Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: my build thread: 2 years in the making.

My Cars
    e36 m3, e46 325, e36
    I like the seats...nice choice!

My Cars
    2005 325i, Twin Turbo Vette
    Very nice buildup so far.

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to comment on something I noticed in the short block build pictures you posted at the beginning of this thread. I noticed that the main cap nuts were not fully engaging the main cap studs. Assuming that the nuts were fully torqued down onto the main studs in your photos, the nut threads were not fully engaged on the stud and actually several nut threads were exposed. If this is correct, your main studs are too short. There should be at least 2 stud threads protruding past the nut. ARP actually recommends the equivalent of 1/2 the diameter of the stud.

Like I said, very nice build up, I'd hate to see you have a bottom end failure due to a fastener issue.

I've been building high-performance street and marine engines for several years, including turbo engines, and it caught my eye in your photos.

Since I'm new, I can't post photos or URL's, but if you go to
    montygwilliams dot com you'll see some pics of a pumpgas 1200hp/1000tq twin turbo engine I built for an older Corvette that I drive around. I used a pair of Precision Turbo PT-52's, using 60-1 compressors and PTE's custom exhaust housing. I built/Tig'd it all in my garage as well.
    Good luck.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    uh oh,
    tear it back apart.
    dammit.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by montywilliams View Post

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to comment on something I noticed in the short block build pictures you posted at the beginning of this thread. I noticed that the main cap nuts were not fully engaging the main cap studs. Assuming that the nuts were fully torqued down onto the main studs in your photos, the nut threads were not fully engaged on the stud and actually several nut threads were exposed. If this is correct, your main studs are too short. There should be at least 2 stud threads protruding past the nut. ARP actually recommends the equivalent of 1/2 the diameter of the stud.

Like I said, very nice build up, I'd hate to see you have a bottom end failure due to a fastener issue.

I've been building high-performance street and marine engines for several years, including turbo engines, and it caught my eye in your photos.

montygwilliams dot com you'll see some pics of a pumpgas 1200hp/1000tq twin turbo engine I built for an older Corvette that I drive around. I used a pair of Precision Turbo PT-52's, using 60-1 compressors and PTE's custom exhaust housing. I built/Tig'd it all in my garage as well.
    Good luck.
    Yeah, the studs that ARP makes for these engines are a bit short. My machinist told me to stick a small ball bearing or the like under the stud to bottom it out sooner. ARP really needs to make slightly longer main studs.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi

Good luck.
    if your referring to these pictures they are NOT tq'ed (note the gap in the front cap)

My Cars
    I can see the gap between the main cap and the main web on those, I wasn't referring to them. The pictures I was referring to are in Post # 13 where the description lists the "main caps installed" and specifically Post #14, where it appears the windage tray is fully installed, and is described as such, and there are still exposed threads on the main stud nuts. Like I said, it's difficult to tell whether they are torqued or not, I was just bringing up a point I noticed. I think everyone would agree that it would be a shame if there were a fastener failure due to the lack of thread engagement and main stud stretch/preload. Without proper thread engagement, the torque preload could be lost and/or the threads that are engaged could be sheared off.

I couldn't find specific mention/recommendation of at least 2 exposed stud threads exposed past the nut, or the recommendation that the equivalent of 1/2 the studs diameter's worth of threads be exposed (a call to ARP would verify it though), but I did find this on the ARP website:

"An additional factor must be taken into account in defining the bolt configuration: the length of engaged thread. If too few threads are engaged, the threads will shear at loads that are lower than the strength of the bolt. As a practical matter, the thread length is always selected so that the thread shear strength is -significantly greater than the bolt tension strength."

Hopefully it's a non-issue as it was would surprise the heck out of me if ARP was selling studs that were too short. I've used their fastners exclusively for years, I actually helped them sort out a main stud kit when the Dart Iron Eagle/GM Rocket block was released.
    Last edited by montywilliams; 02-22-2008 at 08:54 AM.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Hopefully it's a non-issue as it was would surprise the heck out of me if ARP was selling studs that were too short. I've used their fastners exclusively for years, I actually helped them sort out a main stud kit when the Dart Iron Eagle/GM Rocket block was released.

Prepare to be surprised, they're too short.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuasha View Post
    Prepare to be surprised, they're too short.
    truth, its the same for most all the these builds..

if its an issue later, i can always pull the sub-frame and drop the pan to rectify

My Cars
    BMWs
    Strange - my studs fit great.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by s52e368 View Post
    truth, its the same for most all the these builds..

if its an issue later, i can always pull the sub-frame and drop the pan to rectify
    The problem is that if it becomes an issue, it'll be too late to "rectify" and removing the pan will be the least of your worries. If one of your main cap nuts loses preload or the threads sheer, the bottom end of you engine will be scattered along the road behind you. Give ARP a call and ask them what they think, I'll bet they'll say the same thing. I don't know how much you've got in your motor so far, I have $40k in my twin turbo, but I'm sure it's quite a bit. It would be a shame to hurt it due to the proverbial 10 cent part (or in this case $150 main stud kit).

As for the difference between the fitiment of the studs in your block and the one just posted above, your block may have been drilled and tapped just slightly deeper. ARP offers their studs in 1/4" increments, or several mm's in this case, you just need to get longer one's.

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Strange - my studs fit great.

jon you running the washers ?
    doesnt look like it

My Cars
    BMWs
    I think so Carl - engine guy put it together and he's done so for a while, I don't have a better pic

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    I think so Carl - engine guy put it together and he's done so for a while, I don't have a better pic
    couldnt tell i was gauging from the "cap base thickness"

My Cars
    Sorry to be "Mr. Negative", but if he's not, that's a problem too. You need the washer to ensure that friction between the block and the underside of the nut isn't resulting in an incorrect torque reading. The friction will cause the torque to read higher than what is required to properly preload and stretch the stud.

My Cars
    BMWs
    I'll ask my engine guy tomorrow - I will go up. I can't tell honestly.

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    Sorry to be "Mr. Negative", but if he's not, that's a problem too. You need the washer to ensure that friction between the block and the underside of the nut isn't resulting in an incorrect torque reading. The friction will cause the torque to read higher than what is required to properly preload and stretch the stud.
    actually thats not correct either..

im on the phone with arp now and they said if not aluminum i can remove the washers. Technical Support: 800.826.3045

i also emailed him those pics in question, waiting for response.

My Cars
    [quote=s52e368;12194890]actually thats not correct either..

im on the phone with arp now and they said if not aluminum i can remove the washers. Technical Support: 800.826.3045

i also emailed him those pics in question, waiting for response.[/quotte]

"not correct either..."? What else is incorrect, that all the nuts threads should be engaged?

I realize there is assembly/moly lube under it, but not using the nut will have an influence on the final torque reading. If you question them, I'm sure they would say that ideally you should use the washers, but you could get away with it. Like any other business, they wouldn't go through the expense of manufacturing and including those washers in the kit if they weren't needed. ARP puts alot of effort into ensuring their washed are parallel ground, coated, and of consistent thickness and hardness. They're not typical hardware store, stamped, grade-8 washers.

However, during initial assembly, to ensure accurate torque readings, ARP recommends that the nut be torqued down 5 cycles. Torque the nut to the final reading in 3 increments, i.e. 30 ft lbs, then 60 ft lbs, then to the final 75 ft lbs as an example, then remove the nut, and repeat 4 more times. This ensures that the nut and stud threads are perfectly mated and helps overcome thread friction. The final torque sequence will result in a more representive indication of the studs preload/stretch rrather than the internal friction of the threads between the nut and stud or bolt.

This is all very anal, but it's straight out of ARP's catalog and installation instructions.

In any event, it's your engine. It's very nice, good luck with it.
    Last edited by montywilliams; 02-22-2008 at 11:57 AM.

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    [QUOTE=montywilliams;12195012]
    Quote Originally Posted by s52e368 View Post
    actually thats not correct either..

i also emailed him those pics in question, waiting for response.[/quotte]

"not correct either..."? What else is incorrect, that all the nuts threads should be engaged?

I realize there is assembly/moly lube under it, but not using the nut to have an influence on the final torque reading.

However, during initial assembly, to ensure accurate torque readings, ARP recommends that the nut be torqued down 5 cycles. Torque the nut to the final reading in 3 increments, i.e. 30 ft lbs, then 60 ft lbs, then to the final 75 ft lbs as an example, then remove the nut, and repeat 4 more times. This ensures that the nut and stud threads are perfectly mated and helps overcome thread friction. The final torque sequence will result in a more representive indication of the studs preload/stretch rrather than the internal friction of the threads between the nut and stud or bolt.

This is all very anal, but it's straight out of ARP's catalog and installation instructions.
    ok well thanks for the info. ill look into it .. is that what you wanted to hear ?

My Cars
    Sorry, I was just trying to help, I certainly was not trying to be confrontational. Like I said, you've got a very nice engine, I'd hate to see it ruined because of a fastener. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do. I won't comment further.

My Cars
    BMWs
    carl they said in an iron block the washers aren't necessary?

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    carl they said in an iron block the washers aren't necessary?
    yes, (strange i know)

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    Sorry, I was just trying to help, I certainly was not trying to be confrontational. Like I said, you've got a very nice engine, I'd hate to see it ruined because of a fastener. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do. I won't comment further.
    well it seemed that way. but i am looking into it further and may have time this weekend to inspect it further.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Hm I'll ask Jim tomorrow

My Cars
    yes
    Never seen an aftermarket main bolt without a washer. I would think that the harder bolt material would cut into the softer cast iron and skew the torque readings.

But, I'm not an engineer at ARP

Don

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    direct response from ARP:

HI CARL,

YOU CAN REMOVE THE WASHER OR TURN OUT THE STUD A COUPLE OF TURNS WHICH WONT HURT A BIT

THANK YOU, GIL

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast