Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: VANOS and effective ranges

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D

VANOS and effective ranges

there is no end to the range of effectiveness of being able to alter the cam timing. Removing/disabling vanos narrows the powerband by cutting or removing total power from the system.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E30, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by techno550 View Post
    there is no end to the range of effectiveness of being able to alter the cam timing. Removing/disabling vanos narrows the powerband by cutting or removing total power from the system.
    so its like Vtec YO?!

(hahaha why am i getting into this hahaha)

Edit: im 16 and ahve the flu leave me alone i dunno what im talknig about :'(
    85' Turbo M50 E30 | 95' M3 Nitrous, Coilovers, DJ Autos, UUC SSK

My Cars
    BMWs
    Edit: im not posting an IM as I don't want to risk a TO, but Techno550's real intention was to call out JT and Andreas about VANOS functionality. He decided to wimp out and be vague.

My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    the posts Jon is referring to are:

Quote Originally Posted by Bmwandreas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by got psi View Post
    Actually where the power is used vanos will have no effect. Less parts less headache. ///J.T.///
    Absolutly right!!
    The problem here is that there is no such ineffective range. Vanos is a tool to alter the LSA. being able to vary cam timing is a very valuable tool any time the used RPM range is a consideration. Even if the "power band" is only 2k - 3k rpm wide, you could still use VANOS effectively and have a great benefit from it.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    1992 Turbo Integra, 1995 Turbo 525i
    If my turbo reaches full boost at 5-5.5k and I redline at 7.5k, can vanos help me increase power in boost? reall question.

My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichbinsobose View Post
    If my turbo reaches full boost at 5-5.5k and I redline at 7.5k, can vanos help me increase power in boost? reall question.
    Vanos can help get the turbo online faster, make more torque in the midrange, and make more top end power.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    328i turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by techno550 View Post
    Vanos can help get the turbo online faster, make more torque in the midrange, and make more top end power.
    This is true as I have tested this on the dyno.

What I want to test next is how long I should leave the vanos on,I had mine cut out at 5000rpm's.Next time on dyno I will figure this out by having vanos off at higher rpms and crossing graphs to see where torque falls.
    996WHP 2.8 and going nowhere fast
    . e36 4Dr with A/C and leather seats in U.S.
    www.bmwturbo328.com 9.93@152.6

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    DVANOS helps your turbo spool sooner. All else is rhetoric.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    Interesting twist on it - never thought about that Kenny

My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    Power on boost is also effected greatly.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    328i turbo
    If I can get my scanner working I can post the dynos.The only explanation I have is vanos increasing torque mid range made more air flow that in turn spooled turbo sooner.All this was done with a leaking intercooler so results could be diffrent now we will see soon

My Cars
    E-30 M3 Turbo
    Yes it makes the turbo spool faster.
    But who needs that for dragracing?

Euro S50 spools very large turbos quickly!

PT76GTS/GT4202 at around 4000 rpm full boost without vanos with correct adjust cams.
    9.42@155mph

My Cars
    E36's + 300D

PT76GTS/GT4202 at around 4000 rpm full boost without vanos with correct adjust cams.
    Spooling faster is spooling faster. would full boost sooner not be better?

Even when drag racing, you use a band that is probably 3k wide, and you could either use the vanos to spool the turbo before that, or use it to make two narrow peaks in that 3k rpm range. with dual vanos, you could do all of the above.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    328i turbo
    My vanos does not even work on the track leave line 5200rpm's shift at 8000rpm's next gear catches at 5600-5800.Now on the street it comes into play alot.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by card counter View Post
    My vanos does not even work on the track leave line 5200rpm's shift at 8000rpm's next gear catches at 5600-5800.Now on the street it comes into play alot.
    Leave the line at 5200 RPM?
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    E-30 M3 Turbo
    I left the line at 7500 rpm on my 9.42 run.
    9.42@155mph

My Cars
    328is, civic
    WOW, i feel like im at home in this thread. Everyone kept riding my nuts about vanos this and vanos that. But the bottem line is i dont care about low end tq. the only thing that matters to me is 5500ish to redline when im drag racing. I have antilag that i can use to spool my turbo if needed. Id be extremely interested if there was a way i could adjust/lock my cam into place to ONLY gain top end.
    Last edited by jfdmas; 02-25-2008 at 08:12 AM.
    1005whp/831wtq little bit of low boost pump gas magic...

My Cars
    95 M3
    license suspended
    Last edited by M3sRsick; 02-25-2008 at 09:05 AM.
    1995 E36 M3 (Sold)
    FS: BRAND NEW SHOEI HELMET http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1275204

My Cars
    cayenne,b6 s4,350ti,

Quote Originally Posted by card counter View Post
    thank you guys ,its wat ive been tring to tell this guy for days now,LOCKED cams in a race car is the way to go!!!!!!

My Cars
    97 M3/4 - Hurtig/AA TS
    Quote Originally Posted by M3sRsick View Post
    license suspended
    That is frickin lame.

Just because people don't agree with Mike, and just because Mike is often lacking a bit in "tact" in his approach, he is typically making valid points for people to consider, if they wish to take the time to understand the points he is trying to make.

Some argue with him just to argue, which then brings on all of the drama, without any substance to the argument in most cases.

And once again this forum will be faced with the reality that the majority of people around here that actually KNOW something, and/or have real experience doing things themselves, will be gone, or afraid to post...

A sad state of affairs if you ask me.

And in case any of you are paying attention, Yes, I have made comments both past and present to back up some of the poeple on both sides of these arguments.

My viewpoint is that of an impartial observer, that has been around here for WAY too long...

Have you been Screwed?

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    That is frickin lame.

Just because people don't agree with Mike, and just because Mike is often lacking a bit in "tact" in his approach, he is typically making valid points for people to consider, if they wish to take the time to understand the points he is trying to make.

Some argue with him just to argue, which then brings on all of the drama, without any substance to the argument in most cases.

And once again this forum will be faced with the reality that the majority of people around here that actually KNOW something, and/or have real experience doing things themselves, will be gone, or afraid to post...

A sad state of affairs if you ask me.

And in case any of you are paying attention, Yes, I have made comments both past and present to back up some of the poeple on both sides of these arguments.

My viewpoint is that of an impartial observer, that has been around here for WAY too long...

Yes he knows what he is talking about and does make some very valid points and often is a big help in the FI section. BUT he is constantly shoving his information down peoples throats even after people have chosen their way around the project. It's great that he offers the help and advice but it only needs to be stated once, not 10 pages of the same sh*t regarding Dvanos.

He also seems to instigate anything Jon (5mall5nails) says just b/c of a grudge he has with Jon; he will often rant for 5 pages in a heated discussion which completely ruins the OP's thread. JMO
    1995 E36 M3 (Sold)
    FS: BRAND NEW SHOEI HELMET http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1275204

My Cars
    Two VW A2's and one E30 [new to me]
    I personally think a HIGH horsepower car can benefit from from a later spool. I the later the better for traction and drivetrain parts. Of course some wastegate tuning could make both pretty safe.

1990 A2 GTi 20V swap with a GT35R 350 + WHP on pump. 84 325e-M50 soon to be 50 trim

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    Why is his license suspended? Strange for a supporting vendor.
    Anyway, dvanos may spool the turbo faster, but so would a shot of nitrous or a postive displacement blower. Shouldn't we all be using these as well, Mike?
    If the builder/tuner does not want to or can not tune for the use of dvanos, then who cares. There are lots of tradeoffs made in a build, many of which sacrifice power for reliability or ease of use. I don't think there is anything sacred about dvanos.

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Quote Originally Posted by 325icintn View Post
    If the builder/tuner does not want to or can not tune for the use of dvanos, then who cares. There are lots of tradeoffs made in a build, many of which sacrifice power for reliability or ease of use. I don't think there is anything sacred about dvanos.
    If the builder/tuner doesn't want to run double vanos for whatever reason, then that's perfectly fine. But to state that running the cams locked in position will produce more area under the torque curve is completely false. I'm guessing that's what the problem really is. People love to state things as fact when they're not.

Case in point.....below is a dyno comparison of my turbo E46 330ci. The blue curve is with the cams in the stock positions, and the red curve is with them tweaked. It's clear as day that using the vanos and varying the camshaft angles are different RPMs gains power under the curve. I was able to pick up power throughout the entire RPM band by utilizing the VANOS functionality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick Glantzis
    2005 330i ZHP auto with Technique Tuning turbo kit (currently For Sale)

My Cars
    1992 Turbo Integra, 1995 Turbo 525i
    Can you say what rpms the vanos was used in that dyno? since the gains are across the entire board, its as though vanos came on at idle and turned off at redline.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast