Thread: The UNOFFICIAL E39 Touring Thread!

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    im leaning towards 19in lm reps

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Knudson

Go on.. live a little! be a little more daring than fake LM's

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    00 528iT; 99 Dinan 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by sean911sc View Post
    Will 8x18 ET13 and 8x9.5 ET25 fit after boring to 74.1mm? If so are spacers need?

Thx
    Yes - those are the size MPars I am running on my Touring - JT

Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonM3 View Post
    im leaning towards 19in lm reps
    Not a fan of 19" or larger wheels. I lean toward 18" wheels. It preserves both the ride quality of the car as well as the handling. When you go larger - it compromises both. IMHO - JT
    Last edited by Johntee540; 10-17-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Johntee540
    1999 e39 540iT
    S5 Dinan tune

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3891660/

My Cars
    07' 530xi Touring
    Anyone have the front bumper center trim (non-license plate) for a 03' 525 they don't need?

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Johntee540 View Post
    Yes - those are the size MPars I am running on my Touring - JT

Not a fan of 19" or larger wheels. I lean toward 18" wheels. It preserves both the ride quality of the car as well as the handling. When you go larger - it compromises both. IMHO - JT

Any pics of tourings on 18s?

Ill search as well but post up what you have guys!

My Cars
    E39it, 03 M5, F10 535

18X8.5frnt 18X9.5rr with Eibach pro kit up front and adjustable SLS links in the rear.
    E39 M5, E39 SC Touring, F10
    "Beating My Wallet" but loving it!

My Cars
    00 528iT; 99 Dinan 540iT

Here is a link to a set of my Favorite wheels - Rondell 58. They are 18's. They are on an e39 Touring. And they are for sale at a reasonable price. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1724597

JT
    Johntee540
    1999 e39 540iT
    S5 Dinan tune

My Cars
    07' 530xi Touring
    Can someone please post a backside image of OEM E39 M Par detailing the part number?

Thanks,

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '00 528iT spo
    I'm with JT, but ... down one inch.

I like the look of 18s, but run 17s (two sets) for ride quality. Even thinking of getting some 16s for winter wheels.

Keep in mind, I'm getting older.
    Last edited by jase007; 10-20-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    Jason

'90 325iX 5M, '00 528iT 5M Sport (mfg. 5/1999)
    BMW CCA member #130075
    JScott Racing

My Cars
    xx,xx,xx
    i cant really find the info i am looking for, so i figure i would ask it... what spring will have the lowers drop on my touring 525, eibach, h&r, or the st's?? thanks in advance
    -Tony

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Here is a link to a set of my Favorite wheels - Rondell 58. They are 18's. They are on an e39 Touring. And they are for sale at a reasonable price. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1724597

JT
    ya 18s look good. Im thinking 19 might look a tad large.

My Cars
    e34, e39
    I would go with 18", I think on the e39 that size looks the best. I'm running 17" because 1. that's what it came with and the tires have tons of tread 2. I really like the style 42's and 3. I plan to do light towing and going 18" and towing seemed foolish.

There's a set of MK Motorsports in 18x10 down here, if you can find a pair of 18x8.5 for the front you'd have a sweet set of wheels.
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    z3, 528it, 325xi
    I put H&R's with Koni's on my 528. It lowered it an inch

My Cars
    xx,xx,xx
    thanks

My Cars
    01 BMW 525i Touring

JT
    Guys whats the widest tire size tire for 17's styles 5's

My Cars
    2000 540i Wagon

little late

Quote Originally Posted by sfgearhead View Post
    I think I need a new mechanic. Sigh...

The alternator went on the touring on Monday. My wife came home from dropping the kid off at preschool and says "the battery light is on in the BMW". Great.

So I do a little price checking online, get sticker shock at the price of the stupid water cooled alternators. List price for a new BMW alternator is $1000. Some are going for $600 online. But then I find a local place that will rebuild it for $250, one day turn around. Score!

So Tuesday I yank the alternator and take it in. (I love how my 40 year old Alfa has lately been the "reliable" car.) While I'm trying to get the fan clutch off I manage to crack the upper radiator neck. Great, another $200 down the drain. And then of course when I get to the local shop the guy behind the counter informs me that they were mistaken and they can't find a seal kit for this radiator because it's water cooled. But he'd like to try, and if he can't rebuild it he'll sell me a brand new one for $350, but I probably won't get the parts back until Thursday. Nah, time for plan B.

My local import house has one in stock for $380 with a lifetime warranty, and since I also now need a radiator and might as well replace a few hoses since I'm in there, I opt to go that route.

Of course pretty much everything I need to pull to get at the alternator, I pulled two weeks ago to replace the expansion tank and fan shroud. So at least I know how to get them out quickly.

Luckily I didn't manage to break anything else, and since I had the front end apart I also threw in the timing chain tensioner that I had ordered a few weeks ago.

The good news was that I found two crush washers on the tensioner, which leads me to believe that the tensioner was replaced at least once. So again it looks like one of the PO's was taking care of her.

I also took her to a quarter car wash and blasted the crud off the front of the oil pan while the belly pan is off. Oh, and tightened the clamps on the power steering reservoir to try to reduce the leak, and keep the crud down. If that doesn't work, I'll replace them at some point.

So she's back up and running again, I just need to top up the coolant and bleed it a bit more and she'll be good to go. I hope this is the last big repair for a few months. <touch wood>

Now it's time to fix a few niggly issues on the Alfa that really started to bug me when I was driving it for two days.
    I know this is to late to help but maybe it will help someone else out there. I recently replaced a ton of stuff (alternator,power steering pump, thrust arms , secondary air injection ) on mine and ordered most of the parts from
    Rockauto.com prices were cheaper than anywhere else that I looked on the web for the same brands and delivery was quick.

Would like to post more often but I am a Marine and spend a lot of time "camping".

My Cars
    16' 328xiT /04' TSX 6MT
    All though I question the statement that larger rim sizes negatively affect handling, the affect they have on ride quality is only common sense.

Also, compared to 18" tires, 19's are a good deal more expensive overall. Although depending on what width you are looking to run 18's can be equally pricey.

I run 19's because I think they fit the E39 body style perfectly. But it also depends on how much other cosmetic work you have done to your car. A bone stock Touring would look rather silly on 19's IMO, but how effective your wheels are can also depend on what style wheel you choose.

I think my car looked fine on 18's when I first started modding it.

But the more I modded the car I also thought they started to look a little small, especially after the mtech rear bumper:

I mean, lets face it, the touring has a BIG ASS. Ask anyone, even Al Bundy will tell you, there's nothing worse than a fat lady trying to squeeze into shoes that are two sizes to small.

The good thing about all that mass in rear is that the wagon has the proportions to pull off a larger wheel without looking silly.

I questioned going larger because it was my daily driver, I thought tires would be to expensive, and I thought the ride would be horrendous.

Then I bit the bullet and went with the 19's i REALLY wanted, and now I will never go back.

Heck I even bought another set:

But I've also spent a lot of money on other aspects of the car so that the wheels don't look out of place.

Plus I no longer use the car as my daily driver, so I'm not overly concerned with things like tire wear and whether I will still have all my teeth in my head after my morning commute

You should really sit down and look at what you want to do to the car overall and then think about what it will be used for. Then you can feel more confident in choosing the right wheel.
    Last edited by hon2bmw; 10-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.

My Cars
    2000 540i Wagon

My Cars
    00 528iT; 99 Dinan 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by hon2bmw View Post
    All though I question the statement that larger rim sizes negatively affect handling, the affect they have on ride quality is only common sense.

Plus I no longer use the car as my daily driver, so I'm not overly concerned with things like tire wear and whether I will still have all my teeth in my head after my morning commute

You should really sit down and look at what you want to do to the car overall and then think about what it will be used for. Then you can feel more confident in choosing the right wheel.

I can agree with most of this post. The key point here being in BOLD BLUE. I did not want to start a religious war either. In terms of handling the larger the wheel you go there is a compromise you make in terms of handling. You may not believe that - but it is true. Why do I say this? Experience. I have been driving on the track for the last 7 years. and have built 5 track cars to do so. I have had M5's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3800782/1991-bmw-m5 ; 540's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1994-bmw-5-series ; and M3's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2590691/1990-bmw-m3 - all heavily modded to handle and run fast on the track. The M5 less so but you get the point.

I feel that most of us here do use our cars as DD. And most here go for the tasteful in terms of mods. <IMHO> Wheels and Mods are very very personal choices. I recognize that. I just feel that the 19" Wheels look very "ricey" or "cartoonish" on these cars. Couple that with the loss of Ride characteristics; compromise in handling I just dont get it.

When I mod my cars I mod them to improve them not to take away from them.

That being said - "You should really sit down and look at what you want to do to the car overall and then think about what it will be used for." is the best advice I have seen in this thread. And I remind everyone that YMMV and that opinions are like Assholes - everyone has one - including me. - JT
    Last edited by Johntee540; 10-25-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    Johntee540
    1999 e39 540iT
    S5 Dinan tune

My Cars
    07' 530xi Touring
    Looking for goos source for M5 mirrors.

Thanks,

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi JT

I agree with your 'sentiments' echoing what Hon2bmw said - to sit down and think further ahead to what your modding plans are and then choosing wisely the products you want to make that a reality.

However, do remember that the 'science' bit you mention whilst absolutely true when you analyse it and go to that granular level, isn't really relevant on public roads. The track, is the track and that's where performance increases by far outstrip any visual wants and desires, it's all about function there.

On the public streets, you are never going to achieve perhaps 20% of what you can do on the track, the differences there between an 18 and 19 inch wheel size for instance are going to be negligable. Although again, when analysed to that granular level, you may well get increased gas mileage, all the secondary considerations of gas pedal pressure, condition of the engine, suspension components, ambient air temperature, highway useage, shopping trolley duties, carrying of allsorts of extra weight in the car or not etc etc mean you'll not really be able to definitively say that 'get 18 inch as you'll get better mileage' to all E39 owners out there, to the extent all of us running on 19's will suddenly slap our heads and go to 18's to definitley get 40 miles extra out of a tank of fuel. The daily and real differences are negligable, I for one have never given it the slightest thought that if I get 475 miles out of my tankful, that with 17's I 'might' get as much as 530 miles.. ( i doubt the difference would be much more than perhaps 15-20 miles per tankful?)

So in direct answer to your question, the 'main' reason owners mod their public road cars is for visuals and aesthetics. Part of the modifying thing will of course consider things that are scientific based such as rotational mass and lightness, high quality construction and materials, but for many, and not just limited to BMW's - alot of mods are visual only whilst compromising every other aspect of the product - replica parts which have safety concerns and impact, cheap inferior quality goods just for the sake of it etc etc.

I sound like bit of a cracked record when I say, Alpina who's customers are more 'fussy' than BMW owners, spend millions of £/$ on their R&D, so do the other big BMW tuning companies, I recently learned that AC Schnitzer are the only BMW aftermarket tuner who crash test their exterior modifications so as to match BMW's own standards - surely Alpina know what they're doing when equipping the B10 V8S Touring with 19 inch wheels ?!

This forum and thread shows us all in a mature and discussion based way, which is why I really like it and that includes some and hopefully, more of you USA guys who I've actually met upon my US visits! from that, some of you will probably facepalm when I say I'm actively looking for 20 inch wheels for my Touring, just like some of the examples that have been showcased in this very thread! I am going for visual's however I also strongly believe in using the correct products, that are of suitably high enough quality to ensure safety and reliability isn't compromised to the extent that its substantially detrimental. I think in a nutshell, that's pretty much exactly what Alpina, AC Schnitzer, Hartge, Hamann etc etc do.

Sean911sc - are you wanting genuine ? or replica mirrors?! Genuine means BMW dealer or places like Tischer and Bavarian ( i think that's their names?!) and/or scouring ebay and the classifieds etc for a set from a breaking car. Replica or aftermarket items should be of high quality and perhaps would be found at EAS European Auto Source, and similar vendors etc.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 10-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.

My Cars
    xx,xx,xx
    i must say...well said,put dennis..
    -tony

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    agreed ^^^

My Cars
    2000 540i Wagon

Pictures of the Touring Finally. 19 inch M5 Replica wheels and stock 17's.

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Slam that business

Page 141 of 301 FirstFirst ... 4191116131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151166191241 ... LastLast