Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dinan 'vs' Randy Forbes

My Cars
    99 MC

Red face Dinan 'vs' Randy Forbes

I've done a search and found nothing specific and I know there are a lot of post to read in the "definitive" thread.

So whats the skinny. Who's is better? Which should be utilized? (Randy is one of us after all).

Both about the same price and about the same labour.

My Cars
    2015 435i ZHP

My Cars
    Street Missile/Track Weapon
    I remember from a while ago a member actually had someone from Dinan recommend Randy's kit over theirs.

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    I believe Randy will provide better customer service than Dinan will
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    N/A
    You just got the coupe and the subframe is already giving you trouble?

Go with Randy.

There is some information about the Dinan fix near the bottom of this thread:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=927780

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    I've seen a few of the Dinan kits in person, and honestly they don't nearly look as nice as Randy's stuff.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Go with the RF kit.... %100.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe
    Even if Dinan's kit was as high quality as Randy's, which it isn't, there'd still be no question: Randy all the way. Here's why:

1) Customer service. While he has your car, there's nothing else he's working on. It's your car, period, until it's done. Period. No shop distractions, no pressure to get it done quickly to ensure high turnover or maintain the schedule, no handing the project over to someone who may not be an expert on these models. Randy bends over backwards to make sure he has not cut any corners whatsoever.

2) I can vouch for him, cause I've known him for years, now, been around several of his projects, and seen up close what he does. 1st class.

3) I live across town, so if you have any issues, I can go "talk" to him...

None of this is meant to disparage Dinan in any way. They're an excellent shop. It's just that Randy's so much better.

Unsolicited testimonial.
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Removed: spare/jack/tool kit/fog lights/A/C/knee bolsters/center cargo bulkhead/subwoofer housing/rear wiper/trunk floor
    Forbes diff mount/trunk floor reinforcement
    Forbes custom bolt-in rollbar
    Whalen Shift Machine and billet hood release handle
    TCK S/A coilovers
    16" x 9" BBS E26 3-piece magnesium racing rims
    Unorthodox crank & alternator pulleys
    3.0 300mm discs with PF pads and braided stainless lines
    Shift light & MZ3 shifter
    Momo steering wheel
    lightweight motorcycle battery
    Corbeau seats
    IE subframe bushings
    Straight pipe w/resonator tips
    Current weight, 04-26-09: 2,680 lbs, 55.7%/44.3% CAT certified

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    Randy all the way. My brother got is 01' done there, I've seen it and the workmanship is perfect. Randy even found a mouse nest behind his seats and re-wired his defrost switch for him. You know Dinan wouldn't be bothered with that!
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Its all in the design, Dinan's kit does nothing for lateral forces (what causes the diff mounts to tear. not to mention the twisting force of the differental pulling down on that same location.

Dinan is an expensive band-aid that i suspect does as much as adding the IE busings. . .that is all.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    With Randy you get $1 worth for every dollar spent. With Dinan you get $1 worth for every $5 spent. Gotta pay up to have that Dinan logo on your car. Kind of like how certain vendors charge you extra to not have their logo on brakes you put on your car.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    With Randy you get $1 worth for every dollar spent.
    A+
    In my opinon much more, besides he loves doing the work and it shows.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    I'll echo the sentiments previously made and go further with this -- BMW still and Dinan for many years have suggested there is nothing wrong with the rear subframe which needs addressing. It was only after the problem could no longer be ignored and frankly based on the obvious following of Randy's repair fix that Dinan attempted to make a second rate copy. Moreover, with every Dinan product, they expect a Dinan service provider to install it at substantially higher labor costs than Randy by service techs who are just putting in their 8 hours of work.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    99 Mcp, 94 NSX, 87 e30
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudbase View Post
    Randy all the way. My brother got is 01' done there, I've seen it and the workmanship is perfect. Randy even found a mouse nest behind his seats and re-wired his defrost switch for him. You know Dinan wouldn't be bothered with that!
    GO WITH RANDY'S I am the little brother that had it done lol. He even takes pictures while your away from your car to post updates and show you what he is doing, even explains everything. He is very helpfull in every question. Just go with Randy and never worry about it again! I got mine done with only 6K on it

My Cars
    2020 M2C
    There are other products that might work, but we know that Randy's unit DOES work. I can't speak for installation by independent shops, but I had my 02 Coupe done in Toledo by Randy and it was a great experience. Local (Atlanta) dealer and independent have commented on the high quality of the finished product. I had it delivered to him right after purchase, and he found a couple of items needing repair that had been missed by the independent in CA that inspected it before the purchase. I will continue to recommend him without hesitation.
    Bill
    2002 M Coupe. Steel Gray/Black.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Dinan is about 2 hours away from me. Randy is 1/2 a country away.

I went with Randy's kit. It is a well thought out repair that has the side benefit of allowing you to run a dual ear differential cover.

There was nothing wrong with my subframe or trunk floor when I decided to have the kit installed. Since my car is going to see quite a few track days, I decided the kit was a sound investment into preventing an inevitable problem. Both of the installers I had quote the job said it would be a lot more expensive once the floor started to separate or ear started to crack.

I was fortunate to find a shop within an hour or so that had done several of Randy's kits. They got it done in a relatively short time frame and for a lower cost than I expected.

Personally, even if the Dinan kit provided the exact same reinforcement and support for the same price, I would have still chose Randy's kit. He goes out of his way to help his fellow BMW owners and deserves our support in return.

My $.02

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Although I didn't have Randy fix my 1998 M Roadster, (it had a few spot welds popped), with no other damage, I would highly recommend him. He took a lot of time to talk to me about the problem, and my car. He is a fine man, obviously dedicated to doing what he does right. I had a "lesser fix" performed by someone locally and I am not as confident that it compares to Randy's fix but it was better than no fix at all. Money is an issue right now but I still may have Randy do it his way in the future. My car is seldom driven and when it is, it is not driven hard at all so hopefully it will hold together. If not, and funding is available, Randy is without a doubt the one who I will ask to please fix it.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    *blush*

Wow, thank you all!

I've got a few jobs lined up for March/April, but there's still plenty of room on the list.

My Cars
    99 MC
    Quote Originally Posted by organic///M View Post
    You just got the coupe and the subframe is already giving you trouble?

Go with Randy.

There is some information about the Dinan fix near the bottom of this thread:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=927780
    Sorry got busy at work last night after posting this thread.

The frame is not an issue yet, I just happened to be tooling around and saw some other options. It is refreshing to hear many high praise comments for a fellow member, who obviously cares about what he does, whilst no one really disparraged Dinan.

When the time comes I now have alot more info to go with, so lets hope I will never need it.

Thanks to everyone who chimmed in and offered their opinion, it's good to know what the community at large thinks.

My Cars
    E36/7, X4 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmichaels View Post
    A+
    In my opinon much more, besides he loves doing the work and it shows.
    ++++1
    He did a great job on mine, and I even trusted him to open up the S54 and operate on the bearings.

My Cars
    1998 z3 M roadster
    Only Randy was worthy of putting his hands on my baby.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    You can't compare what Randy does to what anyone else is doing to fix this problem. It looks like the car came from the factory with his fix. He performed his magic on my car in November of 2004, and it remains the best thing done to my car. I abuse the car at every opportunity, and Randy's work remains like new.

There are very few people I can name that I'll let cut into my car. 4, to be exact (that includes myself). Randy is at the top of my list and 2nd place is distant.

I'm biased; Randy's become a good friend. But we met out of our love for driving the heck of of two-seater sportscars. Randy's been a good friend to this community, he shares information willingly, and who else is going to photo-document the work on your car as it progresses so you can watch it from afar from your armchair with the laptop? No one. The excellent service starts before you even have your car in his garage. The cost difference is piddly when you compare what you get; the best fix, and a friend to boot! No one else has done as many cars, his record speaks for itself (there isn't a single dissatisfied customer).

And of course you don't have to believe me... ask any of his customers, and look through the pictures on our web site.
    Daniel
    2002 M roadster
    persistently obsolete mod list

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    Just one more of Randy's supporters chiming in
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

My Cars
    99 MC
    I feel bad for even asking to question

The one response that really helped (other than all the glowing reports of the quality of Randy's work) explained the difference between the lateral loads being addressed in Randys over the Dinan in addition to the double ear diff.

Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    96 z3, 05 645cic, 07 FX-35
    No one can possibly be that good.
    With no data whatsoever, I vote for Dinan, just so it's not unanimous. :-0

Randy, I hope not to ever need your services.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast