Thread: E34/E39 Automatic Transmissions

My Cars
    91 525i, 74 2002

E34/E39 Automatic Transmissions

Ok, I've used search and read a ton of automatic transmission problem threads. Did I distill these threads correctly? Is it the later 3's that really have the bulk of the auto tranny failures? Or do the E34/E39 also have their good share of a number of failures too? Sorry if I missed the answer to this one. But thanks for any feedback!
    Bob

My Cars
    Suck
    I don't know what you mean by "the later 3's", nor do I understand why you'd be asking about the 3 series in the e34 section, but so far as the automatic transmission in the e34 goes, there's the 4hp22, the 4hp22e, I believe the 4hp24, the 5hp30, and the GM tranny, whose model designation escapes me at the moment.

So far as the 4hp trannies go, they're all pretty much the same. The big differences between the 22s and the 24s are minor, limited to things like stator shaft size and a couple clutch pack differences. The real "weak points" on these are the steel seals on the stator, which can wear over time and lead to premature front clutch failure. The other weak point is the floating planetary, but it's a weak point in the sense that you have to do really stupid stuff in order to get it to fail, like rapid changes between reverse and drive, or neutral drops. The stator seals are fixed with new teflon seals, the clutches and shims are cheap at roughly $6 each. The floating planetary is just the way the trannies are designed, don't think of it in terms of bad. I've seen and heard of a few things going bad on the 5hp30, but nothing that would indicate a trend.

The GM box seems to have a few issues, including things like the seal between the front pump and the body going bad, leading to shifting issues, solenoid failures leading to shifting and not going into reverse issues, and problems with wire chafing leading to solenoid and shifting issues. Is there anything specific you need to know?

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    The 5HP30 has the valve body issue which can cause catastrophic failure. Luckily, it is a progressive failure, so it isn't as though you crank the car one morning, put it in reverse, and boom, your trans goes legs-up on you. There are usually a variety of warning signs.

My Cars
    91 525i, 74 2002
    thanks, all. I'm a manual tranny guy all my life and I'm looking for either an E34 or E39 Wagon. the G/F says let's make this an automatic since we got 2 sticks already. what I'm really asking is are the E34/E39 automatics prone to failure at 100K? I thought I heard that but then someone said no, it was the 3's that had the problem. What's the answer, oh Wise Guys? Again, TIA!
    Bob

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Well, my 5HP30 was on its way out when I decided to be proactive, after 150k. A lot of the issues stem from the "lifetime fill" BS they use. If you change the fluid every 40-50k, it should help considerably.

If you are looking for a touring, then you don't have to worry about the 5HP30 issue anyway, as it was never used in a US touring. (no US 540it)

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I
    All Auto Bmw Tranny's Are Crap.

/thread
    IF MY CAPS OFFEND YOU, BLOCK ME.
    AND IF YOU NOTICE THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD CAP'ED...... IT'S DONE AUTOMATICALLY BY THE FORUM BECAUSE I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS DO THIS, LIKE WHEN I QUOTE OTHER POSTS.AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, REFER TO FIRST SENTENCE IN MY SIG.

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by yeewiz View Post
    thanks, all. I'm a manual tranny guy all my life and I'm looking for either an E34 or E39 Wagon. the G/F says let's make this an automatic since we got 2 sticks already. what I'm really asking is are the E34/E39 automatics prone to failure at 100K? I thought I heard that but then someone said no, it was the 3's that had the problem. What's the answer, oh Wise Guys? Again, TIA!

The answer? Find a GF that likes driving stick

Seriously though, the German tranny 100k service life thing is an urban myth. I'm on 239k on an original tranny, I threw a couple parts in it, yeah, but only because I took it apart in the first place to inspect it to see if those parts were failing. They weren't, I put it together wrong, ended up replacing the parts anyway.

Seriously, don't let 100kmi scare you off if the car's been well looked after.

Also, bear in mind, that even if your tranny DOES fail, they're dirt cheap. If you pick up a car with a 4hp22, they're all the same. The only differences are the bellhousings and the valve bodies, and you can interchange them. Pick up a tranny from a 3 series, swap it into a 5 series, and vice versa.

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by xatlas0 View Post
    Well, my 5HP30 was on its way out when I decided to be proactive, after 150k. A lot of the issues stem from the "lifetime fill" BS they use. If you change the fluid every 40-50k, it should help considerably.

If you are looking for a touring, then you don't have to worry about the 5HP30 issue anyway, as it was never used in a US touring. (no US 540it)
    Did we get the 530iT? I'm not up on my to speed on the tourings, was there a 530iT for USA? I know I've seen one on the board (or two) but it may well have been a grey market car. The 530 would have had the 5hp30 also.

Quote Originally Posted by robmpulse View Post
    All Auto Bmw Tranny's Are Crap.

/thread

Not true, there are many people driving these transmissions every day that are quite pleased with them. I count myself among the ranks.

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    Did we get the 530iT? I'm not up on my to speed on the tourings, was there a 530iT for USA? I know I've seen one on the board (or two) but it may well have been a grey market car. The 530 would have had the 5hp30 also.

Not true, there are many people driving these transmissions every day that are quite pleased with them. I count myself among the ranks.
    530 doesn't use the 5HP30. It uses a trans also used in the 3 series cars.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=24&fg=05

My Cars
    91 525i, 74 2002

How cheap is a replacement tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    Also, bear in mind, that even if your tranny DOES fail, they're dirt cheap. If you pick up a car with a 4hp22, they're all the same. The only differences are the bellhousings and the valve bodies, and you can interchange them. Pick up a tranny from a 3 series, swap it into a 5 series, and vice versa.
    Thanks for the info on the tranny models. I'm looking at mostly 525iT's or 528iT. Haven't seen 530iT, and staying away from 540iT. How much is dirt cheap? Where do you get these, eBay? Junkyard?
    Bob

My Cars
    1992 535i ,building s38-e30
    IF you can afford a girlfriend...you can afford to rebuild a trans.

My Cars
    84 635csi, 94 530i Touring
    when hes talking about later 3's tranny failers hes talking about a well documented problem with the GM trannys that like to blow up their reverse...more specifically, this is the tranny that went behind all 3.0L inline 6 engines....from 530i's to 330i's to X3s and X5's...

in fact when my friend was buying an X3 for his mom the x3 they took for a spin developed that exact problem....the dealer tried to back it out and its like he was in neutral...

auto's suck....period

i converted my 530iT to stick due to the fact that the tranny rebuild would cost twice as much as converting it to stick...

and my parts car 540i...u guessed it, i picked it up for dirt cheap cuz of a bad auto tranny...

- 1994 530iT: M60B40'd + 5spd conversion , 18" Style 32's, deleted resonator, angel eyes, Voltglands, Erebuni ACS body kit, 10" sub and amp, Alpine deck, 255lph fuel pump, 6K HID.
    - 1984 635CSI: 92 535 M30 5spd, Koni Yellows, Eibachs, Magnaflow cat + catback, short throw shifter, Style 5's, 2x 10" subs. STOLEN! yea my baby's gone

My Cars
    Ok, I've used search and read a ton of automatic transmission problem threads. Did I distill these threads correctly? Is it the later 3's that really have the bulk of the auto tranny failures?
    Most of the stories relate to 1999 E46 production. GM Strasbourg forgot how to build a transmission for a few months, resulting in a batch of cars, particularly 323s, with hydramatics that had a near 100% failure rate (I won't say total because there are probably a few originals out there). Many were done by 80k miles, some much earlier. The benefit and downfall of BMW's use of GM autos is that it's a GM.

Or do the E34/E39 also have their good share of a number of failures too? Sorry if I missed the answer to this one. But thanks for any feedback!
    The GM units used in E34/E39 (and E36/E46) cars are generally reliable, but suffer from a few maladies. The later ones like to blow up (the stamped steel) d-g drums. Most places will want to rebuild the transmission at that point, although it is probably not necessary. Good BMW indys are well versed in this repair.

If you're set on an E34/E39 Touring, you'll only find GMs in them, the exceptions being the ZF 5hp-18 used in the E34 530iT and what I remember as a version of the ZF 5HP-19 used in the last years of E39 525iT production.
    Breaking now...

E65/E66: '04 760Li, '08 750Li
    E60: '08 535xi, '08 528xi, '07 530xi
    E53: '02 4.4i, '05 4.4i, '03 3.0i
    E46: '01 330ci
    E39: '97 528i, '01 530i x3
    E38: '01 740iL
    E36: '98 328i
    E34: '92 525i
    ...and various others > more pics & info

>> Like my facebook page - facebook.com/bimmerpc

My Cars
    91 525i, 74 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell View Post
    The GM units used in E34/E39 (and E36/E46) cars are generally reliable, but suffer from a few maladies. The later ones like to blow up (the stamped steel) d-g drums.
    Thanks all for great info. Uh, sorry, but what does "blow up (the stamped steel) d-g drums" mean? Oh, and which years are the "later" years. Sorry to be a dunce. Thanks again!
    Last edited by yeewiz; 03-21-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added "later" years question
    Bob