Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steptronic Transmission Breakdown

My Cars
    2000 bmw 323ci

Steptronic Transmission Breakdown

A week ago I stopped at my local Walgreens to pick up a few items and after returning to my car I put it in reverse....and nothing. I have read all the horror stories on here about these transmissions but now I know first hand how it feels to be part of that group. I went to google and typed in this problem and there are so many people who are in the same boat. I am not sure, but could there be a class action lawsuit against BMW for this issue? These transmissions are faulty and should be recalled if so many of the same problem arises over and over. By the way, I have a 2000 323ci with 97,000 miles on it. The car has always been highly maintained....Anyway, I will get the car back from a independent Transmission shop this friday.

My Cars
    2002 330xi
    That sucks. It seems likely that the step will fail before 150K. How much do you think it will cost? Most numbers I see are 3-5K.

My Cars
    88 M5, 528e, 87 535is
    How often were you changing the tranny fluid and filter? You should have done your 3rd one at 90k, if you wanted it to last much longer than 100k. Sorry, but that's about the lifespan of unmaintained automatics. Live and learn for your next one.
    David

My Cars
    Audi A4 Quattro, E36 ///M3 4dr
    as far as i know the bmw auto trannies dont need fluid changing. Its a sealed unit.
    When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

My Cars
    2001 330xi
    bmw's step trans. is good for about 100k miles before you need new filters/fluid. Yes it is a sealed transmission and yes bmw calles it "lifetime" but they are referring to the lifetime of the Warrany. - consider yourself lucky you dont have the xi step. It's even more to replace! yikes

My Cars
    04' 330 xi, 03' Acura Mdx, 98' Integra Gsr
    seeing as how i just bought a xi with step less than a month ago can i be filled in here? ill do own search but a more direct responce would be appreciated. 2004 330xi 46k miles i bought the exteneded warrenty till 2010 or 100,000 miles? what can or should i espect from this?

My Cars
    88 M5, 528e, 87 535is
    technically, BMW states it's lifetime fluid is good for the lifetime of the transmission. unchanged, this will be 100-150k miles, just like every other car on the planet. the only debatable point is if it's worth spending money to change the fluid to get another 50-100k out of it.

well documented, well discussed, proven over time. look at classified ads for mercedes and bmw over 130k miles. how many have "new transmission" or "needs transmission"?

i always expect to put a tranny in a car at 100k, especially if i'm buying used and don't have service records showing fluid changes.

i understand that for many on this board these cars are your first and you missed the days of car maintenance (not long ago), but you'll learn over the next 10 yrs what to believe.

if you want a car to last use this, cuz you'll have enough problems fixing all of the electric crap on newer cars:
    30k/2yrs: brake, tranny, diff, coolant fluid changes
    3k miles: dino engine oil
    5k miles: full synthetic engine oil
    belts and coolant hoses: 4yr/60k
    rubber fuel lines and rubber brake lines: 8yrs

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    It's a transmission...they break, and the car is eight years old now. Things are going to begin to break. The solution is a new transmission.

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by GForce330xi View Post
    seeing as how i just bought a xi with step less than a month ago can i be filled in here? ill do own search but a more direct responce would be appreciated. 2004 330xi 46k miles i bought the exteneded warrenty till 2010 or 100,000 miles? what can or should i espect from this?

you're good, they stopped using the GM SMG in 2002

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
    technically, BMW states it's lifetime fluid is good for the lifetime of the transmission. unchanged, this will be 100-150k miles, just like every other car on the planet. the only debatable point is if it's worth spending money to change the fluid to get another 50-100k out of it.

well documented, well discussed, proven over time. look at classified ads for mercedes and bmw over 130k miles. how many have "new transmission" or "needs transmission"?

i always expect to put a tranny in a car at 100k, especially if i'm buying used and don't have service records showing fluid changes.

i understand that for many on this board these cars are your first and you missed the days of car maintenance (not long ago), but you'll learn over the next 10 yrs what to believe.

if you want a car to last use this, cuz you'll have enough problems fixing all of the electric crap on newer cars:
    30k/2yrs: brake, tranny, diff, coolant fluid changes
    3k miles: dino engine oil
    5k miles: full synthetic engine oil
    belts and coolant hoses: 4yr/60k
    rubber fuel lines and rubber brake lines: 8yrs

amen I've owned 7 cars prior to the bimmer, and all of them are well past the 150k mark... We have it soooo easy when it comes to our cars... If you maintain it, the cost is minimal, but a poorly maintaned car will run you double what your car note is per month in repairs... Trust me, I've paid for the mistakes of other owners...

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial Z32 View Post
    you're good, they stopped using the GM SMG in 2002
    i have an 02 with GM
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

My Cars
    04' 330 xi, 03' Acura Mdx, 98' Integra Gsr
    thx for the reply.

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jhott66 View Post
    The failure issues are with the ZF transmissions...
    Not the GM transmissions...

O Rly!?

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    GM = General Motors, they where making trannies for bmw.(i think 02 was the last year they used GM)
    SMG = it a manual tranny (with clutch) but not clutch pedal. computer would control the clutch. it was used on many m3 few 3-series. (it is still used as of today that i know of.)

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SMILEZ View Post
    GM = General Motors, they where making trannies for bmw.(i think 02 was the last year they used GM)
    SMG = it a manual tranny (with clutch) but not clutch pedal. computer would control the clutch. it was used on many m3 few 3-series. (it is still used as of today that i know of.)

SMILEZ = Ray Ray

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    The failure issues are with the ZF transmissions...
    Not the GM transmissions...
    i've heard other wise since only 330 came with ZF until 03 so i read.

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial Z32 View Post
    SMILEZ = Ray Ray

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    Yes
    Lots of people have "heard" things.
    The mis-info on the thread, and about this subject on this board, is downright scary...

My Cars
    330i
    Hmmmm...

I've got a 2003 330i (11/02 production date) with the Steptronic and 48K.

Would mine have been made by GM as well?

No problems at 48K and I've never changed the tranny fluids. Was told by BMW that it's a lifetimething too.

Should I do anythingat this point to increase the life of the transmission?

Based on average driving in a city, how many miles do you think this tranny will go?

Is it worth having the fluids changed now or is it too late?

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Lots of people have "heard" things.
    The mis-info on the thread, and about this subject on this board, is downright scary...

maybe if your so concerned. Then search on google. O yea i forgot. Google doesn't help anyone when it comes to these subjects.........

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    323i 944
    These transmissions are going bad by the hundreds. They have a defective part in them. Changing the fluid will not correct the no-reverse problem. Changing the defective part with the newer better made part will correct the problem. The problem is the repair will cost 2000+ and BMW will not do the repair. See the post I made about reporting the problem to the consumer affairs website and the noreverse website.

If you want to see a picture of the poorly made part goto the noreverse.org website.

And to all of you that have not had a problem and have 200K on your car that is wonderful, but that doesn't help the many 50K people that have.

My Cars
    '02.5 M3 SMG, '00 Yamaha R6
    oh ok...so my 2002.5 M3 SMG has a GM made transmission???? grrrreat

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftcoastM3 View Post
    oh ok...so my 2002.5 M3 SMG has a GM made transmission???? grrrreat
    that i know of , you have a completely different transmission.

the ones that fail are automatics. you have a manual transmission even though you have no clutch pedal.

My Cars
    318i E46
    the dealer refused to change mine :S and said lifetime :S

My Cars
    330i
    So wait, am I affected? - do I have a GM tranny thats gonna blow at 50K?

2003 330i auto steptronic.

Production date was 11/2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast