Thread: Update on E46 Window Regulator zip tie mod.

My Cars
    Subaru WRX

Update on E46 Window Regulator zip tie mod.

This is just an update thread, I am putting it here because I know this is a heavily searched topic.

I have some new info regarding the E46 window regulator zip tie mod.

New Info: On 4 door E46s, you CAN zip tie fix the front window regulators if they have not come unwound on the spool. That can save you $100 in parts, and you have NO excuse not to DIY this one.

HOWEVER: You cannot apply the zip tie fix to the rear window regulators due to their design.

So, if you notice a clicking or failing regulator, plan to try the zip tie fix if its a front window AND if you can still move the window up and down under its own power (at that point you would hear a clicking sound, which indicates a regulator assembly that is cracked and about to really fail).

If its the rear window that is acting up, just order a new regulator asap, since there is no zip tie fix.

And if any of you read this...before you ask me a hundred questions about this, please search. You will find everything you need to know about this topic in 15 minutes of searching this site. I also recommend searching at E46fanatics.com and bimmerdiy.com

However, after *exhaustive* searching here and at the two sites I just mentioned, nowhere does it clarify that the zip tie mod works for the FRONT ONLY.

Laterz.

My Cars
    '02 325Ci & '06 Raven R1
    hey buddy

My Cars
    Subaru WRX
    Hey man....good to see you are still around.

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    nice

My Cars
    '02 325Ci & '06 Raven R1
    yep i appear on a timely basis

My Cars
    Pre-lift e46
    I had the ziptoe fix on my front for 9 months. My regulator ended up fully failing, but the ziptie is definately a good fix and sometimes will last years.

My Cars
    Subaru WRX
    I have already zip tied the regulator that I will install in my front...so I figure that it should last a long freaking time, since its new AND already has the zip tie enhancement.