Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY: E46 Idle Control Valve (ICV)

My Cars
    323ci
    Nvm, I gave up.....I just cleaned 1 side which is the side I could see...1 side of the 'T' shape....

Same with the TB opening...don't know how to get the last intake elbow out....so I just sprayed the cleaner from the last intake elbow and stuff a cloth in to clean.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by weisiong123 View Post
    Also, how do I remove the last intake elbow to access the TB opening ?
    Quote Originally Posted by weisiong123 View Post
    Same with the TB opening...don't know how to get the last intake elbow out....so I just sprayed the cleaner from the last intake elbow and stuff a cloth in to clean.
    The rubber intake tubing is all held together, including the connection at the throttle body, with hose clamps. Feel around the circumference of the clamp for the hex head. The hex heads at the throttle body and the ICV on my car were located at very awkward angles, but I was able to loosen them with the help of a flex driver.

When you put everything back together, you can reposition the clamp so that it will be more accessible the next time you have to take something apart.

My Cars
    323ci
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
    The rubber intake tubing is all held together, including the connection at the throttle body, with hose clamps. Feel around the circumference of the clamp for the hex head. The hex heads at the throttle body and the ICV on my car were located at very awkward angles, but I was able to loosen them with the help of a flex driver.

When you put everything back together, you can reposition the clamp so that it will be more accessible the next time you have to take something apart.
    Yes, I always reposition those clamps..but somehow I can't seem to reach the clamps on the last intake tubing.

My Cars
    BMW 328Ci

P1510

Thanks GweedoSpeedo for the write up

My Engine Service Light just came up last night, and went away today.

Codes: 1 of 1
    P1510 - Maint Cntrl Veh. Speed
    Idle Speed Control
    Auxiliary Inputs
    What does this codes mean? P1510 Idle Control Valve / Adjuster Unit is going to be cleaned to see if thats the culprits for the rough idle. Also buying a new rubber intake boot...if it helps. What you guys think?
    High Mileage 325,xxx and counting...
    BMW runs in the family
    3-Series my whole life
    e30 325i / e36 328is /
    e46 323i / 328Ci / 330Ci / 335i E92 / E46 M3

My Cars
    330cic
    Can you tell me what the piece is call in picture under step 12 where you have the red arrow pointing to. My e46 that piece is crack which lets a lot of air in. That i think is the cause of why my idle is acting crasy and shuts down my car sometime.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    does this thread only pertain to coupe 5 speed?

My Cars
    r.i.p. '01 325Ci 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    does this thread only pertain to coupe 5 speed?
    I don't know for certain but I doubt it. I'm going out on a limb and saying I think all E46's have their ICV's in the same spot.
    I want my baby back...

My Cars
    328CI
    my god, clean your engine bay

My Cars
    r.i.p. '01 325Ci 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by raylightt123 View Post
    my god, clean your engine bay
    Car was in an accident resulting in a total loss so it's in even worse shape now...
    I want my baby back...

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri4501 View Post
    Can you tell me what the piece is call in picture under step 12 where you have the red arrow pointing to. My e46 that piece is crack which lets a lot of air in. That i think is the cause of why my idle is acting crasy and shuts down my car sometime.
    That can definitely cause that and it's a very common problem. I would go ahead and replace both the upper and lower intake boots(the one you're referring to is the lower) if your car is over 4 yrs old. They're $15 or so a piece.

Anyways, I thought I'd say I just got done cleaning the DISA valve and the ICV. Took me 1:10 start to finish.

My Cars
    1999 328i e46 euro version

Thank you!!

Thanks for this great write up! My ICV was stuck when I pulled it out, I sprayed it down with electronic cleaner and then it started moving on the inside when I shook it, I hooked everything back up and my rough idle was gone!!! My only question is if it's safe to drive around without installing those annoying little metal clips on the ICV ?!!?! I couldn't put it back in and then I lost it ... it was also a pain to put back the lining (the one the OP referred to as an "obtuse piece of plastic") any suggestions on how to get it back on easily?!?! Thanks again!!!!!

My Cars
    325xi

Thanx

Thank you man, I did replaced ICV and so far no stalling and no rough idle, I do own Bentley manual and according to them I would have to remove da whole intake manifold, which is not easy task to do..great post.

My Cars
    MTree
    I think I need a new DISA. I unplugged the power to it and all the noise went away. The video can be found here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...87&postcount=1

Two questions:

1) Is there any way to repair this part? Otherwise, it's going to be $200 for a new one.

2) Using this DIY as a guide, can I just remove the DISA without removing other items? Is it just the two torx bolts or will something have to go to free up access?

My Cars
    BMW 2001 325i
    Great job putting this up. I live in L.A. and its not cold but my car stalls a lot espacailly when I'm in stop in go traffic with the AC on. It dips way to low. You think if I clean my Idle Control valve it should fix this problem?

My Cars
    MTree
    Quote Originally Posted by atwater3030 View Post
    Great job putting this up. I live in L.A. and its not cold but my car stalls a lot espacailly when I'm in stop in go traffic with the AC on. It dips way to low. You think if I clean my Idle Control valve it should fix this problem?
    Cleaning the ICV has been known to improve idle and restore low end torque. I see you're new here, check out E46fanatics.com and search under the general area for threads that will answer your inquiry in more detail.
    BFC is more like e36.com

My Cars
    BMW 2001 325i
    Thanks bro! I have a great weekend lined up now. Stop oil leak do to striped threading on the oil pan, replace water expansion tank, clean the ICV. : )

My Cars
    2001 330xi, 2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by M13 View Post
    I think I need a new DISA. I unplugged the power to it and all the noise went away. The video can be found here:

Two questions:

1) Is there any way to repair this part? Otherwise, it's going to be $200 for a new one.

2) Using this DIY as a guide, can I just remove the DISA without removing other items? Is it just the two torx bolts or will something have to go to free up access?
    1)You may be able to epoxy the shaft to the paddle to take up the play, but personally I just called Vines BMW and asked for a manifold adjuster unit...$75

2)Yup, 2 torx bolts and you don't have to touch anything else to remove it

Now, can someone help me out? The little F connector off the intake elbow in the original DIY pics of this thread....can anyone tell me where the line to the small nipple (the one that broke) goes to? My vacuum lines are all mixed up and I can't get any info on it. Please help!

My Cars
    MTree
    Quote Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
    1)You may be able to epoxy the shaft to the paddle to take up the play, but personally I just called Vines BMW and asked for a manifold adjuster unit...$75
    $75 for the unit? Are you talking about Part # 11617544805?

It's around $170

My Cars
    2001 330xi, 2001 330i
    Yup, just got mine in....they'll quote you around a hundred for it, tell them you need it for $75, that's what I got mine for. Now can someone answer my question?? lol

My Cars
    MTree
    http://www.vinesauto.com/

Is that them? Did they send you a new part? refurbished? used?

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Rephrase?

My Cars
    2001 330xi, 2001 330i
    Yea, that's them....That's for a used one, I just told them to try and check it for play and they sent me a good one, no more chatter.

On the intake elbow there is a little plastic F shaped connector with a big hose and a small hose, where does the small hose go to?
    Last edited by iaknown; 01-19-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Woodland Hills > San Fernando Valley > LA > SoCal
    My Cars
    01 330ci 5spd
    i just finished cleaning my ICV. that thing was so dirty. i only have 100k miles too. i was cleaning it and big chunks of carbon was falling out. after i cleaned it the valve moved freely. my problem is better, the car doesn't stall but still has some weird idle issues. next thing i'mna do is clean the maf.

also i suggest removing all the pieces. at first i didn't want to because it was too much work, but after loosing two sockets(i only found 1) i found the extra space useful.

great diy.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    The F fitting that is broken on your car is described below...

The little elbow is the one you need

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

Woodland Hills > San Fernando Valley > LA > SoCal
    My Cars
    01 330ci 5spd
    i didn't even take that connector out. i just left it on the intake tubing and moved the tubing aside. haha

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    that would've been the smart move...hehe

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast