Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 325 at the 1/4 mile strip

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6

325 at the 1/4 mile strip

My 325 has been acting like the little 325 that could lately and beating cars it shouldn't at stop lights. So I decided to take it to the strip and get a rough idea of what's going on.

I went to Cecil County Dragway in Maryland, which is about an hour and half from DC. Elevation at the track is 320ft. I had stuff to do earlier in the day so I got there close to 2pm and the track closed at 4. I got some runs in. Like I said earlier, I was just trying to get a rough idea on the numbers so I can sort the car out over the winter and try to go for a good time when the strips reopen in the spring.

My alignment is off because my alignment bolt on the driver's rear is frozen, and my wheels are out of balance. I tried to get them balanced before going but I got to the shop after 12, and they take the last customers at 12 so they can close at 1pm. I also had junk, and stuff I bought earlier in the day in the car. I still decided to go anyway because all the strips were starting to close for the winter.

Got there, waited about 15mins and had a couple of practice runs. Then I put it through the paces. Since the car runs anywhere from 15.3 to 15.8 stock, I was hoping for a 14.9. I managed to run a couple of 14.6s and the best run was 14.61.

I did not do burn outs to warm up the tires, and I did not powershift. I lifted fully to shift because my clutch is suspect. I have Koseis on all season rubber.

Next spring, I'll have the car sorted out, at least get some summer tires, and powershift to see what the car will run when really pushed. Of course, I'll make sure to leave all the stuff in the car at home. If I had been there earlier, practiced more and had more runs, I feel I could have hit a 14.5 even in the car's current condition. What have you guys been running?

Mods that add power: Mark D, UUC pulleys, and fan delete. I don't have an intake etc. The other mods are mainly suspension and don't do anything for power. I did not adjust the tire pressures either. The fronts are 34 and the rears are 37 just like I normally run them on the street.

What have you guys been running?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Montague; 04-14-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Mods: stockish. 2980lbs. I need to lose more weight but can't give up my heated seats etc. Stock LSD FTW. 11/18/08: Need to reweigh with much lighter coilovers.

My Cars
    bimmer
    seem like good numbers to me, what mods do you have? and weight reduction?

My Cars
    uma E36 325 vermelho
    Wow! Those are nice runs for a 325! Great 0-60ft too!

I've run a 14.918 @ 93.22 at Capital Raceway in Bowie MD in my 325is. That was with a 2.3 0-60ft.
    What would Crockett and Tubbs do?

1994 E36 Hellrot/Black 325is
    2007 E92 Jet Black/Saddle Brown 335i

My Cars
    wrecked 325i, 318i no drivetrain, salvaged 325i
    what year is the 325? vanos or non-vanos?
    rebuilt 92 325i.... body kit, repaint, clears, koni SA, h&r sports, poly engine & tranny mounts, Powerflex LCA & RTABS, CAI, push button start.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    The local track is having an event on the 30th. I normally run the Corvette there during the summer. I think I am going to have to take the BMW just to see how it compares in time to the Corvette.

My Cars
    94 325 always in pieces
    Good time! i'll go to cecil county sometime next season, its like 20 - 30 mins from my house.

My Cars
    F150, E36 M3, 67 Fbird
    OK this does not add up. Stock the car (a 1993 since we don't know) was rated at a 15.8 1/4 mile. So here is an older car with really no mods and bad alignment (added drag), tires out of balance, a bad clutch and extra dead weight in the trunk running a full second faster than stock?????? Man so if you just fixed the problems you mention and warm the tires for a good launch what....13.9 - 14.0???? That is approaching 6 PSI FIA.

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    Like I said, I was hoping for a 14.9 and pulled a 14.6. In fact, I'll aim for 14.4 next spring.

Nbirru, it's a 92 non-vanos with 150k on it.

Full Mod List:
    -Mark D Chip with 7100 rev limit, 7200 fuel cutoff. It was custom made for me.
    -K&N drop in filter
    -ANSA exhaust, weighs 15lbs less than stock
    -Bavauto performance coils
    -UUC Underdrive Pulleys
    -Fan Delete
    -No spare tire
    -16' Kosei K1s weighing 14.5lbs each with 225/50/16W Kumho Ecsta ASX
    -Bilstein Shocks
    -H&R Springs
    -Sparco Strut bar
    -X-Brace
    -95 M3 offset bushings
    -96+ M3 strut bearings
    -JT design underpanel
    -Rieger Front Lip
    -RTABs with Ground Control shims
    -Brembo brake rotors
    -PBR metalic pads
    -New steering coupler
    -New RSM

I may be forgetting a couple of things but that's mostly it. All my traps were at the top of 3rd because I can hold 3rd to about 99mph so I only had to shift twice. Here's another slip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Montague; 04-14-2008 at 12:34 PM.
    Mods: stockish. 2980lbs. I need to lose more weight but can't give up my heated seats etc. Stock LSD FTW. 11/18/08: Need to reweigh with much lighter coilovers.

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas02E39 View Post
    OK this does not add up. Stock the car (a 1993 since we don't know) was rated at a 15.8 1/4 mile. So here is an older car with really no mods and bad alignment (added drag), tires out of balance, a bad clutch and extra dead weight in the trunk running a full second faster than stock?????? Man so if you just fixed the problems you mention and warm the tires for a good launch what....13.9 - 14.0???? That is approaching 6 PSI FIA.
    I don't know what to tell you. I'm just stating what happened. I had few things changed too, but used stock parts like the motor mounts, flex disks(guibo) etc. I plan to add intake, dinan throttle body, obdII exhaust manifold, and if I feel like wasting more money, schrick cams. I'll only have to buy one since this car already has the hot cams. I'm saving for the next generation 3 series believe it or not. I think they will make the current coupe look bad. I'm not adding gearing because, it will mean I'll have to shift one more time.
    Last edited by Montague; 12-03-2007 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    e30
    nice....very nice...i have somewhat the same mods except for the x brace and the pulleys....so i would probably run a 14.7-14.9

but i do have an intake and a heavier exhaust with a spare and some 17s so iono..!

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    I know some will flame me for putting money in a 92, but I do it b/c i enjoy it and like working on the car in the garage. There's an E39 540 that has not been touched. It's bone stock!

My Cars
    M3
    very nice times, the weight reduction, especially the wheels, is what did it for you.

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    Thanks guys. Of course, now I want to go lower...lol. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Hey what in the rear end? Gearing all of the differnce when drag racing.
    Those seem like great numbers to me! 14's are respectible numbers!

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by karlow View Post
    Hey what in the rear end? Gearing all of the differnce when drag racing.
    Those seem like great numbers to me! 14's are respectible numbers!
    Stock 3.15 LSD. I changed the diff fluid with Redline a few months ago at a forum member's shop. He let me use his lift and he had the diff tool. I changed the tranny fluid to Redline too. I want a 3.38 but that will mean I'll shift one more time in the 1/4.

My Cars
    '02 X5 4.4,'98 540i6 sport(sold), '97 m3 coupe

Lies!!!

Wow.. You're venturing in ///M territory.. Sorry, but your numbers just don't match up. Now remember, this is bimmerforums NOT mother fu**ing beenerforums. NO del sol's allowed!

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by MPOWER228 View Post
    Wow.. You're venturing in ///M territory.. Sorry, but your numbers just don't match up. Now remember, this is bimmerforums NOT mother fu**ing beenerforums. NO del sol's allowed!

thats funny....14.6 is def m territory....im curious to see what i would run...i agree with the previous member and the wheel comment....16s def helped

My Cars
    The Three and the Two
    Which mods made the most difference in acceleration? I was under the impress the stock exhaust and intake were fairly well designed. I can see 10-15 hp from the chip, but I still don't see how that puts you in the high 14's.
    BMWe

1976 BMW 2002
    1995 BMW 325i Saloon

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by QUART3R View Post
    thats funny....14.6 is def m territory....
    ive seen stock M3's run 13.9-14.3 range with a good driver

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohtwo View Post
    Which mods made the most difference in acceleration? I was under the impress the stock exhaust and intake were fairly well designed. I can see 10-15 hp from the chip, but I still don't see how that puts you in the high 14's.
    I think everything collectively worked together for the runs. The biggest difference as some have noted, are the wheels. You're right, the intake and exhaust seem fine for the car as it is. I broke off the restrictive intake protector behind the grill and in front of the suction tube, part #11 here. Note, I did not take off part number 11, I only broke off the cover between the grill and #11 to allow air to flow freely. It helps to prevent water ingestion and other stuff, but in its function it restricts air flowing into the stock intake. This has been recommended by Conforti. In order for an after market intake to be optimally effective, you'll have to increase the size of the throttle body to let in the extra air and then add an obdII exhaust manifold so the engine can also breath out what it breaths in. That will give the best gain.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=13&fg=20

The light wheels enabled good 60's off the line because the unsprung weight is greatly reduced and the rolling resistance is also reduced. This is a factor not only off the line but during the run. The second big factor is the rev limit. Most cars will have to shift three times in a 1/4 mile run but I had to shift twice, and then hold 3rd gear to the end. Shifting will consume probably about .3-.5secs on average.
    Last edited by Montague; 12-04-2007 at 11:24 AM.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Montague View Post
    I know some will flame me for putting money in a 92, but I do it b/c i enjoy it and like working on the car in the garage. There's an E39 540 that has not been touched. It's bone stock!

why flame.....i drive a 92 (98000 miles) non vanos all the way

My Cars
    Non Vanos
    Yea i agree, why flame? i rock a non vanos and i will tell ya what, this gave me some desire to take it to the strip. i beat some cars i really have no right walking on. Hell yea Non Vanos!
    Four Door Maffia #53
    Power is nothing without control

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    I say that because there are some who don't think people should put money into an older car. Vanos or nonvanos. When I took off my valve cover to change the gasket, the cams and other parts looked mint! It was unbelievable. As long as it's running well, I believe a car should be maintained in top form.

My Cars
    98 Buick Regal :(
    Seriously, I love it when the non vanos cars are faster than everyone expects them to be. I can't wait till this spring when I get to test mine at the track!

My Cars
    02 330i/5, 95 325i/5
    ud smoke me probably
    AC Schnitzer Catback, TMS Chip, 3.38 LSD, ECIS Intake, UUC short shifter, H&R Sports, Bilstiens, Brembos, 8000k HID Prolumen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast