Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Water Pumps

My Cars
    M3

Aftermarket Water Pumps

Just got off the phone with a non-Dealer and will respected BMW mechanic and "builder" here in Houston.

They are making repairs after the oil pump nut fell off and I will post the results of that later.

We were talking about prevenative maintenance items. I mentioned that I replaced my water pump at 48K miles. He asked what water pump manufacturer I used. Told him the one with the cast iron impeller( Bimmerparts.com). He said I should replace it with the new OE factory composite unit good for 60- 75K miles. He's not sure the reason but they have seen failures of those units(cast iron impeller) in as little as 20K miles. Also the cast impeller can cause additional damage.

I had read here where someone had a quick failure as he suggested.

I will be changing mine soon with the OE unit, list price $87.95. Cheap insurance in my book and not an item I want to skimp on. Just wanted to give you a "heads up".
    Kenny...

"...and despite your rather demented sense of humor, poor board manners, and general attitude, you drive well."

My Cars
    Yes
    Eep! I just put one of those aftermarket pumps with the cast impeller (Graf or Geba, I can't remember) in my car about 20k miles ago.

Kenzo, do you have any information on the brand of pump that's been failing, or if it is a problem with all pumps with cast impellers? Also, do you know what kinds of failures they have been seeing (bad bearings, shaft failure, cracked impellers)?

My Cars
    M3
    You want the OE composite, looks and feels like metal I'm told or welded SS steel OE(this was in my 99).

The cast impeller types are the problem pumps. Failure mode uncertain but cast impeller has in some cases caused additional damage to surface it spins inside.
    Kenny...

"...and despite your rather demented sense of humor, poor board manners, and general attitude, you drive well."

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Kenzo, thanks for giving the heads-up. I have a metal impeller pump waiting to be installed, but I may return it and get an OE one. Do you by any chance have a part number for this OE composite pump? Thanks!

edit: and what year bmw is the composite pump from? in other words, if I went to a dealer in order to find this part, what year/model should I tell them it's from? thanks again.
    Last edited by ////\/\ark; 05-02-2003 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    M3/4, 8V GTI, Jeep GC
    Wow, I really was fortunate to have forgotten to order a water pump from Bavarian Autosport when I did my replacements.

I got one from the Stealer, the composite one and must say that I am impressed with it. The impeller feels and sounds like steel when you tap it but is really a composite.

If you live in the San Jose area, go see Paul at Stevens Creek BMW. Knowledgable parts man and all around good guy.

M3 Sedan Club #77

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I just called Pacific BMW, and I found out that the part number for the composite pump is:

11 51 7 527 799

If anyone can confirm this somehow, that would be great. I'll probably be returning my cast pump and getting the composite. There's no sense in saving $20 or $30 for something that may cause big time damage, in my mind.

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    My 'M3 is one of the last '99s produced. Do we know which water pump it came with?
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    '97 M3/328i-'74/'76 02s
    Interesting that the new pump is composite.

So from reading all the treads (and adding some of my own knowledge) the E36 waterpump history (6 cylinder) looks like:

1) All cars had plastic water pumps through 8 or 9 or 10/96 production date. These usually broke somewhere north of 60,000 (assuming average street car) and you end up overheating.

2) From 8 or 9 or 10/96 until ?/99/00/01?? they went with the metal water pumps. Reliability has been pretty good with these. As a datapoint I'm at 82,000 on my 12/96 production metal water pump right now.

3) Now they have gone to composite pumps, they seem to last as long as the metal type. Pump is probably too new to have any real world data.

-Note: Some other "OEM" aftermarket pumps, although they were metal are of poor quality. Bad "OEM" aftermarket waterpumps have plagued BMW's since the 2002 days.

Anyone have any more specifics?

-Justin
    '76 02
    '97 m3
    --
    '74 tii
    '76 02
    '97 328i
    '97 m3
    http://www.bmw2002.net

My Cars
    98 m3
    So the waterpump that came with my 98 m3 is the "more reliable" one, right? You guys would still definitly recommend me to replacing to a composit waterpump. (@ 80,000 miles now)
    I am just a little confused, some are saying, metal, some are saying composite is best for replacement...
    1998 m3
    2016 VW Golf R
    2002 Ducati Monster 900
    2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2013 Aprilia RSV4

My Cars
    M3
    Originally posted by ////\/\ark
    I just called Pacific BMW, and I found out that the part number for the composite pump is:

11 51 7 527 799

If anyone can confirm this somehow, that would be great. I'll probably be returning my cast pump and getting the composite. There's no sense in saving $20 or $30 for something that may cause big time damage, in my mind.
    That's the one I purchased yesterday, $67.96 + tax(CCA discount). It's hard black plastic that's a different design/shape of old problem units.
    Kenny...

My Cars
    M3
    Originally posted by paul e
    My 'M3 is one of the last '99s produced. Do we know which water pump it came with?
    My 3/99 production had a ss metal welded unit. Replaced at ~46K with cast, now replacing at ~51K with OE BMW plastic.

Anyone that still thinks the cast metal one is good I have one with less than 5K miles I'll sell for cheap.
    Kenny...

My Cars
    M3
    Originally posted by crazn
    So the waterpump that came with my 98 m3 is the "more reliable" one, right? You guys would still definitly recommend me to replacing to a composit waterpump. (@ 80,000 miles now)
    I am just a little confused, some are saying, metal, some are saying composite is best for replacement...
    If you have 80K on your waterpump I would replace the new OE BMW pump(black plastic).

There may be a few welded stainless steel BMW OE's left which are also good but being replaced by new plastic units as stock is depleted.

Cast iron(metal OEM) bad...

Stainless steel (welded metal OE)good...

Old plastic bad...

New plastic good...

Everyone confused? Good.
    Kenny...

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    damn just ordered a metal impeller one from bimmerparts

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    has anyone one had any problems with the one from bimmer parts?

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Kenzo, why did you replace your original with 48k on the clock? I was under an impression that the 97+ metal were pretty durable (although the new composite may be better).
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    Kenny, I have used 2 Geba metal impeller water pumps w/out major issues. The first pump lasted about 50k until the freeze plug started leaking. The second one has around 25k on it and no probs so far. Did BMS give any more details on the failures? Were these on the track or street?
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    03 X5 3.0L Titanium Silver
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...
    Excellence is a habit, not an act.

My Cars
    e36 M3, e36 325i
    My original metal pump in my 97 M3 started leaking at 38,000 miles.
    <font size="1">97 M3 coupe dakar yellow/ alcantara
    UUC TME, UUC Comp Evo SSK w/ delrin carrier bushing & cartridge bearing, BBS RX 18", H&R coilover, euro clears, AC roof spoiler, RD sway bars, RD strut bar, X-brace, Ground control street stability kit (rear trailing arm bushing enforcer), e46 M3 RSM, Z3 reinforcement plate, Hamann kidney grille cover, OEM trunk spoiler, Schrick intake manifold, fan delete mod, underdrive crank pulley, debaffled & euro snorkel and K&N drop-in, UUC system-U DTM exhaust, glove box motorsport carbon fiber trim, AC pedals and knob, 35% tint, Zimmermann cross-drilled, EBC Greens.

92 325i estoril blue M3 look
    Motorsport International badge M3 door mouldings, 97+ kidney grill, AA chip, fan delete mod, debaflled & euro snorkel and K&N drop-in, RD exhaust, RD trunkspoiler, AC roof spoiler, Euro M-Technic steering wheel, Rob magnum knob, strut bar, Eibach pro-kit, fr Bilstein sport, rr Koni SA, sport pack sway bar, X-brace, 97 M3 spec front control arm bushing & RTAB, updated front strut bearings and mount to newer style, short shift and UUC delrin carrier bushings, UUC pedals, UUC clutch arm bushing, Stillen slotted rotors, KVR brake pads, M Doublespoke II, euro clears, AC aluminum pin strip decal, 35% tint.</font>

My Cars
    M3
    Originally posted by frayed
    Kenzo, why did you replace your original with 48k on the clock? I was under an impression that the 97+ metal were pretty durable (although the new composite may be better).
    Originally posted by BJO
    Kenny, I have used 2 Geba metal impeller water pumps w/out major issues. The first pump lasted about 50k until the freeze plug started leaking. The second one has around 25k on it and no probs so far. Did BMS give any more details on the failures? Were these on the track or street?
    When the OE BMW fail it's usally the bearings, they lock up throwing the belt(s). The can take out your fan and even the radiator. You are going no where. This typically takes place from 40K-75K miles(from different sources & Rondel confirms). When I removed my OE BMW SS welded metal pump there was some "play" in the bearings, the new OE plastic bearings are tight as a drum.

The OEM cast iron impeller units(OEM/Geba/Bimmerparts) have reported failures <10K miles wth the results above. PLUS the cast iron impeller has damaged the interior surface where the impeller spins with expensive repairs. The OEM cast iron impeller units(OEM/Geba/Bimmerparts) I purchase had "play" in the bearings new out of the box! It is being replaced with new OE BMW plastic with ~5K miles on it(will be my spare...maybe).

Who's to say the OE BMW won't fail when I first pull out of the drive way. But with confirmed reported failures plus additional damage it's not where I'm willing to cut corners. Same with OEM thermostat from Bimmerparts(it's now my spare) it is not by the OE manufacturer and just plain looks inferior/cheaper. On the other hand Bimmerparts belts ARE by the OE manufacturer just lack BMW logo and are cool with me.

It's just a choice everyone must make for themselves. I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up on the facts from reliable sources.
    Kenny...

My Cars
    99 M3 coupe
    Kenzo,

MANY THANKS for the heads-up. I happened to be having my mechanic change the water pump today and just sent him your post; now we're going to try to get the composite. Thanks as well to those who posted the part #.

Hope the part is readily available - if it's on order, I think I'm just going to go with the metal version. I'm trying to have all the "common issues" sorted out before the car arrives in LA.

Thanks again,
    ~Chris

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Interesting, looks like a new water pump is in order. Since I'm in there, I suppose I should just go ahead and put the cam kit in too.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Originally posted by frayed
    Since I'm in there, I suppose I should just go ahead and put the cam kit in too.
    That's the kind of logic we like here.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    M3
    Yeah, I was thinking about bolting on a Super Charger when I was changing my oil the other day. :-p

I need one to keep up the the young hot shoes...getting old and sloooow...
    Kenny...

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Well I just got off the phone with Pacific BMW. I placed an order for the composite pump, and I'm packing up my cast iron one to ship back to pelican parts. The total cost from Pacific was $68 with shipping (to Pittsburgh). :

My Cars
    2013 Kia Optima SX-L
    bump so others can see this. I also just ordered the part from Pacific BMW.

I ordered the same part number ////\/\ark listed above: 11 51 7 527 799. hopefully it is the right one

my total was $73 and some change shipped to Dallas

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast