Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diff clunking noise

My Cars
    04 M3, 04 Avalanche

Diff clunking noise

I am new here but have been lurking for quite some time. I have a 2004 M3 Laguna/black with a 6sd and have a clunking noise coming from the diff.

It only happens in first gear going no more than 5mph or 1000 RPM's, kinda like you are about to come up to a stop sign and need to stop and are going really slow.

So then I hit the clutch so I can stop without stalling and as the clutch engages I hear the clunking noise from the rear end.

Possible diff bolts loose, or need new fluid? I dont buy the whole "the M3 diff just makes noise" arguement. But is it true they just make noise? I have read other things it could be, but most of them were people making sharp turns or at high speeds.

I am going to take it to the dealer as it is still under warranty and have them take a look at it but wanted to get some opinions from everyone.

thanks

My Cars
    2003 M3
    There is a SB concerning an upgrade to the Diff fluid, Make sure they change the fluid with the new product. I have the part number if you need it. My car "cluncked" to until they changed the diff fluid.
    GandT

My Cars
    Bmw e46 m3 2004
    i`ve experienced the clunk noise on my car. When I checked the differential, I spotted my diff mounting defective. I sent it to the dealer and they change the diff cover as the mountings are one piece with the diff cover! have to changed the oil too..

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by AP E36M3 MB View Post
    I dont buy the whole "the M3 diff just makes noise" arguement. But is it true they just make noise?

Noise from drivetrain lash is normal.

My Cars
    +1 for some reason the M3's just have drivetrain noise.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    04 M3, 04 Avalanche
    When I checked the differential, I spotted my diff mounting defective.
    What exactly was defective? I'd like to take a look myself first, if there is anything.

Noise from drivetrain lash is normal.
    But at such low rpm's? not much torque is being produced at that point.

My Cars
    '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GandTM3 View Post
    There is a SB concerning an upgrade to the Diff fluid, Make sure they change the fluid with the new product. I have the part number if you need it. My car "cluncked" to until they changed the diff fluid.
    GandT
    I could use the number and price if you know it.. I needa do that this week coming up. Is it expensive?
    I owned a Honda once. It was more like the Slow and the Curious.

My Cars
    Bmw e46 m3 2004
    i replaced the diff cover, change the gasket and oil...The reason they change the diff cover is because the mounting is attched with the cover (not seperately).. and yes, even during low rpm between shifting it produced this loud clunk sound..

My Cars
    E46 M3 6MT
    My car goes to the dealer next Monday for the same issue, also under warranty. I will post what they determine.

My Cars
    04 M3, 04 Avalanche
    i replaced the diff cover, change the gasket and oil...The reason they change the diff cover is because the mounting is attched with the cover (not seperately).. and yes, even during low rpm between shifting it produced this loud clunk sound.
    Was there something you could visually see when you looked or can it only be determined when you remove the cover?

Quote Originally Posted by OxfordM3 View Post
    My car goes to the dealer next Monday for the same issue, also under warranty. I will post what they determine.
    Excellent, I am waiting for my rear view mirror to come in. When it does I am going to bring it in for that and the diff. noise, be nice to have some heads up before.

My Cars
    C6 Z06, F250 Harley
    Thats just the normal clunk you are hearing. Most likely your car if its an 04 has the new differential fluid. The noise you would hear from bad differential fluid is probably more of a grind and usually does it when you are turning in tight radius.
    2010 F250 Harley Edition
    2007 Z06- Current Addiction
    2003 M3- Sold
    2005 R1- Sold
    2004 CTS- Sold
    2002 Lightning-Sold

My Cars
    04 M3, 04 Avalanche
    Quote Originally Posted by egyptntree View Post
    Thats just the normal clunk you are hearing. Most likely your car if its an 04 has the new differential fluid. The noise you would hear from bad differential fluid is probably more of a grind and usually does it when you are turning in tight radius.

When did the change over happen, after MY03?

My Cars
    C6 Z06, F250 Harley
    Not too sure on that. I think if you check your service record you will see if it has been changed or not. From what you described though it just seems like the typical M clunk. If you are in 1st gear and let off the gas at say 5 or 10mph you may hear the clunk again. Bmw leaves play or lash in the drive train for some reason.
    2010 F250 Harley Edition
    2007 Z06- Current Addiction
    2003 M3- Sold
    2005 R1- Sold
    2004 CTS- Sold
    2002 Lightning-Sold

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by egyptntree View Post
    Not too sure on that. I think if you check your service record you will see if it has been changed or not. From what you described though it just seems like the typical M clunk. If you are in 1st gear and let off the gas at say 5 or 10mph you may hear the clunk again. Bmw leaves play or lash in the drive train for some reason.
    It's the ///M-Clunk differential.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    1998 Honda Accord LX
    Change your diff fluid... this is normal for E46's but just as a precaution I suggest changing your fluid.

kthxbai

My Cars
    M3
    Its just the fluid that BMW uses nothing to worry about... you can get it changed with i think its called redline or something like that usually takes care of the clunking

My Cars
    E46 M3 6MT
    I was not satisfied with the "its normal" response, in the process of getting a new diff under warranty.

My Cars
    04 M3, 04 Avalanche
    I was not satisfied with the "its normal" response, in the process of getting a new diff under warranty.
    I am bringing the car in Friday for other a few other things including this.

So they said it was normal eh? How did you pull off the new diff.?

Sweet talk em? or refuse to leave until they gave you a new one?

My Cars
    E46 M3 6MT
    I have a pretty good relationship with my SA, so it wasn't too bad. Most dealerships will insist that the clunk is completely normal......be polite and stand your ground. My point to them was that the car did not make such a horrid clunking noise when I bought it, so it is in fact not "normal".

Quote Originally Posted by AP E36M3 MB View Post
    I am bringing the car in Friday for other a few other things including this.

So they said it was normal eh? How did you pull off the new diff.?

Sweet talk em? or refuse to leave until they gave you a new one?

My Cars
    04 M3, 04 Avalanche
    I have a pretty good relationship with my SA, so it wasn't too bad. Most dealerships will insist that the clunk is completely normal......be polite and stand your ground. My point to them was that the car did not make such a horrid clunking noise when I bought it, so it is in fact not "normal".
    Cool, the SA I had last time was a nice guy and very helpful so I will try and track him down for my first point of contact, since he is handling a couple other smaller warranty issues I will ask for him.

I'll report back with updates tomorrow

My Cars
    04 M3, 04 Avalanche
    Just got back from the dealer here and all went well as I expected. Unfortunately I got the usual explination of the drive train knock and that it is typical for the M cars. I still dont buy it because like Oxford and many others state it wasnt there from the start.

I dont have a long standing relationship with the dealer here (only been here for about 8 months) so even when I stood my ground they wouldnt budge. I still have about 4K miles or 7 months left on the warranty so I have some time to figure out what to do.

Other than that they were great, I am getting my rear window weather stripping on both sides, replaced under warranty as they are starting to dry rot.

My Cars
    E46 M3 6MT
    Sorry to hear the news. How bad/loud is your diff clunk? Did they offer to change out the diff fluid to see if that would help? I believe there is a service bulletin about that, although it might have been for 01-03 cars, I'm not certain though.

My Cars
    04 M3, 04 Avalanche
    Sorry to hear the news. How bad/loud is your diff clunk? Did they offer to change out the diff fluid to see if that would help? I believe there is a service bulletin about that, although it might have been for 01-03 cars, I'm not certain though.
    I dont know what would be considered bad compared to yours, but I can hear the clunk, an audible one, when putting it into 1st or reverse from neutral. It doesnt do this all the time.

It is a bit louder (not by much) when I am engaging the clutch as described in the first post. It wont do this every single time, but it is tough to describe when it does happen.

Hell, even the SA that I had said his M3 does it too and that it is a typical clunk. I wanted to ask him under what circumstances it happens to him but when I went back to get it he wasnt around.

My Cars
    2008 M5
    damn, I have the exact same noise/clunk with my mcoupe and my buddy who's a BMR tech says its normal. He event as far to say hat its worse on the E46 M3 and I would have accept it. Its an ///M car thing he says.
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    2008 M5
    my question is do the smg cars have this clunk too?
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast