Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Z4 for Shark Injector installation test.

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1994 325is

Looking for a Z4 for Shark Injector installation test.

Hi, My name is Drew and I run the Shark Injector program for Turner Motorsport. The Shark Injector performance software for the Z4 (M54/M56 2003-2005) is almost ready. The calibrations and initial testing have been done so now we're at the point where we need a car or two to dyno and run through the installation with. We've already had a few 330s and 325s in but the Z4 should be tested too.

If you're local to Massachusetts and would like a deal on performance software for your Z4, PM or e-mail me for more details.

Applies to Z4 2.5 and Z4 3.0, 2003-2005, manual or auto.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by drewwtms; 03-14-2008 at 04:39 PM.
    D. Drew Ingram
    Turner Motorsport Web Dept.
    Conforti Software Support
    drew@turnermotorsport.com

My Cars
    Z4 coupe
    Pity you don't have one for the N52 series Z4's yet. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by vachss View Post
    Pity you don't have one for the N52 series Z4's yet. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.
    Don't despair. You won't be left out.
    D. Drew Ingram

My Cars
    2000 Evergreen M Coupe,
    Z4 M Coupe?
    Minsoo

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    2015 Black Metallic Nissan GT-R Black Edition
    2015 Protonic Blue BMW i8 Pure Impulse Edition
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

My Cars

MZ-4 Coupe shark?

Quote Originally Posted by MGRMLN View Post
    Z4 M Coupe?
    +1

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
    Z4 M Coupe?
    +2

My Cars
    2002 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by drewwtms View Post
    Applies to Z4 2.5 and Z4 3.0, 2003-2005, manual or auto.
    Curious, will there be no SMG version of the software?

My Cars
    Z4MC, 335i

Z4m + 3

Z4 M coupe or roadster software is what we want. We're tired of waiting and don't want to deal with lesser companies. The customers have spoken.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 Coupe
    If and when you need a car for the For the 06-08 Sis send me a pm, Im in MA and will gladly head on over

My Cars
    yugo
    I am interested! Too bad I am not in MA.

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Curious, will there be no SMG version of the software?
    It will also apply to SMG. Full details on the specifics to follow. Right now we just need a car for the test install.
    D. Drew Ingram

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by car62 View Post
    Z4 M coupe or roadster software is what we want. We're tired of waiting and don't want to deal with lesser companies. The customers have spoken.
    I don't have specifics from Conforti but if the change to the Z4 M is anything like what went on between early and late M54, it will be a big hurdle for Conforti to cross. The Shark Injector for the late E46 325/330 and Z4 required a major change to the Shark Injector operation and the install on these cars is quite a bit different than all of the previous models.

I'm sure he will be offering a Shark Injector upgrade for the Z4 M but will not rush something to market.

Stay tuned!
    D. Drew Ingram

My Cars
    2002 M5
    Thank you for the update! I look forward to being a customer when it becomes available.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci
    If you want to ship one to Cincinnati I'll let you know what i think I had one on my 328ci and loved it.

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
    If you want to ship one to Cincinnati I'll let you know what i think I had one on my 328ci and loved it.
    Well, only if they can box me up to go along with it - I kind of have to be there to watch the installation. That's all we're really doing is verifying that the install is the same as on the E46. We're working with a couple of people now to get them in.
    D. Drew Ingram

My Cars
    2000 328Ci
    Why in the heck would you want to come to Cincinnati??? there's not much going on here, hahaha.

Hopefully everything works out! Loved it on my e46, will definitely order one for the Z!

My Cars
    Z4 coupe
    Drew, Is it your expectation that the Shark Injector will allow for the actuation of the Sport mode in vehicles not originally equipped with a Sport Button? I am playing around with hacking the voltages in my accelerator pedal module to obtain a similar effect in the analog domain, but if everything could be done digitally I'd be just as happy to wait for the Shark.

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1994 325is
    Update - it looks like we'll have at least one car in this coming week for an install. I'll of course post an update with our results but I don't forsee any major differences between the Z4 and the E46s we have done.

Quote Originally Posted by vachss View Post
    Drew, Is it your expectation that the Shark Injector will allow for the actuation of the Sport mode in vehicles not originally equipped with a Sport Button?
    I don't believe it would unless there was a way to make the DME think it was in a Sport Mode. There are enhancements to the throttle response in standard mode that will make the car feel like a Sport Mode has been activated. But it does not engage a 'hidden' Sport Mode.
    D. Drew Ingram

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    Drew, just curious what makes testing/dyno'ing a Z4 with an SMG tranny would be different than a straight manual. Does it have to do with controlling the clutch?
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

My Cars
    2002 M5
    I'm not sure he did say it was any different. Its entirely possible the SMG version would just be the manual version, as the software could be only modifying things entirely unrelated to the smg operation. I have heard however that dyno'ing the steptronic is difficult, as it will up / downshift itself at certain points. Thats one thing our SMG won't do (assuming you don't put it in A mode).

I've been trying to hold my tongue and my questions until we hear more about product release, but I'm quite excited for this as well.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Just curious...what does almost ready mean?

Day's? Weeks? Months?

Thanks,

Frank

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I'm not sure he did say it was any different. Its entirely possible the SMG version would just be the manual version, as the software could be only modifying things entirely unrelated to the smg operation. I have heard however that dyno'ing the steptronic is difficult, as it will up / downshift itself at certain points. Thats one thing our SMG won't do (assuming you don't put it in A mode).
    Drew had PM'd me when I offered my Z4 for the test. He said they wanted a manual, that they couldn't use an SMG... was just wondering why as an SMG is a manual with a computer controlled clutch. <shrug>
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

My Cars
    yugo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallatauer View Post
    computer controlled
    Thats the key phrase. Probably harder to program?

My Cars
    2002 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by ginz111 View Post
    Probably harder to program?
    Given the fact that Drew said SMG software will be available, I hypothesize that the shark software will not affect any of the SMG control software. There really would be no need to re-write the shift tables, as it would not change any of the critical inputs, like throttle sensor, gear ratios, and rev matching.

I'm guessing the SMG software will simply be the manual software, or with some nominal changes. That being said, I too am curious why they would not want an SMG to test. Perhaps it requires some extra steps to dyno, ala the M3 SMGs, or perhaps its as simple as they've already had one in! (or the even rarer US spec E46 330i SMG)

In terms of being "harder to control" on a dyno, I don't think that would be the case. After all, its even easier to "control" then a true manual.

Drew, any insight on our little case would be appreciated if you could shed some light. The curiosity is killing me. Like I said, I wanted to hold my questions but with others asking I had to jump in.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by fabulousfrankie View Post
    Just curious...what does almost ready mean?

Day's? Weeks? Months?

Thanks,

Frank
    Any guestimate of time frame?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast