Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dr. Colorchip review and mini writeup.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is

My Dr. Colorchip review and mini writeup.

I finally got around to testing this Dr. Colorchip stuff today, pictures are enclosed for your viewing pleasure. Overall, it wasn't quite what I had hoped it would be, but my car does, without a doubt, look better than it did before. Overall, I rate it / .

The process was rather tedious, and there were some chips that I went over 5+ times without noticeable improvement. It wasn't as easy to use as they make it sound. The process includes two parts: paint, and "prefast." You're supposed to smear the paint over the rock chip, let it dry, then wipe off the excess with the "prefast" solution. Well, the paint in the chip likes to rub off too, especially if there's any rust in the chip. I think it would work much, much better on a dark colored car, or a car with metallic paint. This old, thick white paint just isn't suited for rock chip repair.

Here are the photos so you can see for yourself.

Before:

During (excuse the dirt under the window trim):

After:

After about an hour and a half of going over, and over, and over the chips, they're still visible, but far less noticeable. It's definitely not a substitute for a repaint, but it's cheap and works better than regular touch-up paint.

If you've been thinking about trying it, I would recommend giving it a shot and posting your results. I'd love to see how it turns out on a darker colored car.

Happy face:

Stay tuned for photos with Euro grills.

My Cars
    1987 528e
    Looks clean, How much was the product?

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    http://drcolorchip.com/

I just bought the basic kit and it took care of a lot more than a dozen chips like the website said. Maybe I was doing it wrong though...I'm not really sure.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Thanks Kellie! It is on my list to try in the spring - good to know what to expect. I guess I'd rate it a little higher than your did (based on the pix anyway) vs. what touch-up paint looks like. Sounds a little tedious, but saving the money is probably worth it.

Thanks again!

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Are the pics working for you? They aren't loading on my computer for some reason...

My Cars
    2006 M6
    That rating system rules.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    I can see them, and they look pretty good!

My Cars
    1986 325is
    looks great! was the product colored or did it just match the paint?

My Cars
    BMW 325ic
    Hi all- we've received comments over the last year or two about posts on this forum and figured it was about time we joined (yes, we are slackers at this.) Thanks, Kellie, for the post on our product. I did want to make a note on the photo you posted with the paint applied to the car. The paint should really be smeared flat across the chip and not left in a wet blob as it appears in your photo. By smearing it flat, the paint can dry very quickly and bond to the vehicle's surface. This will also allow you to remove the excess paint without worry that the paint in the chip will come out.

We already know we need to clarify some of the instructions that come with the paint. They also are a bit misleading with regard to the notion the paint must be removed within a minute or so (it can actually remain for a few hours if necessary, though generally 5 to 10 minutes is all that's really needed.) Also, regarding the rust in the chips, our FAQ page has a section with tips on how to first address this problem, including photos of a couple products we've used successfully to remove the rust.

Just wanted to point this out so others will better understand how the paint should be applied. There are photos on the website that demonstrate how the paint should look when applied as well. We WILL be revising our instruction sheet the next printing to help clairfy these issues (maybe less text, more bullet points.) It's good to have outside input like this to help us understand where we can make improvements, and the directions are definitely an area of focus. Thanks again for the positive post in this forum and for taking the time to get some photos of your experience.

Bill
    Dr. ColorChip Corp.

My Cars
    1987 Zinnoberot 325ic
    Bill,

I know you are new to the forum and maybe I am jumping the gun here. In my honest opinion, if you would like to get your product out to us enthusiasts, you should do a group buy or at least see if there would be any interest in a group buy. I would definately be interested in a group buy as I have some issues with chips that I have yet to deal with. Your system looks like a good setup and I would be curious to try it on my Delphin Metallic 325i. Just give the group buy a thought.

Preston

My Cars
    BMW 325ic
    Preston, do you mean a group buy for a local BMW club? Generally when we offer group buys the shipping is to one location for several kits. Or are you speaking more of a group discount to members of this forum?

My Cars
    too many bmws
    Quote Originally Posted by DrColorChip View Post
    Preston, do you mean a group buy for a local BMW club? Generally when we offer group buys the shipping is to one location for several kits. Or are you speaking more of a group discount to members of this forum?
    the latter.
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '00 F-350 Dually
    BMWCCA #360858 NASA # 128290

https://www.facebook.com/COTABBR

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC

Group buy!

||||
    Volume discount!

Six cars to practice on at home

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    Chariot
    Nice work OP.

A group buy sounds fantastic!

My Cars
    BMW 325ic

Dr. ColorChip coupon

Twist our arm- ok, we'll post a modest discount code here. Any Bimmerforum member placing an order from now through February 26 will receive 10 percent off the entire order. Use the code 'bimmer' on our order page. Thanks for the suggestion and forum to offer this.
    Last edited by DrColorChip; 02-26-2008 at 01:29 AM.

My Cars
    e30, X3, Z3... K1100rs
    Twist our arm- ok, we'll post a modest coupon here. Anyone placing an order from now through April 1 will receive 10 percent off the entire order. Use the code 'bimmer' on the order page in the coupon field. If we get a positive response, maybe we'll extend it. Thanks for the suggestion and forum to offer this.
    Linky???

Remember: Your life can be extinguished in ONE stupid moment. No one is invincible....

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    Twist our arm- ok, we'll post a modest coupon here. Anyone placing an order from now through April 1 will receive 10 percent off the entire order. Use the code 'bimmer' on the order page in the coupon field. If we get a positive response, maybe we'll extend it. Thanks for the suggestion and forum to offer this.
    Thank you! Don't forget to give Kellie something nice.

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by jmenacker View Post

Joe M in WV
    Haha, I like nice things!

Bill, I tried several methods including the "blob" method and the "smear" method. I found it worked best when I let the paint sit longer, and also when I rubbed the excess paint off gently which is pretty much what the instructions said. I will look into the rust removal information because I still have some paint left, and the rusty chips are the ugliest ones.

Would you say the product works better on dark colored cars? I think the white is harder to match because it yellows over time, so even if the paint is mixed correctly, it is always whiter than the paint on the car. Plus the rust or primer under the paint is dark and shows through. I want my dad to buy a kit for his black Mercedes, and possibly one for my sister's black Subaru as well.

My Cars
    too many bmws
    Quote Originally Posted by jmenacker View Post

Joe M in WV
    yeah kudos to kellie for the write-up..
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '00 F-350 Dually

My Cars
    88 325 is
    You might want to post this in the group buy section. You'll probably get more interest.

I think I might have to give this a try.

Thanks goes to the OP.

My Cars
    Chariot
    Thanks Bill. I will be placing my order soon

My Cars
    BMW 325ic
    Yes, Kellie, the whites can be a challenge now and then because of the potential for yellowing over time. A lot of people think white is so easy but it's one of the least fun colors to mix because just one drop of black, blue or ochre can change the hue- and most white formulations call for a wee bit of another color. However, we still rarely get any complaints on it. In fact, the only color we really receive any negative feedback on is silver, and not because it doesn't match, but because it's a little more tricky to cover a dark chip with silver, especially a larger one- the way the light hits it, the metallic flake aligning properly, blah, blah. However, we have discovered recently that if a white base paint is laid down on the chip first, the silver looks tremendously better. Small silver chips usually look pretty good anyway, but this can help on the larger ones. We're revamping the website soon and may offer the white paint as a cheap add-on for this. For now if you have silver, just ask about the white base and we'll throw it in.

And yes, black repairs generally come out looking great- easy color to do. Most metallic colors are pretty easy over all, but you can't beat the jet black for an impressive demo- especially if it has a bad case of road rash.

UKFan mentioned 'linky'...I figured I'd get in trouble here posting links, but it's at the beginning of this thread.

Group Buy section...hmm, will have to look that up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kellie- you can have one kit for free if order the two you mentioned since you posted this. Just add a comment that Bill said so if you place the order. I hope that satisfies Joe in WV.

Sorry for the lengthy response- just wanted to address everything. If I should be writing individuals back directly instead, feel free to let me know. Still learning the etiquette here.

My Cars
    too many bmws
    Sorry for the lengthy response- just wanted to address everything. If I should be writing individuals back directly instead, feel free to let me know. Still learning the etiquette here.
    your doing fine!
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '00 F-350 Dually

My Cars
    1987 Zinnoberot 325ic
    I will definately be ordering a kit soon Bill. Thanks for considering and implementing the discount. Every little bit helps, at least for me it does.

Preston

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is

Kellie- you can have one kit for free if order the two you mentioned since you posted this. Just add a comment that Bill said so if you place the order. I hope that satisfies Joe in WV.
    That definitely satisfies ME and I'm the only one that matters anyway. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. My father and sister will be some happy campers, and I'll have fun making their cars look pretty again. I will also post pictures, though it won't be until this summer because they live 1000 miles away.

You might consider becoming a supporting vendor on the site. It will give you the opportunity to advertise, and I think it would be pretty good for your business. I'll be sure to refer you to my Subaru buddies. With all the dirt they drive through, they get plenty of rock chips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast