Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real world M3 prices

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3

Real world M3 prices

This is a general question with a lot of gray so don't harp on needing specifics per car. But I ran into a E30 M3 at my local store and had to ask the gentleman, "want to sell her". He said ya make an offer. It has 110k original miles and is black on black with original paint and nothing touched. He acquired it from family ( maybe passed away, its been in storage for ten yrs he stated) but anyways I will go take a closer look tom but my question is what are REAL market values of these cars going for these days. I do not trust NADA or KBB with such an enthusiast car price so what are you guys seeing these cars go for in real life. With whatever made them fetch their price (i.e. condition, miles, project vs. daily) like i said this is a general question so I know what range to start from.

My Cars
    95 Euro M3
    if he doesnt know what he has, then you could lowball him and offer him 3k and see. Otherwise, 9 to 15k.

My Cars
    02 325xit & 88M3
    Pretty much the 15k rule aplies. If this is totally stock, with original panels, and history behind it, even 15 is a deal.

Also black on black is not all that common. Most black cars had tan interior, my own had cardinal red from factory.
    Last edited by todd black 88; 12-04-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: clarification

My Cars
    TBD
    I paid $21K early this year for a mint '88 zinno (red) on black. All matching VINs with full service history and 110K miles. Almost perfect paint (99.9%) and strong motor. The only thing it needed was new HT leads.

I am very happy the purchase and believe I got a decent deal (not fantastic but no buyers remorse).

There are people here that will say that more than 12K is a ripoff and others that will say a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

IMO a car with as much history, looks, character, feel, charm, and down right fun to drive - there's no better car on the market today within this budget.

Plus if you keep it clean and healthy it will, at worst, only retain its value. So it's not a depreciating asset like other vehicles.

My Cars
    1988 M3, 1995 325i 4
    believe it or not. Bluebook value on these cars are around 5k.

The reason why people are paying 10,15,25k for them is because of demand.
    IF I were you, and you thought he honestly didn't know much about the car, I would offer him like 6 thousand.

but of an enthusiast was selling it, i would say he would try and sell it for 16 000.
    88 Diamondschwarz M3 (In refit)
    97 Jetta GTD
    95 325i sport - For Sale
    LF: 24v Cummins Ram 4X4

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3
    well one of my first questions was are you an enthusiast? and he responded "no i drive it to work thats it"...I kind of paused and said well no do you have other BMW's and thats when he said no this one was in storage and a relatives. He had papers and wrappers in the car and a baby seat in the back. So I know what they fetch but I can play dumb and bring what a KBB says it's worth and see if he'll bite. I hate low balling and def am willing to pay what a car is worth but if its a matter of 10-15k I don't think my wallet or conscious would mind to much.... I plan on taking pictures and driving it tom I will post what i found.

My Cars
    Various junk
    Well, if he's not an enthusiast, you have the benefit of a person who you most likely aren't going to have to pry the keys away from and may not know the true value. The negative is that nonenthusiasts usually don't keep up with maintenance (only bothering with oil changes), or if they do, don't know about M3-specific issues. Or, you'll have a misinformed toolbag who knows juuust enough to be dangerous--that the car is worth something, but not enough to know why his price is too high. Ya know, the kind of guy who has an M3, but it needs 5K of work to bring it to tip top condition, yet is still asking 14K.

Most dealers don't know crap about the car, and most corner mechanics know how to do basic stuff like changing suspension components and wheel bearings, but engine related stuff--it's gonna be a crapshoot.

The 15K (or 18K or whatever forum people think) rule generally means, 15K is what you should budget to get a SOLID car. NO rust, if the mileage is >140K it has had its rod bearings replaced and timing system replaced. NOT that it has 35 coats of Souveran Wax on it.

For the timing chain system, the parts alone cost around $2K, never mind the labor required to service it. Subframe bushings are probably toast, shock absorbers are probably gone, etc. You may spend $4-5K getting it up to snuff, and untold hours combing the many resources to find out how or who to get to service the engine and suspension.

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3
    Yes the idea of his maintenance ignorance has been a thought but like I said with such a short encounter with him I will find out more tom. I know these cars are pricey for repairs but will be getting it in addition to my E30 325 so hopefully whatever it needs I can handle on my own minus some major things ( crossing fingers its not much). I told myself I don't "need" one of these but if I come across one I would def weigh it heavily. And if this wasn't BMW fate drivin by me today then it was a mean trick

My Cars
    Various junk
    Oh yeah, definitely, if you can get it for a decent price, do it!

My Cars
    88 M3(sold)
    OP, if you would like to PM me the guys number I would be glad to negotioate a fair price for me, I mean you. Also, what is the closest airport to fly into?
    Current

2006 Land Rover LR3
    1988 M3 Track Car

Past

88 M3
    99 M3
    91 325i
    00 328i
    71 2002
    92 325i

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    OUCH!!

But yes, since this sounds like it is not an enthusiasts and not someone who will properly maintain the car, go with KBB and NADA prices and see what he says. If he doesn't like it, inch up a couple of thousand at first, but take a little bit of time to think about that while walking around the car. If it was in storage for a while, then it probably isn't a maintenance timebomb, just has recently gotten out of storage and he is daily driving it. $6k or so will be plenty to go get a decent family car that a baby seat will FIT in. I can't even imagine trying to get one to fit in the buckets AND get the kid into it in the back of a M3.

As for what the car is worth really, by the sound of it I would say maybe $11k. 110K on the clock with good paint and I would hope good interior is about $10k. I would say another $1k for the black/black combo (in my mind). This is below the $15k mark since you do not (currently) know the maintenance history of the car. If you can get all the records and the car is in great condition mechanically, then it is worth more. But that is worth to an enthusiasts...
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3
    Last edited by DrLivingston; 12-05-2007 at 07:34 PM.

My Cars
    95 Euro M3
    did you make him an offer yet ?

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3
    no im going back because I guess he's a day trader and when I got there he was in the middle of doing stuff.... I didn't really get to get in the car and look around

My Cars
    TBD
    Just so you know - if anyone runs that VIN now their carfax account will be suspended pending investigation.

Don't ask for carfax stating the VIN it is against forum rules.

Atlanta: Come for the traffic, stay for the smog
    My Cars
    1995 M3, Avusblau Metallic
    I love E30 M3's.

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3
    Well he called me and apologized for gettin back so late so I scheduled a time tom to go look at er... I asked him just out of curiosity what ball park he was in with the price and he said.." I dont really like BMW's my brother in law was the original owner and moved overseas so i got it...." with that said him and I def in the same ballpark I'll post once it's mine

My Cars
    Der Kombi.
    I hate you. The only way you can change this is pictures of said M3 before and after you restore it to what it should be.

Consider yourself warned.

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3
    lol...it will be a fun project but more or less i won't sleep till it's in my garage...pics tom
    out of curiousity I went on M3 registry and found a lot of info, production numbers and such but is there anywhere they detailed how many colors were made in what yr with interior colors and so on.

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...

Buy it

I would buy it hard to find an unmolested one. Use it for a weekend toy and stop putting miles on it. Enjoy it for the history..

Go to S.14.net there is a thread about how rare they are...Its pretty sobering numbers..they are getting into the very rare category very fast...

One reason I am going to keep my91 and sell my much loved 95M3 turbo...
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3
    Well here she is, price is still being talked about but only cause it keeps goin lower lol....heres some pics, needs a LOT of energy to shine it back up and clean it out, the stuff in the trunk was unreal.....but 105,676 was on the odo.

My Cars
    2015 435i GC F36
    Looks to be in nice shape. Looks identical to mine Go for it! I hope you get a good deal.
    DnB and Techno Mixes here

My Cars
    1988 M3, 1995 325i 4
    not bad!! let us know what u get it for!!
    88 Diamondschwarz M3 (In refit)
    97 Jetta GTD
    95 325i sport - For Sale
    LF: 24v Cummins Ram 4X4

My Cars
    TBD
    Looks a little unkempt to me but if the price is right go for it. Mind you, I am comparing it to mine:

My Cars
    1988 E30 M3/ 1995 E36 M3
    I wont lie it needs a lot to get to be like yours is cosmetically BUT it's all there and is his daily....are those staggered series 5's on your M?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast