Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Delete HowTo

My Cars
    hellrot 98 M3/2/5

Bumper Delete HowTo

Decided to go bumperless on Sunday so I took pics. Here's a writeup on how to do it.

Overall it's a simple mod, but involves a few key steps that will save time and frustration. Total time, 1 hr for a first timer.

Other work you can get done at the sime time includes clear sidemarkers, valance/lip install, grille mods and euro bumpers.

Tools needed:
    8, 10, 12, 13, 14MM sockets
    Phillips head screwdriver

The bumper is made up of three pieces that we will be removing. The rubber sides and bellows, the metal bumper and the bumper shocks. In order to make way to work and remove we will also be removing the grille and front valance.

1. Remove the two bolts fastening the side rubber pieces to the fender.

2. Remove the two bolts and plate that attach the bellows to the bumper

3. Remove the 6 bolts (3 on each side) that attach the bumper to the bumper shocks.

4. Remove the rubber skirt that sits over the bumper.

5. Remove the kidney center piece, side markers and grille. This involves removing the clips over the top, and 4 screws that line the bottom of the grille. The side marker has two screws that attach the housing to the body. Remove them after removing the cover.

6. Remove the bolts that attach the bumper shocks from the inside of the car. Its easiest to get to them from under the car.

7. Remove the front valance. This involves two bolts on the side of the fender and several in front.

8. Once the valance is detached, you'll notice it wont come off due to the bumper mounts on the end of the shocks. Slide the valance as far forward as it will go. This will give us access to the clamps that hold the bumper to the body.

9. The two clamps that hold the shock to the body are accessed through the front, between the valance and body. Sorry, no pic of this one.

10. If you still have the AC plumbing you'll need to remove the bolt that attaches the line to the body. It uses the shock mounting bracket. The bolt and nut are 8mm. For me, this was the most difficult part of the job :P

11. You should now be able to remove the shocks, which require some twisting to get out.

12. Put everything back on starting with the valance, then the grille.

13. Have a buddy remove the license plate from the old bumper and reattach.

In addition to now looking better, you also just shed 25lbs. of weight from the nose of the car.

_ray

My Cars
    hellrot 98 M3/2/5
    If you'll remain bumperless, you will want to fill the holes in the valance where the shocks went though and the rubber skirt was screwed into. I'll write that up when I do it. Likely next weekend.

Oh, and it'd be cool to add this to the FAQ thread.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Whoa! Thats a hugely unnecasary amount of work! I removed those difficult bolts from underneath and left the valance/grille and everything in place. Then just turn the shocks 90 deg and they pull right out the front. They aren't easy to get at but its alot easier than taking the whole front end off.

My Cars
    81 323i
    it doesn't even take 5 minutes to take the valance and grilles off. and it makes it a whole lot easier.
    -Josh

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    yeah, I don't remember ever having to take the valance off to remove the bumper shocks.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    hellrot 98 M3/2/5
    There is/was very little room to get in there to remove the clamps. I like to work comfortably and removing the valance was very simple. I did this with no prior knowledge or instruction. If you have the steps and pics on how to remove the shocks without the valance, feel free to add and i'll update the post.

My Cars
    81 323i
    u joint sockets make it possible to do it without removing the valance.
    -Josh

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86

My Cars
    '12 Caterham
    WOW i di half that much work. damn, the only time i've ever removed the front valence was when i had to beat it back intop shape when i crashed it, and i don't fancy doing it again.

My Cars
    Turbo
    so whats the quickest way to remove my bumper?

My Cars
    hellrot 98 M3/2/5
    The grille and valence removal was 5 minutes of work. *shrug*

Franchise, use the instructions, sans the valence and grille removal. Get yourself a u-joint for the 13mm nuts on the clamps and rotate the shocks 90 degrees as you pul them out.

My Cars
    Turbo
    ok i'm gonna try taking mine off right now

My Cars
    E30
    Awesome, im going to take mine off right now.. then take some pics.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    BTW, someone was asking about trouble with the fuzz without a bumper. I got pulled over the other day by a state trooper for no front license plate. I told him it fell off and I had it at home and he gave me a warning. Didn't say anything about the bumper, didn't even look other than in his mirror before he pulled me over.

My Cars
    E30
    Alright, I finally got it off.

For sure looks a lot better. I took it for a spin also, its pretty noticeable that my front end is a little lighter. Theres more balance i guess. I used some electrical tape to cover up the holes also.

My Cars
    81 323i
    omghi2barry

looks good tho
    -Josh

My Cars
    hellrot 98 M3/2/5
    i like how the solid stripe makes that look like it has a bumper. Nice.

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    I've seen one guy put some small fog/driving lights in the holes where the old bumper shocks went. Looked a bit ricey for my personal taste, but also made it look less obvious that something else was originally supposed to be there. FWIW.
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by wayfast View Post
    u joint sockets make it possible to do it without removing the valance.
    Thats how i did it.

My Cars
    '82 528i m20
    Here are two of my Bumper delete cars. I post these pics every time this topic comes up. I used generic Pickup/SUV side molding from Pepboys (1 roll does 3 cars). Along with a spoiler it makes a Motorsport-ish front end, and makes the lack of a bumper much less obvious to the local Gestapo.

My 320/2.7i:

My Century Turbo:

Yes, they are 2 different cars, just the same color. This mod really cleans up the front end of our cars.
    --dennis

My Last e21_____________My e21 Before That
    1995 Land Rover Disco 5 spd, 2002 Disco Kalahari, 2011 Lexus CT200h

My Cars
    1982 bmw 320i
    I pulled my front end apart and drilled the fluid out of the bumper shocks. welded up the shock, painted it, and put it all back together. brought the bumper in three inches, but still looks stock. Ill post pics soon.

My Cars
    Turbo
    the trim looks good... i'll do that when i take off my bumper... my attempt today was interrupted

My Cars
    '12 Caterham
    ah yes, well, i still say this is the long way to do it

My Cars
    78 318, 82 323i, 83 320i
    I can go from bumper to bumperless in roughly 15 minutes. I can go from this..

to this...

Fairly quickly. OH WAIT you guys are talking about the american
    bumpers. J/K. Notice how small my wholes are? A whole lot less obvious when I drive around with no bumper.

My Cars
    1979 320i and 1999 Honda Accord
    Thanks for posting this. I would love to get around to doing this soon. I'd also like to see some different methods of closing up those holes. I do like that SUV molding idea.
    -Charlie
    1999 Honda Accord
    1979 BMW 320i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast