Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P0444 Purge Control Valve Help

My Cars
    325i

P0444 Purge Control Valve Help

After a recent repair to replace the Thermostat ( which cleared the P0128 code), I got a p0444 code. Tried to search on fixes, etc, for this, & can't locate any.
    Fault code says: "EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid valve."
    Would appreciate suggested fix and where to look for the part in the engine area.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I'm pretty sure this is unrelated to your thermostat repair.

In general, the codes that say "EVAP" are related to the fuel vapor recovery/scrubbing system: The gas cap, the charcoal canister underneath/beside the gas tank, the related tubes & equipment.

Make sure your gas cap is tightened securely, clear the code, and drive around for a couple of days. (loose gas cap is the most common cause of EVAP codes, and is free & easy to fix). If it comes back, let us know.

Meanwhile, I'll look around a bit more and check the Bentley manual to see what else I can find...

My Cars
    2004 325i
    Hi everyone...I'm a first time user of this forum. I have a 2004 325i with 54K on it. The service engine soon light went on unexpectedly so I took it to Autozone and they read the code as P0444. Fortunately, I had no loss of power, no hesitation, no stalling, and no problems at idling. I simply cleaned the gas cap with a clean shop rag, added some fuel cleaner and 93 rated gas and within 3 starting cycles the engine light went off.

My Cars
    2002 330xi Ti Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoogeguy View Post
    "EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid valve."
    Would appreciate suggested fix and where to look for the part in the engine area.
    I had a very simular problem, if not exact problem as you. The stealership narrowed it down to the value component of the EVAP assembly located by the gas tank.

Since me car was still under a CPO warranty, the dealer fixed it with just a $50 charge. Hopefully your problem is just a poor functioning gas cap, in my case it wasn't. I tried cleaning and refitting the gas cap a couple of times, and at first, I thought it worked, but the light kept coming back.

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 4door
    i have 318 2001 got dignostics done and air mass meter came up plus carbon filter solenoid valve.ive changed the air mass meter and still have same spluttering problems whilst running idle. has any one any suggestions im first time user of this forum

My Cars
    BMW M5
    P0444 is the Purge Valve or also called (breather valve), its located in the front part of the engine, right behind the Power steering fluid tank. Its attached to the engine. it has a sensor attached to it and two hoses. Only the dealer has the part, and the cost is $120, it took me about 15 min to replace.
    Here are the steps i took.
    THE CAR MUST BE OFF

1. Remove the air filter with the air ducts(will give you more room)
    2. Remove the power steering tank(2 screws) and just move it to the side(no need to remove the hose)
    3. Remove the Purge Valve, its attached to the engine (similar attachment as the muffler) has a rubber part which attache to the engine.
    4. Remove the sensor
    5. Remove the bigger(thicker) hose(you have to push in/pres on the safety pin) when locked it sticks out, to unlock you must push in.
    6. Remove the smaller(thinner) hose(coming from engine) twist and pull(might take a while)
    7. You are done removing.

Installing the new Purge valve is much faster, You may encounter problems installing the smaller(thiner) hose.(i just greesed the tip of the purge valve and it went in with no problems)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AlexMPower; 03-03-2010 at 10:07 AM.

My Cars
    323Ci

if, if, if...

I read somewhere that both rubber hoses at the valve and air pump
    can get cracks from exhaust area heat and age.

Another less-expensive possibility...

My Cars
    Thanks for the info below. I spent $360 to get PO444 fixed. I should have done done my homework.

My Cars
    02 325i
    Does anyone have pictures of were this valve is and how to troubleshoot? Sounds like this code means a lot of things. My check engine light comes on and goes off every few days

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    Look 3 posts up?

My Cars
    02 325i
    Just getting aroound to fixing my car. I ordered this part. Is it the right thing, it looks different and is on the opposite side of the engine.

http://www.4wheelsautoparts.com/adva...3063&x=18&y=10

Any help sure would be appreciated!

Anybody?
    Last edited by bucks502; 09-14-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    I just spent 120 bucks for a new breather valve or purge solenoid what ever it's called. I'm still get the P0444. When i reset the code, i can start the car and no SES p0444. But after i shut down the car and start it up again, then the light comes on. Could this be an issue with the fuel tank sensor i've read about?

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745Li

P0444 Error Code Details, DIY, Parts Information (Purge Control Valve/breather valve)

Autozone scanned my 05 BMW 745Li for the code P0444
    P0444 Evap Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open

It turned out to be the fuel tank breather valve which was stuck open (sporadically)
    Certified side shop I found on craigslist quoted me $250 for the entire repair. Took a little under 2 hours.
    BMW Part Number for my 745Li is: 13 90 7 506 739

Part can be found here (Enter your make and model):
    http://www.koperformance.com/online_...t_log=26409263

DIY for a M5 description and pictures are here:
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...e-code-e8.html

Parts and Diagram also can be found here:
    http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...901711395.html
    Last edited by kttja; 02-21-2011 at 08:13 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Thank you. My problem was different. I accidentally swapped one of the octopus looking wires with another wire. I can't believe they made two identical harness within the same area. Lots of people had this same problem too.

My Cars
    2002 530i, 07 x5
    hey guys, I have p0444 for a while now. I replaced the breather valve today. Still, get the code... What am i missing? I check the valve's voltage from the wire, around 5v? is it suppose to be 12v around? Also, I believe i have the correct harness... Please help

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    ^^ did you do any work prior to the light coming on? make sure you got the correct harness. If you did work in that area, try swapping the harness from the other one that fit it. chances are, you got the wrong harness plugged in.

My Cars
    i can haz wheelz
    Does anyone know where the electrical connector for the fuel tank breather valve goes? On my car (04/1995 build 318is) the electrical connector was never plugged in.

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    Might wanna try in the E36 forum...?

My Cars
    i can haz wheelz
    Yeah, I realized that after I posted

My Cars
    BMW X5

P00443

hello i keep getting this code on my 2002 BMW X5 4.41 P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit i look online but not sure it the picture is see are the right one can u help me out with the code please an where in the car it going my husband said he would put it in for me if i get the right information an about how much it cost sorry the code is P0443

p0443
    Last edited by ilaing4296; 01-24-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Having the p444 error on my 2003 325i... Replaced valve and error still comes back.....on harness i only see one wire connected should there be 2?

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Fixed it, last person who worked on car switched the two harnesses....anyone know what the other harness goes to? I just swapped them and now code is gone.

My Cars
    bwm 330ic, mb clk 500
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YjonHGuIa4 great video about how to replace one... guy has a sailors mouth, but seems to know the stuff, does not say if it fixes it or if he needs just a new gas cap

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325Ci
    May just be a coincidence, but my P0444 code popped up within a week after replacing my thermostat to clear the P0128...

My Cars
    318i convertible 03/1996
    I have done the same I think and now my oil light wont come on. which cables did you mix up? sorry to bring up an old post by the way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast