Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: faded paint restore.

My Cars
    97 840c & 540I6 90 535im

faded paint restore.

I just picked up an 88 635 Zinnberoot (SP) Red and the rear bumper bellows and the hood are a lighter shade than the rest of the body. What do you guys suggest as a course of action to restore the paint? I went all over the detail forum and they talk all about power this and that but couldnot find an answer to my question.Thanks Bluesman
    97 840ci-99 540i6-90 535i5 all black

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    If you are serious about bringing the best out of good but oxidized paint, contact Dave Crawford at Glosshaus:

Glosshaus link

Dave is a super nice guy and is quite familiar with e24 paint. Highly recommended.

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    '83 633csi
    i wish i could do that to wolfie, but im in the missing clearcoat category. Give it a shot, wont be as expensive as a new respray for sure.

-Jeff
    1983 633csi a.k.a. Wolfie - M30B35 Swap - Getrag 265 - 3.73LSD

My Cars
    Looking
    hey same here!!
    Currently looking for e24. PM me if you see anything interesting.

Also, looking for my old car. Sold it in 2014 to someone in Northern CA. He sold it shortly thereafter and doesn't remember to who. It was a bronzit '85 euro, lowered, headlight wipers/washers (that worked!), rear black spoiler, 5 speed, nutria interior (however i removed original buffalo leather interior and replaced with manual sport seats (front and rear).

My Cars
    1980 635 Csi Euro, 87 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by jmenacker View Post
    If you are serious about bringing the best out of good but oxidized paint, contact Dave Crawford at Glosshaus:

Glosshaus link

Dave is a super nice guy and is quite familiar with e24 paint. Highly recommended.

Joe M in WV
    I agree!! Dave is a great guy to work with and he has outstanding products.
    George My Gallery

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    Quote Originally Posted by sixseries View Post
    hey same here!!
    Clearcoat on my son's '87 Bronzit looked like it had been in several sand storms. The glosshaus kit did help a lot (looks good from 10 feet away instead of 25 feet away) but once the clearcoat has failed there's nothing to be done other than strip and respray.

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by jmenacker View Post
    Clearcoat on my son's '87 Bronzit looked like it had been in several sand storms. The glosshaus kit did help a lot (looks good from 10 feet away instead of 25 feet away) but once the clearcoat has failed there's nothing to be done other than strip and respray.

Joe M in WV
    mines a bronzit too!! with some the paint completely gone on the top. the top and trunk are quite terrible and the hoods not that bad. so im thinking of getting a cheaper paint job on just the top and trunk cuz i dont have the money for a full respray. anyone think that this is a good idea??

thanks
    Brad

Also, looking for my old car. Sold it in 2014 to someone in Northern CA. He sold it shortly thereafter and doesn't remember to who. It was a bronzit '85 euro, lowered, headlight wipers/washers (that worked!), rear black spoiler, 5 speed, nutria interior (however i removed original buffalo leather interior and replaced with manual sport seats (front and rear).

My Cars
    Looking
    i also love those wheels on ur sons bronzit. what kind are those??

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    i also love those wheels on ur sons bronzit. what kind are those??
    His wheels are OZ Fittipaldi style with chrome finish. They need to be rechromed but are fine for a daily driver.

It is probably better to save up for a complete respray on the paint. Going cheap is not a recipe for satisfactory results. Going cheap on a partial paint job would likely take a miracle to end up with anything resembling a respectable finish.

Keep the car as clean as possible with plenty of wax to prevent further deterioration. I had good luck with Maaco on a single stage paint job.

$2K Maaco paint job.

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    '83 633csi
    i didnt realize how high the 6er is on stock suspension, almost looks like the 87 is sitting higher than normal though. nice wheels, i think theyd look great in a stock BMW finish, im just not big on chrome except on the bumpers!

-Jeff

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    Quote Originally Posted by jbd5015 View Post
    i didnt realize how high the 6er is on stock suspension, almost looks like the 87 is sitting higher than normal though. nice wheels, i think theyd look great in a stock BMW finish, im just not big on chrome except on the bumpers!

-Jeff

The second pic posted was shortly after we got the car with stock springs/shocks. The earlier pic is with Bilstiens and ST springs.

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    '83 633csi
    ah yes...i see the difference. these cars definitely look great with a modest lowering. really helps the stance.

can your son make it up this weekend?

-Jeff

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    Quote Originally Posted by jbd5015 View Post

can your son make it up this weekend?

-Jeff
    Mike will be holding down the fort at home. He usually works weekends for gas/discretionary spending money and is currenntly recovering (both financially and mentally) from a new component-built computer for his gaming addiction .

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    97 840c & 540I6 90 535im
    as for my cinnabar red paint job. I don't know what I did in my previous life but I am one lucky guy. I hit the trunk first with Maguires cleaner wax (by hand) and presto could see myself. Now the whole car looks great, can't wait to see it after the clay bar treatment I will be doing on it next.Thanks for the help guys.You guys rock.

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Not all cars were clear coated, I think some colors only came in the single stage paint?

My Cars
    1980 635 Csi Euro, 87 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by CW6er View Post
    Not all cars were clear coated, I think some colors only came in the single stage paint?
    True! My black 87 M6 has no clear coat while my 80 Euro Cypress Green has clear coat. I think I read somewhere that the metallic colors were all clear coated while base colors were not.
    George My Gallery

My Cars
    Looking
    yeah it is very unfortunate. it was an option however for base colors. mine was oringinally scheduled to get a clear coat after being prduced but then that option got deleted. and its very evident today

My Cars
    B9 coupe and B9 sedan
    yeah it is very unfortunate. it was an option however for base colors. mine was oringinally scheduled to get a clear coat after being prduced but then that option got deleted. and its very evident today

My 86 Bronzit car was clearcoated and when I was buying paint for the spoiler, it was noted that all BMW metallics were B/C. It was also noted when I was buying Alpinweiss for my 85 that all solids were single stage during this period.

I have never heard of a clearcoat option from the factory but part of the option cost for the metallics was due to the required clearcoat. Are you sure yours was not repainted at some point with a single stage metallic?

My Cars
    B9 coupe and B9 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    as for my cinnabar red paint job. I don't know what I did in my previous life but I am one lucky guy. I hit the trunk first with Maguires cleaner wax (by hand) and presto could see myself. Now the whole car looks great, can't wait to see it after the clay bar treatment I will be doing on it next.Thanks for the help guys.You guys rock.
    Pictures are required!!!

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinacsi View Post
    My 86 Bronzit car was clearcoated and when I was buying paint for the spoiler, it was noted that all BMW metallics were B/C. It was also noted when I was buying Alpinweiss for my 85 that all solids were single stage during this period.

I have never heard of a clearcoat option from the factory but part of the option cost for the metallics was due to the required clearcoat. Are you sure yours was not repainted at some point with a single stage metallic?
    Quote Originally Posted by JayM
    Quote Originally Posted by sixseries
    hey its 1275087. good luck.

Brad
    Here it is (your car was loaded):
    Type Value
    VIN WBAEC510701275087
    Type code 5351
    Type 635 CSI (ECE)
    E series E24 ()
    Series*, 6
    Type, COUPE
    Steering, LL
    Doors, 2
    Engine, M30
    Displacement, 3.50
    Power, 0
    Drive, HECK
    Transmission, MECH
    Colour, BRONZITBEIGE METALLIC (139)
    Upholstery, BUFFALO-NUTRIA LEDER (0181)
    Prod.date, 1985-04-01

Code Description (interface)
    S209A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (25%)
    S314A HEATED WINDSCREEN WASHER NOZZLES
    S401A SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC
    S458A SEAT ADJUSTMENT, ELECTRIC. F DRIVER/PASS
    S500A HEADLIGHT WASHER SYS/INTENSIVE CLEANING
    S530A AIR CONDITIONING
    S540A CRUISE CONTROL
    S669A Becker Mexico Elec. CR Saf.
    S682A RADIOANTENNE AUTOMATISCH
    S915A nur Boden konserviert

The S915A option is the deletion of a paint protection option.

You got a great buy!

thats my build sheet. i guess its bronzit metallic paint but the option S195A option for im guessing clearcoat got deleted. not fair

My Cars
    B9 coupe and B9 sedan
    That paint protection option is not the clear coat. I believe that was a polymer sealer that was applied as just a protector. Almost like a floor wax. I think that people were selling these aftermarket at that time and saying you would not have to wax the car for 5 years.

I could be wrong but I would still say it has clear coat.

My Cars
    '84 633csi, grey w/ beige interior
    Isn't single-stage paint actually more restorable than B/C? My understanding is that once your clearcoat is shot, it's shot. On the other hand, you can usually use buffing compound (a mild abrasive) to take the oxidized layer off of single-stage paint.

To go a little further, I've been told that clearcoat is actually an inferior method that the auto industry was basically forced to adopt because of environmental regulations. Back in the day, they used certain solvents that let the paint dry down really smooth and glossy. But those solvents were banned (or their use was made prohibitively expensive), so they had to start using clearcoat to get the right gloss.

My Cars
    B9 coupe and B9 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by HayekFan View Post
    Isn't single-stage paint actually more restorable than B/C? My understanding is that once your clearcoat is shot, it's shot. On the other hand, you can usually use buffing compound (a mild abrasive) to take the oxidized layer off of single-stage paint.

To go a little further, I've been told that clearcoat is actually an inferior method that the auto industry was basically forced to adopt because of environmental regulations. Back in the day, they used certain solvents that let the paint dry down really smooth and glossy. But those solvents were banned (or their use was made prohibitively expensive), so they had to start using clearcoat to get the right gloss.
    I perfer not to have the clear coat on a solid color as you can restore the paint. Instead of having 2 thin coats of color and multiple coats of clear it is all color. I was only able salavage the original paint on the Alpina because it was solid single stage.

To get the depth in the metalics, it was necessary to apply a top coat of clear. Compare the depth of a single stage metallic to that of the B/C. Although the single stage metallics have come a long way, I prefer B/C for them. If "sixseries" has single stage metallic without clear, then it should be able to be wetsanded to remove the oxidized paint and leave a nice prevously unexposed layer visable. The problem is that the clear starts breaking down and will/can loose its bond to the thin layers of color. At this point, the only option is to sand and repaint.

My Cars
    1980 635 Csi Euro, 87 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinacsi View Post
    I perfer not to have the clear coat on a solid color as you can restore the paint. Instead of having 2 thin coats of color and multiple coats of clear it is all color. I was only able salavage the original paint on the Alpina because it was solid single stage.

To get the depth in the metalics, it was necessary to apply a top coat of clear. Compare the depth of a single stage metallic to that of the B/C. Although the single stage metallics have come a long way, I prefer B/C for them. If "sixseries" has single stage metallic without clear, then it should be able to be wetsanded to remove the oxidized paint and leave a nice prevously unexposed layer visable. The problem is that the clear starts breaking down and will/can loose its bond to the thin layers of color. At this point, the only option is to sand and repaint.
    I agree with you about no clear coat on basic colors. If my black car had clear coat I would not have been able to buff out the blemishes. BMW has been clear coating since at least 1977 as my brand new BMW 320i had to have the roof clear coat warranted after less than 6 months in the Arizona sun. It started to peal, pretty ugly site on a new BMW.
    George My Gallery

My Cars
    97 840c & 540I6 90 535im
    How do you get a copy of your build code?
    Thanks
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast