Thread: HELPPPPP: My 325i DRIVING ME NUTTSSSS

My Cars
    9? 325i AC Schnitzer

HELPPPPP: My 325i DRIVING ME NUTTSSSS

Hi, Well I need serious help, may be admitted into the mental hospital.
    MY 325i is driving me nuts many sleepless nights and dinner table conversation revolves around my stupid car.

It started in Early nov 07, cleaned and recharged the aircon, replaced O rings, then dead battery after 2 weeks or so, bought new 1 the day I installed the battery the car went into limp mode WTF i though, removed the battery then reconnected it no more limp mode.
    MPG went to shit a week or so later, change plugs, fuel filter, air filter, bang limp mode again, reset the battery no more limp mode.

New battery died in DEC 07, warranty it for new 1, the alternator check OK.
    Still sometimes limp mode always remove the battery and reconnect no more limp mode.

Dec 07 did the brakes........ change tranny fluid......... still sometimes limp mode.

Jan 08 dead battery got new 1 again, no more limp mode car ran great for 1 month, Late Jan o8 dead battery again then limp mode again got new 1 then alternator not charging got new 1 also, since Feb1 08 car in PERMANENT LIMP MODE.

So far i check clean MAF, Check DME, Plugs, vacum leaks, alternator (charging at 14.38 with load) battery at 13.5v. Fues, relays,

Pulled Relay #2 and swap with Fog Light relay (same effect LIMP MODE)
    BUt here is the kick in the nuts, pulled the relay for O2 sensor and started the car guess what it runs the same no see saw idle.............

Check codes Monday ..................

I have NO CEL, Tranny light on dash (bulbs work but will not light)

Any 1 can lead me in the right direction to what to check till Monday's appointment to read codes............

Also the DME was repaired by BMW in Oct 1996...........

FYI: I noticed that my E36 is actually a 92 model? Production date June/01.

Will try to include pics of the DME, and engine any info would be helpful.......

What is the prope idle for this car people tell me 700rmp,900 air con on, what is true.....What can I do in the mean time to try to fix this major pain in my ass, what DME do I have, Should I check the TCM?????????????????

Thank you all in advance,

My Cars
    9? 325i AC Schnitzer
    HElp

My Cars
    1989 325i S52 swap
    wow jeez.. ok well first of all you have a 325i... it can't be a 98, they didn't make them then, they were 323's or 328's... as far as I know

check your battery ground bolt, your alternator, and IF you have changed out the ECU chip in the DME- make sure that is seated very firmly.... if none of those.... perhaps you have water damage to the DME?

'90 325i coupe 5 spd - Love
    '94 325i- 190k DD - S52 Head - S50 cams - Turner chip software (cam) - M52 headers M3 catback - SOLD
    '94 530i 182k - dead awaiting fuel pump TRADED
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3. Zoom Zoom for $25k, 260hp, 280 ft lbs tq @ 3,000 rpm FWD wagon. SOLD
    2008 Volkswagen R32- SOLD

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325i
    I had a similar problem with mine, had water damage on my DME, replaced it twice. got smart and wrapped the DME in a ziplock bag and sealed off any water intrusion.

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    Wait. Someone was trying to convince you that this car was a 1998?!?!
    You have the only E36 that came stock without vanos which means it a 1992.
    However you also have a secondary air pump. What are the last seven digits of your vin?
    PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it, and that will tell you everything you need to know.

My Cars
    9? 325i AC Schnitzer
    any1

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by downeaster1 View Post
    However you also have a secondary air pump.
    No, he doesn't.

Your alternator might not be functioning properly 100% of the time. Just stop replacing the battery and swap in another alternator to see if that is the problem.

My Cars
    9? 325i AC Schnitzer

swapped

Quote Originally Posted by Quailane View Post
    No, he doesn't.

Your alternator might not be functioning properly 100% of the time. Just stop replacing the battery and swap in another alternator to see if that is the problem.

yep done new alternator, still limp mode

My Cars
    2008 GTI, 2010 Mazda3
    Quote Originally Posted by downeaster1 View Post
    Wait. Someone was trying to convince you that this car was a 1998?!?!
    You have the only E36 that came stock without vanos which means it a 1992.
    However you also have a secondary air pump. What are the last seven digits of your vin?
    PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it, and that will tell you everything you need to know.
    Looks more like A/C lines to me?

My Cars
    e36 1994 bmw 325i
    What is your definition of "limp mode"? Please describe it. Is it hesitating? Fuel cut on high rpm? Erratic idles?

My Cars
    328is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleAwesome View Post
    Looks more like A/C lines to me?
    Yep, car is right hand drive!

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by m0isty View Post
    Yep, car is right hand drive!
    Maybe on opposite day.

Have you tested how well of a ground your car has everywhere?

My Cars
    '99 M3, '94 318IC
    Quote Originally Posted by spazz View Post
    .......FYI: I noticed that my E36 is actually a 92 model? Production date June/01.
    why the false pretense of trying to pretend your car is newer than you claim.....unless you ride around without registration and insurance and didn't even receive paperwork when you bought the thing, there's no way you wouldn't know what you were buying. That's just dumb trying to convince people of otherwise.

As far as limp mode is concerned, there's an ECU inside an automatic transmission that can fail or be faulty that will not throw codes on the OBD1's. If your's is an auto, that may be your problem. BMW shipped some of their E36ers with "LIFE TIME" transmission fluid that does not require servicing. For people who don't know, "LIFE TIME" = 120 000kms,....the life expectancy of the GM tranny. When the tranny oil is spent, it'll heat and cause the ECU to be faulty.

My Cars
    9? 325i AC Schnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    why the false pretense of trying to pretend your car is newer than you claim.....unless you ride around without registration and insurance and didn't even receive paperwork when you bought the thing, there's no way you wouldn't know what you were buying. That's just dumb trying to convince people of otherwise.

As far as limp mode is concerned, there's an ECU inside an automatic transmission that can fail or be faulty that will not throw codes on the OBD1's. If your's is an auto, that may be your problem. BMW shipped some of their E36ers with "LIFE TIME" transmission fluid that does not require servicing. For people who don't know, "LIFE TIME" = 120 000kms,....the life expectancy of the GM tranny. When the tranny oil is spent, it'll heat and cause the ECU to be faulty.
    OK smurfdawg, the car was imported to where i am in 1998, registered with the local gov't (pink slip) as a 1998 model yep stupid me should have checked the vin b4 i bought, the tranny is NOT GM/ZF its a JATCO from Japan, Left hand drive!
    PS: check my location, expat from canada now living here, cheers

My Cars
    9? 325i AC Schnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quailane View Post
    Maybe on opposite day.

Have you tested how well of a ground your car has everywhere?
    How do i test the ground, the battery ground is secure, where is the other ground,

now2ai8........
    limp mode feels like stuck in 3rd gear, will not shift up or down, slow off the line no speed till 40km, will not go up my drive way unless i rev it to 2500rpm then it will go

car left hand drive

My Cars
    '99 M3, '94 318IC
    good luck
    Last edited by smurfdawg; 02-08-2008 at 04:34 AM.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Man, how many batteries have you gone through? I lost count after 2!

Sounds like some sort of electrical problem with the transmission controls. Maybe a bad ground on the tranny itself?

Also, when you replace the battery, what happens that leads up to those event(s)?

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    9? 325i AC Schnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    Man, how many batteries have you gone through? I lost count after 2!

Sounds like some sort of electrical problem with the transmission controls. Maybe a bad ground on the tranny itself?

Also, when you replace the battery, what happens that leads up to those event(s)?
    frequent limp mode, then car would not start new battery ok for 10 days or so, yep 2 batteries , good idea will check tranny for ground, easy to see the tranny ground? my tranny is JATCO. Also i noticed the car would move as normal when put in drive after i remove my foot from the brake but would slowly come to a stop, put in park then drive and i will not move on its own unless i give it gas up at 2000rpm.
    Last edited by spazz; 02-08-2008 at 11:10 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Did you fix the bad wiring in the trunk?
    Next use meter to determine the parasitic current loss in the electrical system. Then hunt it down!

Good luck

My Cars
    9? 325i AC Schnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by karlow View Post
    Did you fix the bad wiring in the trunk?
    Next use meter to determine the parasitic current loss in the electrical system. Then hunt it down!

Good luck
    HOw do i see the bad wiring in the trunk?

My Cars
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    Search these forums there is a whole thread on the trunk wiring problem. It is in the bundle that goes from the body up into the trunk lid on the left side of the car.

Robert

but this one goes to eleven