Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring Project Begins...

My Cars
    A BMW

Touring Project Begins...

Picked up the car this weekend and the project has already begun!!!

First mods, M-tech II steering wheel and One piece shift knob/boot...

Here are pictures I took on 1/12/08 and I will be updating as the project progresses.

Up first: General Maintenance and repairing of the following:

Gauge Cluster needs to be replaced.
    Leak in rear Washer Fluid line
    Exhaust Leak/Noise from header area.
    Blower motor (no heat right now)
    Front Door does not unlock the car but it does lock it.

While at the shop for maintenance the following mods will take place:
    Z3 Short Throw shifter upgrade.
    Ordering 17" Kopis and Conti A/S tires
    CD43 radio upgrade
    Possible Suspension Upgrade
    Possible Exhaust replacement (depending on the problem from above).
    Front Seat replacement with Sport Black Vinyl (take out rear covers to send out for rear Vinyl's to be made).

On order:
    M-tech II body kit

Hopefully all the above will be completed within 4-6 weeks. I'll try to update step by step. Enjoy!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    A BMW
    More pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    86 911, 02 M3, 90 325is
    Awesome! I really would like to get one someday.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport
    The slogan on NH plates is "Live free or die"? Thats pretty hardcore!

My Cars
    Two, Two BMW's hahaha
    how much heavyer are those then a IS? does that car have LSD? and the same engine as in a I or IS?

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si
    <-- jealous!! I love wagons... Audi S4 Avants are the best, and this is a good example of the BMW variation I guess. Maybe not the same power level but the same smile factor.

Hey could you do me a huge favor? I want to see the TRUE cargo capacity of the Touring. Could you take a picture from outside of the car, from the rear, with the cargo door open (aka trunk open). Would love to see a good quality picture showing the size/area of the trunk. Thanks!

PS: You got a nice color choice too. When you're ready to sell this car, LMK.
    ˇˇˇ Shaka! ˇˇˇ Ari Jay Comet : üncensored! ˇˇˇ

My Cars
    A BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by makaio View Post
    Awesome! I really would like to get one someday.
    Thanks! It was a lucky find.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    The slogan on NH plates is "Live free or die"? Thats pretty hardcore!
    Yes, we are pretty hardcore up here.

Quote Originally Posted by billyfiction View Post
    how much heavyer are those then a IS? does that car have LSD? and the same engine as in a I or IS?
    I'll get the weight off the door! No LSD on this one, BASE 318 with Euro Only M40 motor (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    <-- jealous!! I love wagons... Audi S4 Avants are the best, and this is a good example of the BMW variation I guess. Maybe not the same power level but the same smile factor.

Hey could you do me a huge favor? I want to see the TRUE cargo capacity of the Touring. Could you take a picture from outside of the car, from the rear, with the cargo door open (aka trunk open). Would love to see a good quality picture showing the size/area of the trunk. Thanks!

PS: You got a nice color choice too. When you're ready to sell this car, LMK.
    I'll snap a pic of the cargo area. I just loaded two front seats in there no problem though (with the back seat down). S4 avants are cool but remember this E30 Touring was never imported by BMW to north america!!! Keep posted though hopefully your smile will only get bigger!!!

My Cars
    '87 535is Thruxton
    Was that the Canadian touring off of Ebay from a few weeks ago? Did you have any problems tagging it? I reeeeeeeeeeeeally want one....Nice find.

My Cars
    A BMW
    It was off Ebay. I live in NH so getting a vehicle tagged isn't difficult. Just registered it as a "title exempt" vehicle. Any car over 15 years old doesn't require a title. Just a bill of sale and a VIN Verification form.

I did call BMWNA and "registered importers" regarding bringing the car in and BMW said nothing and no RI's called me back. So I just got the VIN verification form and the billl of sale and it was registered.

I also sent BMWNA a "warranty verification" form, which they told me just let them know it was in the country.

I actually bought this as a temporary project between my E46 and the 135i I have a deposit on. The original plan was to bring it back to its glory and upgrade and then sell it off for at least what I have into it.

The motor is strong as I just drove from Toronto to NH at 80mph with NO issues!!! Suspension is soft but brakes are solid as is the car. Almost NO rust underneath, no major leaks, the car is in GREAT mechanical shape and Good exterior shape.

Keep posted I may sell in the summer if work hasn't picked up by then.

My Cars
    '91 Schwarz 325i, '05 X5
    Nice! I've always wanted a touring and hoping to get one someday...

Vilde
    My '91 BMW E30 325i, for sale!

My Cars
    '87 535is Thruxton
    I was at the Zippo GP at Watkins Glen in September '07 and I met a father and son that had driven down from Ontario in their e30 touring. I don't remember if it had the s50, or the m50 swap, but my fate was sealed.......really any motor willl be fine with me........what "upgrades" do you have planned? (....just in case....)

My Cars
    A BMW
    I just order some Alpina Kopis with Conti Extreme Contacts.

Also ordered some Used MTech II side skirts and door panels and am placing an order for some new front and rear bumpers (and front lower valence). So exterior styling will be Alpina Kopis with Full Mtech II body kit. Also going to do Clear lenses in the front and sides and think I found some all red MHW taillights in the UK that I'm going to order.

Also going to do Bilsteins, H+Rs (maybe Bav Sport Springs), and some sway bars for suspension.

Need to order a Z3 shifter to shorten the throw.

Already have sport speats all set and ready to go and going to have rears made (all in Black vinyl).

That will be it for the time being. Depending on where I land with $$ spent I may look into motor swaps, but the M40 in there trucks along pretty nicely.

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    holy shit man

that car is amazing and i cant believe you got it registered, keep us updated man. im really liking the hatch wipers and headlight adjusters.

are you getting a genuine mtech 2 kit?
    Last edited by davey101; 01-13-2008 at 09:44 PM.

My Cars
    '89 4dr e30 335i
    Body looks straight and tidy, as with the interior Though it looks like there is a little rust around rear apron?
    Better tidy that up before you put the mTech II on or it will only get worse...
    Any ideas whats going to happen to that little 4 popper? FI on the list or what?
    >f/l = facelift (1988-1992) - plastic bumpers
    >pre f/l = pre facelift. (1983-1988) - chrome bumpers
    (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Drinking Jägermeister bombs improves both your intelligence and the intelligence of the group as a whole.

My Cars
    325ic,,1992...fiat coupe16vturbo 1996
    the usual place to look for rust on these (apart from the normal) is round the tailgate ..take the rubber seal off and have a look there ...might save you trouble later...oh yes and remember tourings have a different spring rate to saloons ..the equivalent is the cab!...if you want more info check on the zone

My Cars
    09 535ix Touring M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by NHskibm View Post
    BASE 318 with Euro Only M40 motor (I think)
    If it's an M40 I'll take that flywheel off your hands

My Cars
    A BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by davey101 View Post
    holy shit man

that car is amazing and i cant believe you got it registered, keep us updated man. im really liking the hatch wipers and headlight adjusters.

are you getting a genuine mtech 2 kit?
    thanks Dave! Yes, I'm going genuine Mtech II. getting some used and some new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchSnappy View Post
    Body looks straight and tidy, as with the interior Though it looks like there is a little rust around rear apron?
    Better tidy that up before you put the mTech II on or it will only get worse...
    Any ideas whats going to happen to that little 4 popper? FI on the list or what?
    Yeah, there is some rust on the rear apron and the front lower valence. I'm going to get it all sanded down and at covered up before the kit goes on. There is very little surface rust underneath as well but that is going to be sanded and coated as well. I've learned my lessons with my IX project.

Not sure what I'm doing about the motor. Believe it or not that thing moves right along just fine. I even got 27 mpg on the way home and I know it needs a tune-up.

Quote Originally Posted by n3dsd View Post
    the usual place to look for rust on these (apart from the normal) is round the tailgate ..take the rubber seal off and have a look there ...might save you trouble later...oh yes and remember tourings have a different spring rate to saloons ..the equivalent is the cab!...if you want more info check on the zone
    Thanks! I was hoping to take a look in there and possibly replace the rubber seal. I know the tailgate is #1 on the list of things I need to keep an eye on! I didn't realize that they have different spring rates than sedans... So the 318iT is the same spring set-up as the 318iC?? What is the zone? Do you have a link? THANKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ///M3Mike View Post
    If it's an M40 I'll take that flywheel off your hands
    haha

My Cars
    Various junk
    SWEET.

Good to hear you made it back ok!

If you do a swap, definitely put something in with some juice. Like an S50/52.

My Cars
    A BMW
    thanks fred!

I'm going to need some radio help again... can I tempt you with Johnny???

My Cars
    325ic,,1992...fiat coupe16vturbo 1996
    the zone is

http://www.e30zone.net

in the UK solely for e30s ,,,the best

My Cars
    A BMW
    Thanks! The more places to go for info the better!!!

And update for everyone:

Kopis shipped out today!

M-tech II front and rear kit ordered today!

Body shop appointment for 2/4/2008 for spraying!!!

The plan is starting to come together...

My Cars
    Various junk
    Quote Originally Posted by NHskibm View Post
    thanks fred!

I'm going to need some radio help again... can I tempt you with Johnny???
    Nah, no Johnnie needed. You bought enough Johnnie last time for TWO radio installs!

My Cars
    A BMW
    why thank you kind sir... I'll let you know when the radio comes in... (I probably should order it first)... This time perhaps rob can get us in the shop... If not I have a shop in NH we could use..

My Cars
    Various junk
    Maybe you oughta just drive on over to my house when you do get it, that'd be the most convenient for me!

My Cars
    A BMW
    Sounds like a plan!! I don't mind coming to you at all! I'll order everything up then!

Edit: Ok now everything is on order: harness, antena adapter, and CD43...
    Last edited by NHskibm; 01-14-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Update for Fred

Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast