Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microfilter/pollen filter DIY

My Cars
    530i & F30 320i

Microfilter/pollen filter DIY

UPDATE: March 2010

Someone asked for the pictures but unfortunately they are from an ebay seller website. I guess the original writer has taken down the pictures.

Try these websites. Not sure but may help.

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/12/03...crofilter-diy/

http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/microfilter/

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/b...ement-diy.html

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **

BMW E36 MICRO FILTER
    also known as cabin or pollen filter
    SUITS ALL E36 BMW
    e.g. 3 series 91-98
    filter made by the genuine supplier to bmw
    with free instillation guide

Original Text by Jerry Skene, jskene@coherent.com
    Additional information from Jimmy Shrake, jim@austin.apple.com and Ron Stygar, RonStygar@aol.com
    Photos and update by Michael Thompson, m_thompson@ids.net

Changing the microfilter is not a difficult task and should take about 45 minutes. The filter is mounted vertically, on the front of the center console, right below the center of the bottom of the windshield. Just follow the instructions below.
    Notes:
    Apparently there are three styles of glove boxes on the E36 cars. On some models you may not have to remove the kick panel. It also may not be possible (or necessary) to remove the two air vents and screws behind. On 1995 and newer models there is a 10 mm bolt behind the glove box light.

If you can't get the electrical distribution block out according the instructions, remove the three 8mm bolts holding the assembly and move the whole assembly out of the way.
    Remove Passenger Kick Panel
    To remove the passenger kick panel, remove the two phillips head screws at the left and right corners of the rear edge of the panel (the edge closest to the rear of the car), just below the bottom of the glovebox door. Now slide the panel towards the rear of the car (towards you), out of its retaining clip on the firewall. This is easier to do if you first push the air vent protruding through this panel up so it clears the panel, and bend the curved left side of the panel away from the right front edge of the center console cover, so it won't catch as you pull the panel out.

Remove the Glovebox:
    To remove the glovebox, flip the left and right air vents above the glovebox down, then pry them out with your fingers. Remove the black phillips head screws now visible in the air vent holes. Open the glovebox door and using a small slot screwdriver, pry out the two D shaped screw covers at the top left and right of the glovebox opening. Remove the two black phillips screws behind these covers. These two screws have a small ridge to retain the D shaped cover and must go back in the original locations. Using an offset screwdriver or short phillips bit in a 1/4 socket, remove the two screws at the lower left and right of the glovebox opening. On 1995 and newer models remove the glove box light and remove the 10 mm bolt behind the light. Pull out the glovebox and put it on the floor. You do not need to remove any wires from the rear of the glovebox.

Detach the Electrical Distribution Block
    To get clearance for the filter, you must move the electrical distribution block behind the glovebox out of the way. This block is in the upper left area behind the glovebox. It has a large bundle of wires coming in the top, and an orange relay mounted on the left side. This block can be slid up and out of its retaining slides if you first release the catch which holds it in place. The catch is on the right side of the block, about half the way back. Slide a slot screwdriver between the right side of the distribution block and the left side of the plastic electronic module holder, and push the top of the catch in (towards the left side of the car). While holding the catch in, slide the distribution block up and out of its retaining slides. Move it down, away from its normal position.
    Move the Passenger Air Vent Pipes
    Now you must move the passenger air vent out of the way. To do this, use a flat screwdriver and pry the duct retaining pin out of its hole. This pin is located just to the rear of the front lower, cadmium-plated Torx screw on the HVAC box, at the front of the console. When this pin has been removed, bend the vent pipe down.
    Remove the Filter Cover and Filter
    The filter cover is hard to find. Just in front of the above mentioned Torx screw on the HVAC box is a cylindical 1 1/2" diameter handle, with 2 rectangular protrusions molded into it. Turn this 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, and pull out the filter cover attached to this handle. Feel inside the opening created for the tab handle on the filter itself. This is slightly above where the round handle was. Push this tab towards the front of the car and then pull it out to the right. You will have to push the vent pipe down, out of the way with your left hand to get enough clearance to remove the filter. If the filter is the original one, the frame will be in one piece and will have to be snapped in two places to allow the filter to bend towards you, so that it will clear a bracket mounted to the car after the filter was installed at the factory. Examine your new filter to see how this works. The plastic frame has two slots and clearance wedges molded into it on the top and bottom edges. With a little force you can snap the frame at these slots, so that the filter now bends in two places. Do this to the old filter, and you can then remove it easily.
    Install New Filter
    Snap the new filter's frame as described above, and slide it into the filter slot. The filter should be oriented so that the handle is close to the top right corner of the frame. Once the filter is fully inserted, pull the tab towards the rear of the car, seating the filter in place. Replace the filter cover, ensuring that the wide edge of the cover plate is facing the rear of the car. If you have difficulty replacing the filter cover you might not have the filter seated fully. You can use your fingers to push the right edge of the filter forward. The gap between the front of the filter and the finter housing should be the same at the top and the bottom. Move the passenger air vent back into position and replace the plastic pin. Slide the electrical distribution block back into place, so that the locking catch snaps back into place. Replace the glovebox, vent grills, and kick panel.

Copyright 1997-2007 Jerry Skene, Jimmy Shrake, Jim Austin, Ron Stygar, Michael Thompson
    Last edited by Alex0607; 03-01-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: copyright added
    BMW E60 530i & F30 320i

"Its sometimes better to shut up and be thought of as a fool than to speak and have all doubts removed"

My Cars
    1994 325i Convertible
    Good write-up, spot on except for one note:

My 94 325iC with a DOM of 6/1994 has the 10mm bolt under the light. Oh and have a vacuum handy, trust me you're gonna need it!
    It's the same thing night on night, who's wrong baby who's right,
    Another fight and I slam the door on another battle in our dirty little war....

My Cars
    530i & F30 320i
    This write up is from an ebay vendor. Its quite clear so thought it may help someone here with their filter DIY.
    BMW E60 530i & F30 320i

"Its sometimes better to shut up and be thought of as a fool than to speak and have all doubts removed"

My Cars
    128i, 328xi, 3.0CS
    The installation instructions are copyrighted. The original, including the copyright notice, is at: http://users.ids.net/~thompson/bmw/microfilter.html

You have my permission to leave this post here as long as you remove the parts that were not part of the original instructions and include the copyright notice.

My Cars
    530i & F30 320i
    Hi,

Its amended. Hope thats better. Thanks for the heads up. Didn't want to offend anyone here.

Alex
    BMW E60 530i & F30 320i

My Cars
    e36 316i coupe
    This doens`t apply to my '94 316i coupe. I have no A/C and the microfilter on my car is placed somewhere beneath the cowling.

My Cars
    e36 BMW 325i Automatic

Smile Microfilter

It took me 10 minutes to complete, unlike lhd cars my microfilter was located underneath the steeringwheel side and I only had to remove the panel and duct to get to it. (After taking out the glovebox and searching for it on the wrong side ! LOL )

My Cars
    1999 328is M-Tech

Instructions specific to late E36

First, take out the glove box. Do this by removing all the screws, including the ones in the air vents above. No need to remove the air vents, they are attached to the glove box. To get to the 10mm bolt above the glove box light, carefully pry off the light using the flathead screwdriver (this should come out easily, so if you feel a lot of resistance, try another angle or pry spot).

Second, remove the kick panel (there are several different ways to wiggle this out, just don't break anything).

Third, remove the air ducting which blows air in the passenger footwell. Note that push-pin which holds it in place. Remove that, then wiggle it out.

Fourth, push up from the bottom on the wiring harness block to disengage the two locking tabs, which will slide up and out of their grooves. Re-locate it out of the way.

Fifth, unscrew the large plastic filter latch/cover with your fingers.

Sixth, take out old filter. Vacuum inside filter housing. Put in new filter, noting proper direction, airflow (it should only fit one way, with the tab sticking out...you'll see).

Do the rest in reverse order.

FYI: my MANN filter came with an instruction booklet with photos. You can see the PDF here: mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_all/einbau/HBJPN0FbufV.pdf
    Last edited by anonmartin; 12-18-2007 at 01:02 AM.

My Cars
    97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by anonmartin View Post
    FYI: my MANN filter came with an instruction booklet with photos. You can see the PDF here: mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_all/einbau/HBJPN0FbufV.pdf
    Wow, I wish all DIY pics were like that, with the tool, etc. next to the pic.
    But I'm still doing it with out taking out the glovebox, I'm afraid it'll prob sag more if i do it this way.

My Cars
    BMW E36 1996 Coupe
    I can't find the filter there pls help mi car is e36 316 coupe without klima 94year

My Cars
    e36
    I wish I had seen this DIY last week. I spent about 40 minutes taking my filter out, and ending up tearing it into 6 pieces in the process and making a general mess. The dash is still all apart with no new filter in place. I think this will help out a lot, thanks!

Oh, and before I saw this DIY, I would rate the difficulty of changing this filter a 9/10, while I would rate changing the heater valve (which is literally buried under the intake manifold, and requires great patience) about about a 2/10 in comparison.

My Cars
    E36 316i(95) and E36 318i(92)

Talking thank GOD I looked this up first...

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo3556 View Post
    It took me 10 minutes to complete, unlike lhd cars my microfilter was located underneath the steeringwheel side and I only had to remove the panel and duct to get to it. (After taking out the glovebox and searching for it on the wrong side ! LOL )
    I am fairly new at the whole DIY thing, and keep forgetting that most of these posts are from the US....with LHD cars! which means my microfilter will be under the steering wheel! Woo.

BTW, does anyone think it will be okay to just clean the microfilter or will I have to replace it? (Assuming I don't break it in the removal.)

My Cars
    '94 318i; '08 328xi
    I'd say replace it. you can buy online for $15 or less (US dollars...) and you're good to go. cleaning it would be tough, and depending on how long it's been in there, it may not be worth it. i just replaced mine the other day, and it was the original from 1994 (The original is unbroken along the top at the "bending points" because of how it's factory installed.) Very dirty, a lot of leaves. anyway, also remember that if you have a '94, and not just a '95 or newer (like listed in the DIY), there will be a bolt under the glovebox light....which I guess doesn't matter if your's is under your steering wheel....

My Cars
    325is
    Wow! Thanks! I've been trying to figure this out for over a year!

My Cars
    96 BMW 318IS
    Good Write Up Doing Mine Today

My Cars
    81 RHD 635, 85 M635csi
    my 99 328ic had similar issues as discussed, stumbled across this today, will be changed out and hopefully presto more air speed!!

My Cars
    1996 318i
    just did mine, EZ to do. Great F'n write up. Please put up more!!

My Cars
    bmw325i
    I just finished replacing my cabin filter.

The only ambiguous instruction in this DIY is the disassembly of the electrical distribution block. I couldn't figure out, even with the directions, how or which way it comes apart.

I ended up just taking off the black plastic air vent directly below it. Once I removed it, I had plenty of clearance to take off the filter cover and replace the filter. I was a little tricky getting the air vent back on.

Regardless, it's done. Now the air is blowing with much more force.

Thanks guys. You saved me some $$$.

My Cars
    1997 328I
    Great DIY, just just did it and it was far less complicated than I had anticipated.

Thanks

My Cars
    1996 328i
    The best cabin filter DIY. Thanks for the help, with others I didn't know what I was looking for.

My Cars
    M
    Hey. Been following the DIY and just got the old filter out. Now, how do I go about getting that damned distribution box off? I've tried sliding a flat-head screwdriver in there, but i can't seem to get the distribution box to release and move out of the way.

I'm dead in the water until I figure out how to get that black box of wires out of the way

Any advice/suggestions? Am I missing something?

My Cars
    BMW318

rhd pollen filter removal

note for rhd bmw's, remove panel from under steering wheel - 3x philips head screws, pollen filter is located to the left of clutch pedal, look for a round dial turn anti clockwise, this removes the casing for the filter, depress the tab and remove the filter, this can be a bit tricky, broke the casing on my filter pulling it out, cleared out leaves and hoovered dust out of filter and replaced and it works well, just waiting on new filter now to get the air moving even better, noticed massive improvement, takes about 10 minutes to do very easy diy job!!!

My Cars
    2002 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex0607 View Post
    This write up is from an ebay vendor. Its quite clear so thought it may help someone here with their filter DIY.
    Didn't know you could copyright something that is probably in some service manual.... Anyways I don't have it so much appreciated. I need to do this soon

My Cars
    2004 ZHP Sedan 6spd
    I thought some people would like to see why changing the filter is required.
    New filter

The frame was broken so i know it was not the factory filter. It was still very dirty. Also had a small pile of leaves and twigs at the bottom that had to be vacuumed out
    Last edited by Windsma; 06-13-2009 at 04:37 PM.

My Cars
    99 323is
    Haha, I just did mine following this and I thought mine was bad. Close to the above pic, but not THAT close. lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast