Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M42 Coil On Plug conversion brackets

My Cars
    1991 318is, 1982 toyota corolla vert

M42 Coil On Plug conversion brackets

Coil On Plug Brackets for sale!

I am selling Coil On Plug conversion brackets and hardware for the m42 motor (I know they fit the e30 m42 but I do not know about the e36 or any m44 but I would expect that it would fit).

The brackets are designed to replace the stock coilpacks with coils from the E46. the coils use the same plugs and need no modification to the ECU.

M42club threads regarding the conversion:

http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965
    http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3698

Details on the coils needed

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...& hg=12&fg=05
    that is the REALOEM link to the coils with the part numbers
    they are from the e46 and they all appear to be the same.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...1.x=0&I1.y =0
    here is pelican part's listing for the coils

FAP99.com has the Bremi ones for $44.87 each brand new

You can also pick up used ones from e46 owners who upgraded for $10-25 each

high performance replacements are available as well through most BMW performance parts dealers

part number is 12131748018

Prices

The bracket is $70

Shipping is $5

Hardware kit is $7
    it includes:
    8 M6X1 cap screws
    2 60 mm M6X1 studs
    4 M6X1 bolts
    4 6mm washers

BTW I stopped by my local hardware store and just the cap screws would cost about $7 if you bought them individually, and they didn’t even have studs.

so for the totals, $75 for a bracket shipped, and $82 for a bracket plus all the hardware. Or if you would like, $12 for just the hardware.

here are some pictures of the completed brackets, if you would like pictures of something more specific, let me know

this is the hardware included in the hardware kit

pictures of the brackets

*note the bracket that has the coils mounted on it has been polished and the ones that are being sold are not polished like the one that does not have coils mounted on it.
    besides the finish they are identical

I can ship out brackets as soon as I get the money, so give me a PM!
    Payment will be through Paypal, I will give you my Paypal address in a PM.

Cliffnotes: $82 shipped for bracket and hardware, effectively everything you need minus the coils themselves

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    doug
    i just bought this kit from you & i finally took a lot at the ignition coil pack on my e36 '95 318i. the e36 ignition coil is a 1 unit (unlike the e30 where the ignition coil packs are individual coils) like shown in the pic here:

the connection to this is a twist on plug (kinda like the afm plug).
    so for e36, the coil harness will have to be sourced also. i'm going to see if i can buy this harness from either a e36 325 or m3. i hope the connector on the coil harness will be the same as the one that's currently on my coil pack.

95 alpine white 318iC - my 1st bimmer!!! now even better w/ dasc, tokico illuminas, h&r sport springs, new wheels, new top & hid...just a few of the sunk costs in this money pit!!!
    88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj
    and a few more project cars!!!

My Cars
    are there 12 wires in the bundle? I would think you could snag the plugs from someone parting out a car or a junkyard for real cheap, and you will need to trim the harness anyway so it really won't be any additional work. I dont know what cars besides the e30 318is and the e46 use them but I would expect them to be pretty common.

Thanks for the info, I don't have an e36 so I had no idea how they were hooked up.

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    no, the harness only has 5 wires (as i remembered it). so 4 signal wires & 1 common wire.
    yeah i just posted asking what the wiring harness for e36 325 & m3 looks like. hopefully someone will respond back w/ some pics of the harness.

95 alpine white 318iC - my 1st bimmer!!! now even better w/ dasc, tokico illuminas, h&r sport springs, new wheels, new top & hid...just a few of the sunk costs in this money pit!!!
    88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj

My Cars

My Cars

My Cars

My Cars
    BMWs galore
    How long will you be making these for? I will only be able to purchase a set in January.

My Cars
    I can make them as long as there is demand.
    I should have them in January no problem.

I just made a new batch.

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    hey just a quick bump & update since i finally got mine installed yesterday. i'll update w/ pics when i get a chance. the part is nice w/ all holes lined up w/out a problem. the car seems to idle slightly better than before...prob because the original wires have 107k on them.
    i have a 95 which has the 96+ coil pack so i had to modify the wiring to make it work. i had to buy a harness like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...2em118Q2el1247

i had to splice this harness to the current coil pack harness. ofcourse the other thing i had to buy are the coils themselves. i bought a used set of 5 coils from a 5 series on ebay. also the most front one (cyl #1) i had to shorten the retention arm due to lack of space (you can see it in the valve cover w/ coils pic above in the original post...the bottom left arm of left coil). also instead of using the whole threaded rod the op is selling, i used only part of it. i actually welded onto the top of the valve cover bolt. this way i retain the original bolt w/ washers/rubber grommets, etc. this worked out great.
    pm me if anyone has any questions...thanks again for a great product!!!

88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj

My Cars
    Glad to hear someone installed it on an e36 m42.

Good work and thanks for the support!

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    Here's a pic of my conversion. you can see the harness connector i used to join the e46 coil harness to the e36 harness. i got the connectors from my friend who works for a wire harness supplier...but you can just splice the 2 harness directly to each other w/out a connector (but i like it this way so i can always go backwards if i decide to go back to the old setup) or you can buy connectors at summitracing or jegs.

88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj

My Cars
    E36 Panda Club#1
    interested like crazy

still available please PM me

My Cars
    E36 Panda Club#1
    Quote Originally Posted by red97tj View Post
    Here's a pic of my conversion. you can see the harness connector i used to join the e46 coil harness to the e36 harness. i got the connectors from my friend who works for a wire harness supplier...but you can just splice the 2 harness directly to each other w/out a connector (but i like it this way so i can always go backwards if i decide to go back to the old setup) or you can buy connectors at summitracing or jegs.
    will it be different on a 94

My Cars

My Cars
    '91 Schwarz 318i
    This is something i definitely want to do....so what your saying is I would have no need for ignition wires? Since these coils are mounted directly onto the plug, right? Just extending the wires to the coils themselves....how would I go about doing this? Do I have to cut and splice anything? What is the length of time required for doing this? and last but not least, Is there any noticeable gain from this? besides saving money on wires.
    Real skill comes from whether or not you come out of the corner in 1 piece.
    Anyone can stomp the throttle and go in a straight line.

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    see my post #12 above...but ofcourse it's for 95 m42. i don't know if your 91 m42 is the same setup w/ the big coil packs or single coil packs.
    really no noticeable gains on power except no more spending money on plug wires.

88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz318i View Post
    This is something i definitely want to do....so what your saying is I would have no need for ignition wires? Since these coils are mounted directly onto the plug, right? Just extending the wires to the coils themselves....how would I go about doing this? Do I have to cut and splice anything? What is the length of time required for doing this? and last but not least, Is there any noticeable gain from this? besides saving money on wires.
    Right, you will not need to buy spark plug wires ever again. On an e30, you do not need to cut anything, the new coils use the same connectors as the stock e30m42 coils. It is a very quick install and the hardest part is cutting one of the mounting holes off one of the coils. This can be done with a hacksaw, sawzaw, file, grinder, cut off wheel, ect. Overall the whole process should not take more than an hour.

The advantages are that you never have to buy wires again, you get cheap newer coils, a cleaner engine bay, less weight(slightly), and most people report a smoother idle.

Several people (including myself) have had the conversion fix rough acceleration/idle and other weird problems, but this can mostly be attributed to bad stock coils.

So in summary, it is plug and play on e30's and requires some minor wiring on e36's.

My Cars
    '91 Schwarz 318i
    This is quite ingenious, kudos to you haledj. Expect an order from me around April/May. You will still have these for sale, correct?
    Real skill comes from whether or not you come out of the corner in 1 piece.
    Anyone can stomp the throttle and go in a straight line.

My Cars

My Cars

My Cars
    95 318ti, ,43 dodge
    im intrested in buying them are you still making this kit and can you show me the wiring schematics. the plug from the wiring harness has only 6 plugs and i was under the assumption that you needed 8 wires 2 for each plug

My Cars
    See sig file
    Any news on fitting this to an M44, in general, and an M44 in a Z3 specifically?
    Pat
    ____
    '98 Z3 1.9L + '90 325iCab, '87 535iS_____________
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

My Cars
    Yes, It will fit. I just need a measurement from the back of the valve cover to the firewall. If it is smaller than on the e30 or e36, than I will make one without the extra arm for mounting the wires. This is what I have done with m42/m44's swapped into 2002s.

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    fyi...
    here's the diy w/ electrical schematic for the e36...

88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast