Thread: Differance in GM and ZF transmission

My Cars
    2000 323i

Difference in GM and ZF transmission

New owner of a 2000 323i with 90k and after reading about transmission problems all over this site I have become concerned about the transmission. In searching this site I found a link to the ZF/GM Transmission and Oil chart. Upon reading my manufacture date of 07/00, I see my transmission is listed as a ZF 5HP19(A5S 325Z)transmission.
    Is there a difference between the GM and ZF or are they the same units with the same "reverse" problem I have read about.
    Last edited by rhk31; 01-17-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    They are different units with the same basic configuration, purpose and operation. But they do have different components and specs (obviously, as they're made by different manufacturers). I have heard and read that they do not both have the same reverse problem. I don't recall which was which however, maybe someone else can chime in. I'm pretty sure the one in my Xi is the one that doesn't have the reverse problem, but it's been so long since I've looked, that' I've forgotten which trans is in my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.