached the dyno sheets for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks Again Eloy
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    I have one and Love it !

My Cars
    Z4Si Coupe
    Now tell em to make some damn skid plates for us!

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    What were the results from the 2-3 stock run?
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    anyone have a link for the product?

My Cars
    Z4 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
    anyone have a link for the product?
    http://www.raceprecision.com/p_pages/ra_z4_m.htm

That's the part for the M, which I guess is the same apart from the 8-12 hp advertised vs. the 6 or so it seems we'll get with our si's

My Cars
    Can they make one gold plated? One can never have enough gold.

My Cars
    08 E90 335i
    I need to see a picture installed and how it looks if you can see it through the grill.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
    What were the results from the 2-3 stock run?
    See the first picture, that was the highest of the stock runs, that was with the stock intake scoop off (error) and a fresh car and atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by dtothepowerofp View Post
    Can they make one gold plated? One can never have enough gold.
    If you really wanted it you can have it powdercoated any color of the rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by anpmech View Post
    I need to see a picture installed and how it looks if you can see it through the grill.
    I opted for the RED scoop, they offer a BLACK scoop as well which is virtually invisible. Here is a RED scoop on a white Z4MCoupe

and here is a BLACK scoop on a grey Z4MCoupe

I will get some of my car with the RED one later after I wash my car.

My Cars
    2002 M5
    I still have a hard time believing this won't fit the early year Z4s. I know, I've seen and read the same info as others, but with the removal of the cross brace, ala dinan kit, I can't imagine the inlet is that different.

Dinan doesn't seem to have a problem marketing their scoop for the later models.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    The Dinan scoop is listed from 03-05, i believe a few people called and they said "it might fit"

The RPI scoop has been tested on TWO pre-06 Z4s and both did not fit. It simply isn't the same as the 01/2006 and up. The intake duct part : 13717514869 is different then the one the Z4M and 06+ Z4s share.

The cross brace is no longer just the part at question the inlet is different as well.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0si '07
    Some quick questions for anyone in the know.....

Is this something that you can just bolt on?

How is the filtration versus the stock?

Does it void your warranty if you install it?

It was mentioned that the ECU adapted to the part? Is this something that is normal for BMW's or all cars?

It sounds pretty cool I do want one.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark 07 View Post
    Some quick questions for anyone in the know.....

Is this something that you can just bolt on?

How is the filtration versus the stock?

Does it void your warranty if you install it?

It was mentioned that the ECU adapted to the part? Is this something that is normal for BMW's or all cars?

It sounds pretty cool I do want one.
    1) Yes it is very easy to install yourself. You need only to remove your front grills and have a long phillips screw driver and maybe a pair of needle nose pliers. Its all documented on the RPI website.

2) This does not effect the filtration. It greatly improves the effectiveness of the stock intake box through a "ram air" effect. You maintain your stock filter and intake.

3) This is always a question that comes up for any mods, with something this simple if you were to run into any problems a simple uninstall can easily be done.

4) Yes the BMW ECU is very good at adapting to most mods; intake, exhaust, etc. to an extent. This means that the RPI intake scoop can be installed AND see gains WITHOUT an aftermarket software which as we know right now is unavailable for our cars.

On a side note it was very interesting watching the car put out higher and higher numbers each subsequent dyno run as the ECU adapted to the new inflow of pressurized air.

5) Call up Eloy @ RPI and order one today. The Z4M guys are snatching them up too, so there may be a wait for them so get your spot now.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0si '07
    Yeah I will definitely get on that list. I have to say the warranty is what bothers me the most about any aftermarket parts especially with Bimmers. I was thinking with all the computers in the car that if I installed this part and had problems one of the "computers" would tattle even if I removed the part and placed the stock part back on.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    Highly doubtful, we aren't quite to the space age era of computers overthrowing humans just yet.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0si '07
    I have to disagree Zealot I work for the Air Force Research & Testing Laboratories and everyday I am waiting for "Skynet" (see Terminator movie) to come online and get us. Unmanned drones, robot soldiers, they already exist, its only a matter of time.

On a more serious note I was wondering does it add any noise like exhaust or intake would? What kind of noise if it does "whoosh" or "grrrr"?

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    I haven't heard any noticeable noise increase from adding the scoop. A few Z4Ms have noted a little more intake growl but not I. I haven't had much time on the car yet aside from the 1.5 hr drive back from RPI; that was all 90 mph on the freeway with the iPod blasting and A/C on.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0si '07
    As long as it doesn't sound like a riced out civic I'm down with it.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    It does not at all, like I mentioned little to no change. When I pulled my car out to wash it today, gave it a few revs, didn't notice any difference. There is actually no way our cars can sound like a "riced out civic" because our engines are so drastically different. Even if you put on a 4" tipped "fart can"

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
    See the first picture, that was the highest of the stock runs, that was with the stock intake scoop off (error) and a fresh car and atmosphere
    So what were the results of the two other runs done for stock?

I'm looking for 1st run, 2nd run, 3rd run (stock), 4th run, 5th run, 6th, 7th (scoop) numbers.

And will you be planning on taking it back to get dyno'ed in a week or two once the ECU adapts?
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    I dont have the printouts for those first runs, I think it started off around 199, second was 202, third was 200 those are ALL stock runs. We took the highest of it as our "base stock HP" Then the 4 runs WITH the scoop, we noticed a drop and then gradual increases run after run as the ECU adapted to the new increase in air flow. I would love to but its 200 miles there and back. Hopefully someone closer to RPI will be picking up a scoop and provide more numbers.

My Cars
    540i, Z4M, '02tii, 328i
    OK I'm already drooling - please tell me this will fit a 2007 Z4 M Roadster and not just the coupe????

If so, I'm ordering it in the morning.

Freude am Fahren

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    Yes it was originally made for the Z4M Coupe and Z4M Roadster; but, it was discovered yesterday that it does in fact 01/2006+ Z4s as well.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    alot of the results are on zpost and bimmerfest ? check out there for dyno results !

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...185835&page=28

My Cars
    2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    Yes also on ZPost is the original thread for the Z4M scoop when it was first introduced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast