Thread: Misfiring and CEL blinking

My Cars
    97 540i/6 s/c VFE

Misfiring and CEL blinking

Hey guys... tonight I ran my car pretty hard against a blue EVO with a couple bolt-ons and pulled about two car lengths by the end of 4th gear. Then all of a sudden my CEL is blinking for about 20 sec. I have always had my CEL on eversince I got it back from VFE which was about two years ago. During the pull in 3rd at about 5k RPM I feel like this extra pull (kind of like V-TEC) to redline. I have not checked the codes yet. Any ideas of what it could be?

My Cars
    95 325i CL500
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    Hey guys... tonight I ran my car pretty hard against a blue EVO with a couple bolt-ons and pulled about two car lengths by the end of 4th gear. Then all of a sudden my CEL is blinking for about 20 sec. I have always had my CEL on eversince I got it back from VFE which was about two years ago. During the pull in 3rd at about 5k RPM I feel like this extra pull (kind of like V-TEC) to redline. I have not checked the codes yet. Any ideas of what it could be?
    First off...V-Tec, let go of the Honda scene.
    Second, I hope you weren't racing on public roads.
    Third, how can you run your car with the CEL on for so long?

Are you sure BMW's for you?

My Cars
    97 540i/6 s/c VFE
    ^^^ I'm guessing you didn't get laid last night.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    a blinking CEL is bad. That much I know. Maybe low oil pressure? Get the codes read. If it were my car I'd buy a reader and would bring it to the car, I would not run the engine anymore until I knew what was wrong.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i M-Sport, 1990 VW Corrado G60
    Well, this might seem too simple, but right int the owners manual it says that the CEL will come on with a misfire, but will blink if there is a serious misfire. So I would think that the misfiring is what is causing the CEL.

My Cars
    97 540i/6 s/c VFE
    Got codes P:1174- Cam control fault (Bank 1)
    P: 1175- Cam sensor fault
    P:0307- Cylinder 7 misfire

Anyone have a diagram of where these are located so I can resolve this problem? Also is it a DIY? Thanks

My Cars
    m52 powered
    sounds like a cam position sensor failed, typical problem. figure out which side of the engine cylinder 7 is on, replace the sensor on that side and reset the light, should be good to go.

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    Got codes P:1174- Cam control fault (Bank 1)
    P: 1175- Cam sensor fault
    P:0307- Cylinder 7 misfire

Anyone have a diagram of where these are located so I can resolve this problem? Also is it a DIY? Thanks
    pre vanos m62 has only one cps which is located on the upper timing cover of bank1(right side head). #10 in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=11&fg=10

My Cars
    02 M5

Sounds like a CPS

Mine had similar symptoms when mine went. I was on the way to work when the CEL blinked a few times, the car misfired badly, and I had to limp into a parking lot. Luckily, I keep my Peake tool in the glovebox, so I read the codes and got similar ones to what you have. I reset the light, and all was well for a week or two. FF a week or two, and the same exact thing happens, so I limp into the same parking lot to read and reset. I changed the camshaft pos sensor that night, and it hasn't happened again. Easy DIY, its right on the front of the engine, and about $120 or so for the part.

Good luck.