Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your motor ticking? - check your spark plugs...

My Cars
    many...

Is your motor ticking? - check your spark plugs...

My wife's 97 540i recently started producing a loud ticking sound that appeared to come from the left side of the motor. I did several searches on this forum to find that the ticking sound is very common with these cars and aparently normal as well, so i didn't worry too much about it. But the car was also sputtering when taking off from a stop in first gear, and recently started throwing a CE light as well. The code ended up being random cylinder misfires, so after searching this forum for that as well (possible causes could be spark plugs fouled out by leaking valve cover gasket, bad coils, and even bad catalytic converters), so i decided to just check all the spark plugs first since that wouldn't cost me any money.

During the spark plug inspection, i found that two of them were REALLY loose (i could turn them 2 or 3 times with my finger tips before they seated into the head) and a few others could be broken loose really easily. I inspected and cleaned each plug, and made sure they were seated properly, and the car runs like a friggin hot rod now, and there is ABSOLUTELY no ticking sound coming from the motor anymore at all.

Check your plugs! Just thought i'd share.
    Chuck Brazeau
    www.BrazeauRacing.com

1995 BMW M3 | 2003 BMW 330i ZHP | 2002 Range Rover 4.6
    2008 Ducati 1098 | 2002 Ducati 748s | 2001 Ducati 900SSie | 2008 Honda CBR600RR | 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Thank you sir...
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    540i and a 92 eg hatch
    nicely said

My Cars
    540it, Z3
    thanks for the tip!

My Cars
    2000 540i 6speed
    You are a true gentleman & a scholar. Thank you for the tip.
    Got pics? Here are 500+ of the last meet in NJ --> http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1233956

2000 540i Titanium Silver on Black leather

Mods: Zionsville Radiator, electric fan, Magnaflow muffler, resonators deleted, UUC clutch with medium weight flywheel

You bought a BMW, it requires a level of taste that is above the gleaming masses that are drawn to a car with 22" logos on the side. Keep it refined.

My Cars
    99 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by T1TT910 View Post
    You are a true gentleman & a scholar. Thank you for the tip.

otheres said the same more or less, but this one made me chuckle, so it gets the +1

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Were they NGK's? I'm betting they weren't and I can't remember which brand they were but I just read a thread about spark plugs and there is a particular brand that is notorius for breaking loose and backing off (gotta find it again so I can avoid them). Good info...thanks for sharing!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    The ones that back-out I think are BOSCH !

Even scarier is that I have them in my 540 !........

They need to be swaped out asap
    Last edited by Alpina540i; 05-14-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina540i View Post
    They ones that back-out I think are BOSCH !

Even scarier is I have them in my 540 !........

Need to be swaped out asap
    avoid Bosch like the plague and this is my one thousandth post! Do I win something? An M-tech bumper kit would be stylin! Maybe a Euro-clear lighting package?

I crack myself up...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    many...
    Ding ding ding! They are Bosch Super Plus. I'm going to change them out when i replace the valve cover gaskets once the weather warms up a little.
    Chuck Brazeau
    www.BrazeauRacing.com

2008 Ducati 1098 | 2002 Ducati 748s | 2001 Ducati 900SSie | 2008 Honda CBR600RR | 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

My Cars
    99 540i6
    wow thats crazy... I always had problems with plugs backing out on my 240sx back in the day. I always used bosch, thought there were a good brand, never figured the problem was the plugs themselves.

My Cars
    2000 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
    otheres said the same more or less, but this one made me chuckle, so it gets the +1
    And thank you kind sir!
    Got pics? Here are 500+ of the last meet in NJ --> http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1233956

2000 540i Titanium Silver on Black leather

Mods: Zionsville Radiator, electric fan, Magnaflow muffler, resonators deleted, UUC clutch with medium weight flywheel

You bought a BMW, it requires a level of taste that is above the gleaming masses that are drawn to a car with 22" logos on the side. Keep it refined.

My Cars
    Jeep, merc wag
    this is fubar...

if a plug was loose enough to rattle it wouldn't match revs like the "typical ticking problem" that a lot of us have had which is sticky lifters...plus it really can't come out that far and find it hard to believe it could spin because of the boot and coil which is bolted down on top of it...

sorry to the OP but i'm not buying this one...

My Cars
    535xiT, 325iT, '07 L322
    the moral to the story:

spark plugs need to be in at least finger tight.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by BKphoto View Post
    this is fubar...

if a plug was loose enough to rattle it wouldn't match revs like the "typical ticking problem" that a lot of us have had which is sticky lifters...plus it really can't come out that far and find it hard to believe it could spin because of the boot and coil which is bolted down on top of it...

Well BK, would you agree that it could be possible that he was hearing the spark ignition cause the plugs were backed out enough to allow sound to escape? I'm a professional musician and know for a fact that it only takes a small gap to allow lots of sound to escape. Spark ignition makes a ticking sound from my experience (I used to tune/time all of my old cars by ear). Yes, you do have a point about the boot and coil but the plugs aren't welded to the plug boot and there is a LOT of vibration coming from these powerhouses. Also, from my research, it is a documented fact that the Bosch plugs are sensitive enough to temp changes and expand/contract more than enough to allow them to work loose over time. Yes, it could be something else (ticking is usually lifter noise from low grade fuel or carbon fouling but our cars have knock sensors, correct?), however, this is a troubleshooting mission and therefore should consider all possible options connected to the problem...agreed? BTW, this is by NO means a flaming post but merely a discussion to help resolve a problem someone is experiencing. No offense intended from my comments...thanks!

My Cars
    '97 540IA, '85 Landcruiser, '95 CR500

What's missing?

Don't the Bosch plugs have a compression, or crush washer on them? That seems odd. The only plug that ever came loose on me was on a Chevy Vortec head, they use a wedge type plug with no washer. And yes, I could hear the problem, that's why I went under the hood in the first place.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i/5
    good to know!

My Cars
    Jeep, merc wag
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Well BK, would you agree that it could be possible that he was hearing the spark ignition cause the plugs were backed out enough to allow sound to escape? I'm a professional musician and know for a fact that it only takes a small gap to allow lots of sound to escape. Spark ignition makes a ticking sound from my experience (I used to tune/time all of my old cars by ear). Yes, you do have a point about the boot and coil but the plugs aren't welded to the plug boot and there is a LOT of vibration coming from these powerhouses. Also, from my research, it is a documented fact that the Bosch plugs are sensitive enough to temp changes and expand/contract more than enough to allow them to work loose over time. Yes, it could be something else (ticking is usually lifter noise from low grade fuel or carbon fouling but our cars have knock sensors, correct?), however, this is a troubleshooting mission and therefore should consider all possible options connected to the problem...agreed? BTW, this is by NO means a flaming post but merely a discussion to help resolve a problem someone is experiencing. No offense intended from my comments...thanks!

none taken, its just a discussion...just never heard of this before and i've owned bimmers for a long time...isn't very logical...

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Coolness BK but premature cooling system failure, vibration at speed, dead pixels, etc. on high performance luxury cars isn't very logical either! LMAO

Peace...

EDIT: BTW, if I can find that article about the plugs, I'll post it here.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I found this on the tundra forum.

In this post, I don't think he had Bosch spark plugs in before since he mentions putting them in new. It looks like it isn't just Bosch plugs that work themselves loose.

I think this thread belongs in the FAQ.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 12-10-2007 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    many...
    this is fubar...
    just never heard of this before and i've owned bimmers for a long time...isn't very logical...
    LOL... you must be an expert then.

Believe what you want to believe, BKphoto. I'm not trying to spread propaganda or mis-information, i'm just giving MY experience. I'm not saying that loose spark plugs are the ONLY cause for the ticking problem with these cars. This just happened to be the cause of MY car's ticking problem and i thought i would share.

By the way, a loose spark plug was also the cause for a quiet knocking sound coming from the motor on my M3 several years ago. I searched and found several suggestions from other people that it may be caused by a loose spark plug. So i inspected the plugs, found one that was loose, tightened it back down, and the knocking sound went away.

This may or may not be the problem with someone else's car, but it's certainly worth checking yourself for free before taking your car to a shop and end up with a large bill.
    Chuck Brazeau
    www.BrazeauRacing.com

My Cars
    2003 M5 LeMans Blue
    what is the correct gap for NGK on the 530?

My Cars
    528i, 325i
    This has happened to me. Bosch plugs, one backed out a bit and was ticking loud as hell. Thought it was the chain tensioner, but a stethoscope proved that wrong. Took a mechanic a few days track it down, but he got it. Quiet ever since.

My Cars
    BMW 540I
    mine has a loud knocking sound more prodominant on the passenger side. I havent checked the plugs yet. I suppose I will do that this weekend

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Update:
    I was hearing a ticking sound on the driver side of my M62 that was getting worse by the week. My indy tech. told me he thought it was "lifter tick" and was nothing to worry about. I told him that it bothered me quite a bit until he said it would be close to 12 hours of labor ($80 per hour) to fix the problem. After that, the tick didn't bother me as much.
    I changed the type and viscocity of the oil I was using to see if that would quiet the ticking down but with no success.
    Anyway, I remembered reading this thread a while back and decided to check and see if this could be my problem as well.
    Today, I tightened the plugs on the driver side of the engine and the tick is GONE!
    I saved myself just under a grand.
    I have NGKs in right now and a couple of the plugs were just a tiny bit loose. Not enough for me to suspect them as the source of the ticking, but sure enough, they were making the offending sound.
    I'm so relieved that my engine will not be digesting metal shavings or throwing a rod!!!

Update: They weren't NGKs. They were Bosch.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 12-10-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast