Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: M3 vs. STI

My Cars
    -

M3 vs. STI

STI: stock

Me: 4.11 differential, shark software(TMS), AA cold air, 12lb UUC flywheel, M5 clutch, custom exhaust, dinan throttle body, eichbach etc

Driving to work today and i'm waiting at a light on a large, empty, industrial street and a black STI pulls up next to me. (you bet your sweet ass my ASC was off) He looks over at me and i can tell he wants to go, i'm not sure how i will do against him, but i figured it was worth the fun. I hold it at about 3k and when the light turns green we go. Initially i take him from the dig and put about 1.5 cars, seeing as how i have a 4.11 diff and i am naturally aspirated. once i'm in second he comes back up and is neck and neck with me. By the time im at the end of third my front bumper is at his rear. I hit 5k in 4th gear we are dead even again, this is also where we shut down due to a red light up ahead.

5k in fourth gear for me is about.. 100 mph. I wouldn't have been able to continue for much longer because my top speed is 120 with the diff.
    I was pretty satisfied with the outcome. Now for my SSK and M50 manifold. maybe i'll have a chance.
    Last edited by Nik1703; 02-23-2008 at 01:21 AM.

My Cars
    '95 M3
    nice run. yea, the m50 manifold will help you enormously at the top end with your mods.

My Cars
    4runner, E30, CBR1100xx
    I have trouble believing the STI launched worth a crap. People have gotten 1.6 60 foot times from them stock with even Transgender lady boys cutting a 1.8.

I do not doubt the race as you described. I doubt the abilities of your opponent.

My Cars
    -
    It might have been a shitty launch on his part, you are right. Although i'm not going to lie, i've got a pretty mean launch and a new clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by thedaddy View Post
    I have trouble believing the STI launched worth a crap. People have gotten 1.6 60 foot times from them stock with even Transgender lady boys cutting a 1.8.

I do not doubt the race as you described. I doubt the abilities of your opponent.

My Cars
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM3 View Post
    nice run. yea, the m50 manifold will help you enormously at the top end with your mods.
    did you feel a noticeable difference? I'm thinking of doing it next month.

Nice wheels by the way, i like the black on black.

My Cars
    '09 135i
    nice run man, I always wanted to run an sti myself.
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    a couple e30s and e36s
    good times. yeah I've never seen an sti bust 100 before, they always give up right at 100 or just under, which leads me to believe they either feel horribly unstable, which I can imagine they might with the huge scoop, or have no top end, which I could also believe given the nature of the beast. they are meant to be quick. Around all of the college vacations I usually see a dozen or more different sti's around north dallas/plano and none of them are stock. they are either full cobb bolt on builds, or have enough into them to get a second one from the guy's I've talked with. And most of them run dead even with the 1991 3000gt vr-4 stock I play with them in. But I know if they would go over 100 with me they'd be behind me a bit. Never have any evo's to run, but the sti's run rampant in plano.

My Cars
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by mulholland View Post
    good times. yeah I've never seen an sti bust 100 before, they always give up right at 100 or just under, which leads me to believe they either feel horribly unstable, which I can imagine they might with the huge scoop, or have no top end, which I could also believe given the nature of the beast. they are meant to be quick. Around all of the college vacations I usually see a dozen or more different sti's around north dallas/plano and none of them are stock. they are either full cobb bolt on builds, or have enough into them to get a second one from the guy's I've talked with. And most of them run dead even with the 1991 3000gt vr-4 stock I play with them in. But I know if they would go over 100 with me they'd be behind me a bit. Never have any evo's to run, but the sti's run rampant in plano.

evos and STi's are roughly the same. Top end (100+) they drop off, unfortunately for them.

My Cars
    E92 N54
    Hey Nik hows the car feel with that 4.11 rear?

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik1703 View Post
    It might have been a shitty launch on his part, you are right. Although i'm not going to lie, i've got a pretty mean launch and a new clutch.
    An STI is capable of launching harder than just about any RWD car without drag radials. Low gearing or not, driving only two wheels your car just cannot put power down in first like a good, low-geared AWD setup.

It sounds to me like he didn't know you were racing initially (he didn't launch,) then raced long enough to pass you (just before 100 he had a car length on you,) then let off. I've been on both sides of this plenty of times.

My Cars
    2011 5.0 Track Pack
    I doubt he was thinking about racing, because he would have had you on the launch no questions asked.

It sounds like you pulled a quick one on someone minding they're own business and posted it as a kill, nice. Maybe he was just looking at your car, just to look not to provoke a street race. I doubt your car would be ahead of an stock sti at any point in that race if it had been a real race, let alone a modded one - which most are not stock, I have yet to find a stock STi, anywhere.

Evo's and STi's dont drop off at 100+ you are very biased my friend.

Ever had your car on a dyno?

My Cars
    Z06
    4.11?!?!?!?!!?! Tell me you have a 6spd at least.

With a 5spd, you'd be turning 6 grand at 80mph, maybe more!

Unless, of course, you do very little (if any) freeway driving.

4.11 + 5spd is not driveable on a regularly-driven freeway.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxin View Post
    I doubt he was thinking about racing, because he would have had you on the launch no questions asked.

It sounds like you pulled a quick one on someone minding they're own business and posted it as a kill, nice. Maybe he was just looking at your car, just to look not to provoke a street race. I doubt your car would be ahead of an stock sti at any point in that race if it had been a real race, let alone a modded one - which most are not stock, I have yet to find a stock STi, anywhere.

Reasonably well-sorted for a first post, especially one that is just a rebuttal, but beware of the haters.

Although STI's pull pretty well past 100, keep in mind that, compared to many cars here like 540s and even M3s, they do fall off at high speeds. For example, an STI is e46 M3 territory down low, but above 100 it's really closer to an e36 M3. That said, I agree that this race would have been all STI had there been two good drivers who were both racing.

My Cars
    2011 5.0 Track Pack
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
    Reasonably well-sorted for a first post, especially one that is just a rebuttal, but beware of the haters.

Although STI's pull pretty well past 100, keep in mind that, compared to many cars here like 540s and even M3s, they do fall off at high speeds. For example, an STI is e46 M3 territory down low, but above 100 it's really closer to an e36 M3. That said, I agree that this race would have been all STI had there been two good drivers who were both racing.
    You are correct. I was aiming my post more towards the OP's e36, but what you say is true. They dont really drop off like a civic or something, they just lack some top end, stock. It's understandable if you look at it, though. I was actually looking into buying an e36 M3 before I bought my car, and I drove both, I loved both, but it all comes down to opinion and the e36 wasnt for me. Now the e46 on the other hand, thats one of my favorite cars

I am not a biased person, but an STi will beat an e36 without F/I on the bmw
    Last edited by rexxin; 02-13-2008 at 11:15 AM.

My Cars
    98 Estoril M3/2, 94 325i
    Yea seriously, 4.11?? Haha, that's gotta be slightly...crazy
    VP Anyone have a Girlfax?

My Cars
    97 SC 332, 01 X5 4.4
    Nice run. I definitely don't think the STI driver launched at all. He probably took off at a low rpm. STI's are known for their sick launch... the do 0 - 30 mph in 2 secs.

I've never had the opportunity to run with one, but I did get owned by a modded WRX in PA when I used to have the M52 motor.

Engine: M3 (S52) motor | AA C38 stg 1 Supercharger | MLS HG + ARP studs | M50 manifold | UUC motor and tranny mounts
    Drivetrain: 3.38 LSD | UUC stg 2 clutch | UUC 8.5 lb flywheel | SS Clutch line | Z3 steering rack | M3 brakes | SS brake lines
    Suspension: X-Brace | Bilstein BTS | PowerFlex RTABS | Exhaust: AA track pipe | AA Gen III Exhaust
    Misc: Euro G4 Ellipsoids-Ultra HD 60+ LED eyes | Euro 3-Spoke steering wheel | tan Vaders |CD43 player

My Cars
    01 Z28
    Good kill...with the hurt you put on him from the launch it's easy to see why he lost.
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 (LS6 cam, BBK LTs, MTI LID/FRA)

My Cars
    Z06

I am not a biased person, but an STi will beat an e36 without F/I on the bmw
    Yes, you are.

A stock STi v stock E36 M3 is a driver's race if you knew any better. Especially after 90mph.

My Cars
    4runner, E30, CBR1100xx
    Quote Originally Posted by V. Coronet View Post
    Yes, you are.

A stock STi v stock E36 M3 is a driver's race if you knew any better. Especially after 90mph.
    How do you figure a 60 horse power difference is a drivers race?

The STI does not drop off over 100 any more or less than any other car with 300 horsepower and the aerodynamics of a dump truck.

Horse power is horsepower. If the STI loses anything it is because it is as slippery as sand paper.

A stock STI will crush and E36 M3 people. They have run sub 13 second ETs with skilled drivers. Hell several people have run in the 11s with the stock turbo and a great tune.

My Cars
    Z06
    Quote Originally Posted by thedaddy View Post
    How do you figure a 60 horse power difference is a drivers race?
    From this line I can tell you've never driven/owned both cars extensively to know - I have. Sure, from a hole the STi is going to be considerably faster and it is. I used to rip some nasty 60 ft times.

However, put me in a stock E36 M3 against a stock STi and it will come down to the driver, ESPECIALLY from a roll.

Don't look so much into the numbers (the STi is geared for the holeshot- on an otherwise stock car, they will not beat an E36 M3) as real world experience talks.

My Cars
    Yes
    From this line I can tell you've never driven/owned both cars extensively to know - I have. Sure, from a hole the STi is going to be considerably faster and it is. I used to rip some nasty 60 ft times.

However, put me in a stock E36 M3 against a stock STi and it will come down to the driver, ESPECIALLY from a roll.

Don't look so much into the numbers (the STi is geared for the holeshot- on an otherwise stock car, they will not beat an E36 M3) as real world experience talks.
    From a roll, yes, it might be close, but the STI is still faster at legal speeds. Regardless, this thread is about a race from a dig, where the STI owns an M3 by a huge margin. You said it's a driver's race after 90, but this particular race ended at 100, so that's moot.

My Cars
    -
    its entirely possible if the driver cant launch. I've got fresh rear tires and a new clutch, my launch is pretty strong.
    I see stock STI's all the time. why would you need to mod it, they're fast as shit without mods.

My Cars
    -
    about this dig stuff, has anybody here ever had a 4.11 diff in their E36?

i dont think you guys get just how insane a 4.11 diff is. it is the poor mans supercharger. It is night and day between a stock E36 diff and a 4.11. It changes everything.

it's not just "some" lower gears, it's about as low as you can go and still drive your car.

My Cars
    96 cosmos m3
    Wow 4.11 , and I thought 3.91 was insane , did you work up to that gear or just go straight to that gearing ? Anyways, nice run .I bet the sti driver was shocked

No more M3, driving a Camry TuRD

My Cars
    4runner, E30, CBR1100xx

I owned an E46 M3 and currently an STI. I have driven an E36 M3. The only advantage they may have is aero.

Racing from a roll is not a drivers race. Anyone can stomp a gas pedal. It comes down to who stomps first maybe. Rolling racing is no more racing than dyno racing.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast