Thread: Engine Code Reader

My Cars
    1990 318t eurospec

Engine Code Reader

My service oil light and inspection lights came on. I change my own oil and dont really know why the inspection light came on. I do all my own mantience so I would rather not take the car to the dealer to get them to reset the lights, so Im thinking of getting one of those code reader/reset tools from Peake Research. Does anyone have any experience with these... good or bad or should I just take it to the dealer.

My Cars
    86 911, 02 M3, 90 325is
    I have one and it works great. Obviously our cars have OBD-1 so it's not supper accurate to the exact problem, but points in you in the proper direction. When I purchased mine a couple years ago, Pelican Parts had the best price.

My Cars
    1990 318t eurospec
    Hey thanks for the reply, Ill check out pelican parts.

My Cars
    86 911, 02 M3, 90 325is
    I just noticed your car is an euro spec. I can't remember if the Peak tool works on euro cars or not. If somebody else doesn't chime in, I'll check mine when I get home tomorrow and report back.

My Cars
    87 - 325is Euro Version
    I would be curious to know if it works on euro spec cars too. I don't have a check engine light, so it would be interesting to know if a code scanner would work in the diagnostic port. Mine is the newer style port.

Car is an 87 325is.

My Cars
    Moby Dick the whale.
    Should work fine. To the best of my knowledge you have the same engine management system as any other m20 made for this year.
    Molon Labe.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    We don't have OBD-I on the m20. We have pre-OBD reporting.
    A special tool won't tell you more than the five-pedal-press reporting will -- the Peake tool is pretty much pointless.

Use a jumper to reset the service lights. I use a paper clip. If you are really concerned about doing something wrong, buy a 330 ohm resistor at Radio shack and use that.

SuperJ (thanks!) sent me a reset tool so that I could take it apart and see what it did. It was the FT reset tool sold by BMW -- the exact one pictured in the e30 sales brochures. It's just a 555 timer driving a transistor. It doesn't do anything more than you could do by hand with a paper clip.

My Cars
    E30 325e, E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmoe View Post
    My service oil light and inspection lights came on. I change my own oil and dont really know why the inspection light came on.
    Inspection lights come on at intervals determined by car's computer. After you domaintenance you are supposed to reset them. As other mentioned, you can use paper clip method, just make sure you don't connect wrong pins and short something else. There is a danger that you can damage ecu. Also if you are not careful, you might get a nice shock - so if you'll use 'paper clip' method, at least use insulated wire (with ends stripped).

...so Im thinking of getting one of those code reader/reset tools from Peake Research. Does anyone have any experience with these... good or bad or should I just take it to the dealer.
    Peake tool will not tell you why service lights are on, but will read diagnostic fault codes. Those are associated with 'check engine light' which is different from service indicators lights. The tool can help you reset service lights as you mentioned. You can find Peake reset tool on ebay for about $120, and it's easy to use. However 'pedal stomp test' will do the same thing in reading fault codes - e30 dme motronic fault codes

My Cars
    86 911, 02 M3, 90 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    We don't have OBD-I on the m20. We have pre-OBD reporting.
    A special tool won't tell you more than the five-pedal-press reporting will -- the Peake tool is pretty much pointless.
    Sorry it didn't know it was pre-OBD. But I do disagree that it's pointless. It's been quite helpfull for me, since I'm color blind to some colors and can not see the flashing check engine light.

My Cars
    '07 V6 Accord, '07 AWD Charger
    When I put a new steering wheel in my E30 they couldn't re-set the Airbag light.

I ended up having a modified socket wired into the ECU by the airbag service people. It basically upgrades the plug and harness to the same as the 92 onward cars. You not only can re-set all the lights, but you can get more codes back from the system to know more about whatever is ailing your E30 and it works with the newer scanning software. It was $189.00 which many people will not want to pay. I though in the long run it would be worth it. In fact they plug a wireless transmitter into the car and the car talks to the computer in the shop with Bluetooth ... cool!

1990 325i Bronzit

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by igor325 View Post
    Also if you are not careful, you might get a nice shock - so if you'll use 'paper clip' method, at least use insulated wire (with ends stripped).
    You aren't going to get a shock from 12V. Voltages under 50V are generally considered safe for direct contact. The biggest danger is a (thermal) burn from an overheated wire.

My Cars
    1990 318t eurospec
    thanks for all your imput, I'm going to shop around and try and find one for a good deal. It's hard to find info about parts for my car, because its a 318t with a m40 engine from germany... but ill let you guys know how it goes. thanks.

My Cars
    07 Civic Si, 87 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by viaw View Post
    When I put a new steering wheel in my E30 they couldn't re-set the Airbag light.

I ended up having a modified socket wired into the ECU by the airbag service people. It basically upgrades the plug and harness to the same as the 92 onward cars. You not only can re-set all the lights, but you can get more codes back from the system to know more about whatever is ailing your E30 and it works with the newer scanning software. It was $189.00 which many people will not want to pay. I though in the long run it would be worth it. In fact they plug a wireless transmitter into the car and the car talks to the computer in the shop with Bluetooth ... cool!

Thats the nicest bronzit i have ever seen!

My Cars
    89 325i, 89 IROC, 65 comet
    Anybody know which 2 leads you jump using the paperclip method?

I wanna go fast!
    PSN ID: (SCU) IceStationZebra
    Gamebattles.com

My Cars
    1990 318t eurospec
    So, i ended up just getting access to a $5000 snap-on scanner and just reseting everything. So that was pretty fun to play around with... but no i didnt buy it, just borrowed.

My Cars
    1987 bmw 325e, 1983 bmw 320i
    wow 5 press peddle doohicky? anybody want to explain that to me a little more indepth?