Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke my hood release

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT

Broke my hood release

Ever since I got my car a couple of weeks ago it's been tough to pull the hood release. I could get it part way, but then I had to use two hands to get it all the way and pop the hood. Well tonight the damn handle broke off.

I think it was just the plastic that broke and I can probably just get a new handle.

But why is it so hard to pull in the first place? Is this "normal"? Or do I have an issue with the release cable or even the release assembly?

My Cars
    e60 M5, e46 M3
    Mine releases fine. Sounds like a cable or assembly.

My Cars
    01 M Roadster. 98 M3
    A little lithium grease on the hood latch assembly helps alot.
    phrider
    2001 Titanium Silver M Roadster with hardtop
    1998 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe
    Former cars: Saab 900 Turbo, Rabbit, 1967 Chevy II, 1951 Packard Ultramatic Coupe (0-60 in under 0.3 minutes)

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Quote Originally Posted by phrider View Post
    A little lithium grease on the hood latch assembly helps alot.
    I hit it with some WD-40 to no avail. I also checked for any pinching in the cable and sheathing. I'll try the Lithium grease tonight. If that doesn't work then something in the release mechanism is fubar'd.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    You can also screw down the rubber bumpers in the engine bay a little bit. They're the bumpers that the hood closes against. If you twist them to lower them just a little, you'll find the hood release works more easily.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by EganM View Post
    I hit it with some WD-40 to no avail. I also checked for any pinching in the cable and sheathing. I'll try the Lithium grease tonight. If that doesn't work then something in the release mechanism is fubar'd.
    WD-40 breaks down grease, so it probably just made the problem worse. Lithium grease is what you need. I am a little surprised that I don't see more threads about that stupid handle breaking. It always feels flimsy, even when it works smoothly.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    If you get it open, then adjust the bumpers down on the hood.

My Cars
    2001 2.5l Z3; 2000 Toyota Avalon XL
    Why not more design integrity? Same as glove box design. Our cars have some quality questions as you will find out. When I first pulled mine I said, "this thing is going to break"

My Cars
    e36/7, e46, e66
    Quote Originally Posted by jackool View Post
    Why not more design integrity? Same as glove box design. Our cars have some quality questions as you will find out. When I first pulled mine I said, "this thing is going to break"
    I am convinced they spend all their development dollars on suspension and engine R&D and forget the little things. Have you ever seen the jack for a pre-99 e38? The guy that designed that deserved to be fired!!

My Cars
    06' Lotus Elise
    Cheap hood latch....cheap glove box...cheap seat bushings
    Sold

My Cars
    e36/7, e46, e66
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3RO 2 6T View Post
    ...cheap seat bushings
    Say, is that why my seats slide forward or back about a quarter inch depending how hard on stomp on the gas/brakes????

My Cars
    06' Lotus Elise
    Yea contact doug whalen and there is a nice DIY fix..everyones done it!
    Sold

My Cars
    Coupes...
    LOL. The euro glovebox does not rattle. Just the one that was hastily designed for us.

It's been a few years ago now, but I remember machining one out of aluminum or steel (can't remember which) for a guy who broke his.

Mine feels like it wouldn't take much more force to break it; if it ever snaps off, I'll just machine a new one for myself.

My Cars
    01 S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by whamac View Post
    It's been a few years ago now, but I remember machining one out of aluminum or steel (can't remember which) for a guy who broke his.

Mine feels like it wouldn't take much more force to break it; if it ever snaps off, I'll just machine a new one for myself.
    Make a couple dozen while you're at it.

Titanium 01 M Roadster - Sharked, 3.73 diff, CDV delete, IE SF bushings, RE RSMs, Tranny mounts, and clutch stop, SS brake lines, Eisenmann Exhaust, Mason Strut Bar, TC Kline SA Coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates...
    Other vehicles - Black 03 Mercedes E320/ 2008 Toyota Platinum Sequioa / 23ft Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler/ 2 Honda Quads

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Put me on the list to buy one of them from you!

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Quote Originally Posted by willscam View Post
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by willscam View Post
    Okay.

I'll take mine off tomorrow, and draw it up. As soon as I get a little time, I'll whip up a few.

My Cars
    01 S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by whamac View Post
    Okay.

I'll take mine off tomorrow, and draw it up. As soon as I get a little time, I'll whip up a few.

Titanium 01 M Roadster - Sharked, 3.73 diff, CDV delete, IE SF bushings, RE RSMs, Tranny mounts, and clutch stop, SS brake lines, Eisenmann Exhaust, Mason Strut Bar, TC Kline SA Coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates...
    Other vehicles - Black 03 Mercedes E320/ 2008 Toyota Platinum Sequioa / 23ft Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler/ 2 Honda Quads

My Cars
    2001 2.5l Z3; 2000 Toyota Avalon XL
    I am sending my resume to BMW suggesting they need a design consultant just for those "little things" that Toyota has got covered.

My Cars
    '97 Atlanta Blue Z3-SOLD
    I joined the glovebox fix club two days ago. Not too difficult, I'm not even a DIY kind of guy.

Does anyone here have a latch handle that does NOT resemble the one in these pics?

I don't recall seeing all of these molded ribs on the inside of the first handle that I replicated; but it's been years ago, so I can't really say for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I'll pull mine and check for you tonight. Might as well put me down for one. I have to make sure I keep my Whalen collection up to date. Do you think Delrin (or the like) would be a strong enough replacement, or would it have to be metal?

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Mine is sitting on the floor of the coupe so it will be easy to check this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    I'll pull mine and check for you tonight. Might as well put me down for one. I have to make sure I keep my Whalen collection up to date. Do you think Delrin (or the like) would be a strong enough replacement, or would it have to be metal?

I was thinking aluminum, at the very least; maybe stainless steel.

I just pulled mine off, and I haven't had a chance to give much thought to all of those small ribs. But if it has to have that much small detail inside, any type of metal would actually be easier to work with than plastic; I can use my wire EDM machine for making them.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast