Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alpina Baur e21

My Cars
    85 535i, E30 M3,03 4.6is
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Sorry, but that is incorrect. Before 1981 or 82 VINs were only 7 digits. Also, "WBA" implicates BMW as the manufacturer, NOT ALPINA. If WBA was stamped at a later date, it was due to the hassle of trying to get DMV's to work with the 7 digit VIN. Alpina's manufacturer ID is WAP, but it was not used on cars prior to 1983 or 84. Cars prior to that are legally considered modified BMW's, but later are not BMW's, but Alpina's. No e21's were included in the later group.
    That is correct. Again, Alpina DID NOT issue it's own VIN's until 1986.

My Cars
    bmw
    Last edited by carmel by the s; 12-07-2008 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    79 Alpina B7 Turbo, 80 323i Baur, 79 635csi
    Yes, my 79 B7 has IIRC "B7Turbo+7digvin" stamped on the block back where you'd shoot the timing light.

Carmel, and idea why Alpina put their own VINplate underhood on the earlier cars, even though it just repeated the bmw 7digvin?

My Cars
    E9,E3, E21 Alpina's
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike323i View Post
    Yes, my 79 B7 has IIRC "B7Turbo+7digvin" stamped on the block back where you'd shoot the timing light.

Carmel, and idea why Alpina put their own VINplate underhood on the earlier cars, even though it just repeated the bmw 7digvin?
    For record keeping, and because they didnt have their own Vins.

My Cars
    Baur e30, Baur 1602, Bav
    Great Info. I will check out the engine and vin numbers the end of this week. Im out of town working this week and wont be able to pick the car up untill the weekend.
    I know the Baur plate is on the drivers side shock tower.
    The Alipina plate on the dash. But I have not been able to look at the engine numbers yet. So thanks for that data. Ill be sure to check out the engine.
    I know the car is coming with a spare short block, but its a reg 323 block.

From what I have read the Appina has high compression pistons, plus a reworked head? Dues that also include different Cams?
    Since I plan to rebuild the engine before putting it all back together I was debating weather to rebuild it stock or upgrade a few things like a cam and Alium flywheel. ( things that would not be seen or take away from its original looks).

B

My Cars
    E9,E3, E21 Alpina's
    Quote Originally Posted by bam2002 View Post
    Great Info. I will check out the engine and vin numbers the end of this week. Im out of town working this week and wont be able to pick the car up untill the weekend.
    I know the Baur plate is on the drivers side shock tower.
    The Alipina plate on the dash. But I have not been able to look at the engine numbers yet. So thanks for that data. Ill be sure to check out the engine.
    I know the car is coming with a spare short block, but its a reg 323 block.

From what I have read the Appina has high compression pistons, plus a reworked head? Dues that also include different Cams?
    Since I plan to rebuild the engine before putting it all back together I was debating weather to rebuild it stock or upgrade a few things like a cam and Alium flywheel. ( things that would not be seen or take away from its original looks).

B

I think this car was on ebay a while back. Is it in Florida? If so the owner was selling the car as a Bauer with Alpina parts on it. He wanted like 5 or6 grand for it? Not sure what the color was, maybe garnett red or something? Is this the same car?
    No new pistons on the C1's just head work, spoilers, exhaust, interior, wheels steering wheel, shift knob, suspension, exhaust, and some other components, like the long range fuel tank, and diff, could be added as an option.

My Cars
    Baur e30, Baur 1602, Bav
    Nope this car is white, but parts of the engine compartment are silver? Im guessing it was a silver car. Ill know when I get the car and remove the interior. Since the rear floors will need to be replaced.
    Black top- the canvas is in bad shape. Inteior blue. Rims white to match the body.

I also still need a new or Non cracked Dash.. any one selling them?

I got the car though a friend in the BMW CCA that is a broker out of Canada.

My Cars
    85 535i, E30 M3,03 4.6is
    Quote Originally Posted by carmel by the s View Post
    This is Incorrect !

Alpina began to do this in Late of 1983. E30's were giving Alpina Vin's
    1983 was also when Alpina was offically registered as automobile manufacturer at the German Federal Motor Vehicle Registration Agency.
    And this is when Alpina started to have their own VIN #'s
    E30 Example
    Like- WAPB628014B620*** and the last 3 were the production # of that car.

E28 B7T Turbo 1984 Example
    WAPB7TL014B710***

E-12 B7 TURBO 1980
    WBA3971000 *******

Last 7 Numbers was a easy way for Alpina to I.D a car and Also put the last 7 on the engine. Also located near the Trani Mount.

Any Pre 1983 Alpina can be looked up by the E- Code and the last 7
    No E28 carried an Alpina specific Vin until 1985. Mine was B9#436 of 500, 1984, imported directly into the states, has all of it's import and build docs and it carries a BMW 528 Vin. Now go shake your finger somewhere else unless you want to provide a real vin number to support what you claim. I know all of the E28 Alpina cars in the US and I don't think you own one of them. If you have Alpina questions, I would suggest that you go the M5board.com and go to the Alpina discussion group.
    Last edited by m2002; 02-25-2008 at 06:37 PM.

My Cars
    bmw
    Last edited by carmel by the s; 12-07-2008 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    85 535i, E30 M3,03 4.6is
    Quote Originally Posted by carmel by the s View Post
    M2002- I am sorry,let me correct myself here. yes i did enter the correct year I forgot to put the exact production date and that would be Nov 2, 1984. And yes that is a correct vin # and the car sold in 1984.

I am very happy for you that you know all of the E28 Alpina's in the usa.
    There are more than you think and that you do not know of.

The main argument here was when Alpina put their VIN plates on with their own Vin #'s on it. Answer is 1983.
    Alpina did not issue their own mfg. specific VINs until 85 production cars. E28 cars prior to that carried BMW specific vins for the 528i's that Alpina modified to produce the E28 variants. If you actually know of more E28 Alpinas in the US, please share the production numbers, etc. with us and with mye28.com. We would love to know more.

My Cars
    Baur e30, Baur 1602, Bav
    Ok I have some more data.. from photos.. the Alpina plate shows 3-143

The Baur plate shows A000296-01

From the info I have so far the car was an Alpina 1st.. then taken to the Baur factory , almost a year later and converted?

So does any one know how to get the Alpina seat cloth- material. THe seats seem to be pretty faded from the sun.. Guessing that is normal for a convertible.

B
    Last edited by bam2002; 02-27-2008 at 11:20 AM.

My Cars
    E9,E3, E21 Alpina's
    You cant get the cloth anymore, but the seats pop up from time to time on ebay. Most of the times in Europe, so you'll spend a small fortune shipping them here. They all seem to fade and turn a purple color. Would be nice if you could get more documentation on the car, find out which dealer made it and see if you can contact them about how the car was outfitted. Post some pictures so we can see it.

My Cars
    1993 320i. MissMyE21
    might turn out dodge, but you could fabric paint them
    SSSSSSSSSSStreak------

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Well you have baur #296 so it's even a low numbered baur at that....mine is 3023...

Good find, rare car made even rarer with the baur convertion.

I checked here http://www.bmwbaurtc.nl/ and it wasn't listed, so you'll have to get a hold of Jerone ,I think it is, and have it added, he has mine at 3032 instead 3023....I didn't even put it in there it just magically appeared with pictures even.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    Baur e30, Baur 1602, Bav
    Ok so what color are non faded seats are suppose to be? they are faded to a purple-grey. So If any one can show me a photo of non faded seats and door panels.
    I found a place that will reproduce any material- pattern. But Im guessing ill end up with a whole roll of it. So I may have an whole spool- roll of material. Guess I can sell some of the spare material afterward.

I will take photos tomorrow. Its to dark now and the car is covered in a inch of dust.
    It has a speedo that goes to 140.. vs the american ones go to 100?
    The tach is Green and red. RE power band and redline.
    There are 2 front spoilers, but I dont think either is the right one. I think they are zender? So I will have to look for a replacement.
    It has the the correct rear spoiler. Steering wheel is correct but the leather will need to be replaced. Shift knob is OK shape. Rear Diff is right RE LSD and finned cover.
    Duel Ehaust and I the right rims.
    I need to figure out where the engine number is on the block. I didnt see any thing by the front of the engine.
    On the back side of the engine, the head is very close to the firewall I cant see any numbers there. I can feel a flat spot by the transmission but I need to see if there is a number on it.
    So on a 82 vehicle the last 7 didgets on the engine will match the Vin right?

More tomorrow

My Cars
    Baur e30, Baur 1602, Bav
    http://www.keeperofcars.com/alpina/index.html

Photos are old and new. there is no engine in the car now. Its all apart.
    The engine shots are from prev owner. The last 7 numbers on the engine are 45708nd or "NO" I cant tell.

As you can see the spoiler is not alpina. I am not sure about the rear diff. Its finned but not oversized.
    I thikn the dash, etc are all correct.

My Cars
    E9,E3, E21 Alpina's
    Looks like a bauer with Alpina seats and a shift knob and wheel. The speedometer would be an Alpina setup if it was from Alpina. Stock diff too not Alpina.

My Cars
    Baur e30, Baur 1602, Bav
    I know I can submit the numbers to Alpina. So Ill do that.
    Also after the engine is rebuilt ill have it check. RE cam size etc.. that will tell me if its putting out what the Alpina engines are suppose to OR if its a reg 323.

I also found a place that can stich the seat colors and logs. So I just may have the reats recovered, using the original base color and having the other colors added. Since its not all original anyway.

Im finishing up a 2002 Rally car. So I should be able to get to the Baur C1.. in a month or two..

Thanks everyone for the data on the vins etc..

Barry

My Cars
    325iX Baur & more
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    Well you have baur #296 so it's even a low numbered baur at that....mine is 3023...

Good find, rare car made even rarer with the baur convertion.

I checked here http://www.bmwbaurtc.nl/ and it wasn't listed, so you'll have to get a hold of Jerone ,I think it is, and have it added, he has mine at 3032 instead 3023....I didn't even put it in there it just magically appeared with pictures even.
    Haha, sometimes I'm just a bit brutal and take the pictures I hope you don't mind.

As I see here, BAM2002 didn't tell what it is actually. 70296 was a 318.

And no: there aren't any Alpina Baur TC (at least, not from Buchloe). The C1 2.3 was a tuningkit, so could also be build in by Sytner/Du Bac/Oldenhof (that's the Dutch Alpina). Du Bac made at least 3 E21 Baur TC's as Alpina(-look). Also one E30 Baur TC, but in a French article about that car they tell that the thing done are only the outside.

If you are now thinking the other way round (Alpina converted to Baur TC): nope. Baur had everything recorded and there are no Alpina's. And 98% of the Baur's where brought directly from the BMW-factory.

Gr Jeroen

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    THe pictures are fine, I posted them up on the internet after all

I wish I knew more about my baur other than it came to Alaska in 1986 from Florida.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    325iX Baur & more
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    I wish I knew more about my baur other than it came to Alaska in 1986 from Florida.
    Send me an email at JMJanssen1985@hotmail.com

Gr Jeroen

My Cars
    Baur e30, Baur 1602, Bav
    Thanks Jeroen.. for the info..
    Well I guess who knows the history of this car.. I will jsut get it restored and take it to car shows with the Alpina gear. Like I said I dont plan to sell it so its not like I am trying to pass it off to make a buck.

Im guessing Ill get it to the body shop in June. I need to pull out the gas tank so the floor sheet metal can be replaced.

Barry

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Walloth & Nesch still has NOS Alpina front spoilers, as well as a bunch of other Alpina stuff if you are willing to pay for it.
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12