Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convertible Top Manual 94-99 BMW 3 Series

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert

Convertible Top Manual 94-99 BMW 3 Series

I decided to replace my convertible top myself a few months back. To my knowledge, and according to most everyone who post here daily, there is no DIY for replacing the top.

My top came with what can almost be called instructions. Having nothing else to go on, I followed these pages and replaced my top and tension straps in less than a day. That may seem fast to some or slow to others but this wasn't a race for me. My installation process consisted of many breaks where I would review and double check each new step before proceeding. I cleaned and lubricated the top assembly and removed any rust and repainted. I was also careful to remove the old top in the best condition possible and used it for reference constantly. I didn't wish to reinstall or replace the headliner which saved me some install time as well.

I remembered recently I saved the pages from the top manual I used, so I scanned these pages and will post them here. Again, this is not a "Convertible top for dummies" manual. It is painfully specific and short and only acts as a guide throughout your job. But...had I not had these pages, I would have never finished this install as quickly or as well as I did...if at all.

I hope people find this useful.

John

2003 Z4 - Black / Black | 5 Speed | 18"x8.5" CSL | CDV Delete

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    Parts to the boot.

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    Headliner Page 1 of 2

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    Headliner Page 2 of 2

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    Top replacement Pages 1 through 6 as follows in order.

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert

My Cars
    e36 m3 cab,e39 m5,e302.5
    Hey thanks for that just what i needed

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325ic, 2003 EB Expedition, 2004 Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by Elefntkpr View Post
    U DA MAN

My Cars
    318i

Thank you so much...

This is timely and very helpful.

I was just about to embark on doing this, but I have been intimidated. Where did you get your top and are you happy with it. The instructions mention special tools. are you able to do this with out them. also, what did you use as adhesive.

Thanks John

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    Bought top off Ebay from Topsonline.com seller who also has a website. I'm sorry to say I honestly can't remember how much I paid, but I think it was around 400.00. But on Ebay they were selling it as a kit which included the tensioner straps. I had no special tools nor do I have any idea what those might be. I used normal tools, brute force and patience. The top comes made a bit smaller than exact size so stretching that turd on can be a long process. I had to let the top sit in the sun for a long time before I could get it to stretch on. Then it had to sit in the sun some more before I could fully close the top.

The only problems I had were:
    a. I started using the top too soon before it had a chance to stretch fully and settle in which resulted in the famous "snake bites". Since the top has adjusted, settled, and stretched it doesn't happen anymore.
    b. I didn't get the tensioner straps mounted properly. I still have to pick up on the top a bit to get it to retract.

Other than that it really wasn't that complex or difficult, just time consuming.

Oh and I used normal brush on high heat contact cement and so far not one part I glued has even thought about coming loose.

One thing for sure, make certain you use a silicon or sealent between the winshield gasket and the actuall top. I didn't do this and it started to leak after the second rain. I ended up having to seal it after the fact and got a small amount of silicon on the top itself. You can't tell unless you looking for it up close, but I look at my car up close all the time so I always see it and it kills me.

Good luck.

John

My Cars
    318i
    Did you have to rivet the window pillar back on? I can't figure out that part.

John B

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by jpblood View Post
    Did you have to rivet the window pillar back on? I can't figure out that part.

John B
    Yes, I had to use rivets to resecure the rear quarter window pillars. The back strip and the front strip screw back in place.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325ic, 2003 EB Expedition, 2004 Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by Elefntkpr View Post
    Yes, I had to use rivets to resecure the rear quarter window pillars. The back strip and the front strip screw back in place.
    Where did you get your rivet gun. What is the model and brand name of gun?

My Cars
    318i
    I'm finished, I did it. It was a pain, but hey, I like saving thousands of dollars. (dealer quote on replacement was $5,000.00!!) I used Topsonline.com ("Vic" is great) the EZ-On brand top fit perfectly. It still took ten hours and these instructions are cryptic at best. The rivets require an improvised spacer to install. I used a small (1/4" long x 1/4" aluminum tube, but someone mentioned using that threaded thing from the end of spark plugs) Anyway, Thanks for all the help.

My Cars
    11 335i
    damn. i just forked out the grand for someone to do it for me. flawless and didnt have to lift a finger haha but youre the shit for doing this yourself

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    what an awesome thread. i put a link to it in the stickied thread, so people can find it there too. good job!

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch smith View Post
    Where did you get your rivet gun. What is the model and brand name of gun?
    I honestly don't remember the brand of rivet gun nor is it indicated on the gun. But from my experience that's never mattered with this tool. The only thing I'd look for is to see if it accomodates different rivet sizes via changeable heads.

As Jpblood said you have to improvise and use a spacer to be able to secure the seal and window channel for the rear quarter windows.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by jpblood View Post
    I'm finished, I did it. It was a pain, but hey, I like saving thousands of dollars. (dealer quote on replacement was $5,000.00!!) I used Topsonline.com ("Vic" is great) the EZ-On brand top fit perfectly. It still took ten hours and these instructions are cryptic at best. The rivets require an improvised spacer to install. I used a small (1/4" long x 1/4" aluminum tube, but someone mentioned using that threaded thing from the end of spark plugs) Anyway, Thanks for all the help.
    Way to go man! Sorry I didn't get to answer your question sooner, was out of town. But it appears you figured it out anyways so who needs me? heh Glad to hear you got your top on. Did your straps go on right and work? That's my biggest regret that I didn't get those mounted tight enough and/or properly.

John

My Cars
    98 323ic, 2002 M3 Conv
    How about a link to a pdf file of the manual?

My Cars
    2003 E85 Z4 Vert
    I scanned the images from the actual manual and don't have Adobe software to create the pdf files. I'll see if we have it at work, if so I'll convert them.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Man View Post
    How about a link to a pdf file of the manual?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast