Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base of Driver Seat -- Grey Interior

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5

Base of Driver Seat -- Grey Interior

Question to E39 owners with the gray -- to my eye kinda blue -- interior.

My car has really nice interior, but lots of scratches at the base of the driver seat. Does anyone know of a color code that matches the base? I'd like to touch up, small thing but looks out of place with rest of interior.

Figure a picture is worth a thousand words here.

BLUE HEAVEN:
    Interlagos 2006 M3, AutoLogic tune, K&N CAI, Agency Power midpipes and exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, ///M Pedal Kit, UUC SSK. MRegistry listing here
    Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Tech Graphite, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Conforti/Shark tune. MRegistry listing here

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    I have the same problem with my grey interior. I would also like to know how to touch it up!

My Cars
    '01 E39 /'01 E46
    Home depot (or similar hdwe store) has a color matching paint mixer...take a sample and stick it underthe camera.. couldnt be eaiser
    (I've got the same problem BTW.. someday I'll do as I suggested, or you can sell me your remainder..)
    THE FINEST CAR EVER MADE-2001 Alpina E39 Electric red / Dove-grey montana leather w/ ski-bag option, cold weather(heated glass/mirrors & seats) premium and sport suspension package, Xenon lamps and Stealth bulbs, JDM Fog lamps, Bilstien's, Hankook Ventus V12 w/ Style 5 wheels (other sold), 30% tinted glass w/factory window shades/power rear and custom made sun-blocker panels, Zimmermann cross drilled rotors w/ Akebono pads, Stewart water pump. Too much to list except the TEC cupholder!! Salinas,Calif to Thousand Oaks on ~1/2 tank (325 mi @ 34.7 mpg). T.O. to San F on a tank (525 mi)!

One complaint: It wants to go fast (oops!).

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    Many just replace it. The part is about $36.
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    Thanks for both replies. Good idea on paint, but I'd think there would be a minimum purchase of at least one can, right? That's about 99.9% more paint than I'd need.

If just $36 for the outer piece of plastic, that may be the way to go.
    BLUE HEAVEN:
    Interlagos 2006 M3, AutoLogic tune, K&N CAI, Agency Power midpipes and exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, ///M Pedal Kit, UUC SSK. MRegistry listing here
    Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Tech Graphite, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Conforti/Shark tune. MRegistry listing here

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Those seat surrounds only can be purchased in pairs...so you may be able to recoup some of your expense by selling the one you don't use on ebay.

Or, if you can find someone else that needs the other side, you all can split the cost of buying the pair.

Just a thought.

You need #6 in diagram below: BMW part # 52 10 7 058 009 (Grau)

Click this link for price and part nbr index: http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online...52&fg=10&hl=27

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    I switched my scratched up grey ones out and replaced them with black ones FTW! no more worrying about scratching and the black looks great!

I bought them in a set of 2 from the dealer, I think it was about $50

2004 BMW 545i sport: current
    2005 Cadillac Escalade: sold
    2005 LR Range Rover: sold
    2006 Infiniti M45 sport: sold
    2001 BMW 540i sport: sold

My Cars
    Why not try and paint it first then spend the $50 if it doesn't work out? FYI I have the same scuff marks on my grey int.
    Last edited by SaveItK; 10-04-2007 at 05:41 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325i Mystic Blu
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmcc View Post
    I switched my scratched up grey ones out and replaced them with black ones FTW! no more worrying about scratching and the black looks great!

I bought them in a set of 2 from the dealer, I think it was about $50
    jonmcc, can you attach pics? i'm curious to see what that looks like.

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    sure thing...Ill snap some pics later this afternoon and post em up as soon as I can

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgy99 View Post
    Question to E39 owners with the gray -- to my eye kinda blue -- interior.

My car has really nice interior, but lots of scratches at the base of the driver seat. Does anyone know of a color code that matches the base? I'd like to touch up, small thing but looks out of place with rest of interior.

Figure a picture is worth a thousand words here.
    After seeing that picture, you should go ahead and sell the car...it has depreciated quite a bit since you exposed that flaw!

Yeah Chris, I would not even bother with the paint. It is a high wear area and you will end up with the same problem in a short amount of time. The new plastic will make it look new and the paint alternative will never be able to look as good.

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    After seeing that picture, you should go ahead and sell the car...it has depreciated quite a bit since you exposed that flaw!

What's up! Did you hear from the guy who bought 19" CSL reps on the M3 forum? I told him you used to have same set-up.

I switched my scratched up grey ones out and replaced them with black ones FTW!
    Black could work too -- I'm eventually getting new dark mats.
    BLUE HEAVEN:

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    alright heres the pic I promised... (crappy pic and yes I know I need to vaccum!!)

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    Hmm... doesn't look bad at all. Thanks!
    BLUE HEAVEN:

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    jonmcc, I have the Dove Grau interior, too and I'm going to get black mats when I replace mine. My question to you is, do the black outer covers look out of place the more you move around the seat? I would think with the black mat they work well, but those grey bits here and there I think would annoy me. Did you also get part #7 in QSilver7's diagram - the inner cover? I'm afraid that if I just got the outer cover then I would want the inner cover, then I would want the various bits that make up part #4 in the following diagram:

All of this would turn the purchase of a $34 part into a $76 mini-project before shipping. And while that price isn't so bad, I don't want it to snowball into something too expensive and anal-retentive.

Shanks!

Oh p.s. vacuum your friggin car out guy! C'mon this is a pubic forum!!!! sheeeeeeesh

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Hmmm, that kinda reminds me of the stone green/black interior option in the 2002/2003 (?) models.

The leather seating surfaces and center door panel was stone green, but the rest of the front seat, the carpet, dash, center console, etc was all black.

Below are pics I found of this kind of rare interior color combo of the stonegreen/black interior...does anyone on the forum have this interior?

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-04-2007 at 05:48 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Qsilver7, from my research of online parts databases and not yet having compared the schematics while in the actual car, I came up with three part numbers that should be swapped out to black to effectively couple the seats with black mats. These are the outer seat covers, the inner seat covers, and the various covering bits for the electric rails, all for the "basic" electric seat without shoulder, lumbar, or extending thigh support, and correspond to items 6 and 7 in the top schematic and item 4 in the bottom, respectively.

The corresponding part numbers are:
    52 10 7 058 008
    52 10 7 058 018
    52 10 8 217 314

Two questions:
    1) In your opinion, are these all of the requisite parts, or are there any additional coverings that I haven't located?
    2) The RealOEM pages for the seats have different part numbers "FOR VEHICLES WITH BELT TENSIONER, MECANICAL COVERING INNER RIGHT." What does this mean and how can I tell if my car has them. I'd hate to fit the part and find I have the wrong one. I've already done that before

airjose is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    2000 528I, 1999 MB SLK
    Edgy and Igot5:
    I was able to get a quart of paint to match my gray interior. I used testors(brand) plastic primer and then with a preval bottle I was able to spray paint the interior plastic, mixing the paint with lacquer thinner. The paint brand is Sem and was mixed by a local paint shop. If there are different grays for the inside plastic of the 5 series I do not know. But I have almost a quart and that is a lot of paint. If you can find a really small paint can that seals good, I can give you some. I am just south of Atlanta area and can not find a place around here that sells small empty cans. A small amount goes a long way for both seats. Just pay the shipping and get me the can.
    Take care, Jose
    Last edited by airjose; 10-05-2007 at 12:50 AM.

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    jonmcc, I have the Dove Grau interior, too and I'm going to get black mats when I replace mine. My question to you is, do the black outer covers look out of place the more you move around the seat? I would think with the black mat they work well, but those grey bits here and there I think would annoy me. Did you also get part #7 in QSilver7's diagram - the inner cover? I'm afraid that if I just got the outer cover then I would want the inner cover, then I would want the various bits that make up part #4 in the following diagram:
    I knew someone would say this lol. I thought about it before I bought the black panels, and I decided that I didnt want the extra black parts. especially the one on the inside where the seatbelt buckle is. you never see that one! personally I think that it would look worse with the additional plastics changed to black because they will really stand out against the grey carpet. with the way that it is, you just notice the smooth curved lines of the switch panel without all of the little parts jutting out here and there and grabbing attention. and keep in mind the pic is a closeup with the flash on. I dont notice the remaining grey parts at all when I get in and out, but I think I would if all those little parts were black. just MHO

My Cars
    I knew someone would say this lol. I thought about it before I bought the black panels, and I decided that I didnt want the extra black parts. especially the one on the inside where the seatbelt buckle is. you never see that one! personally I think that it would look worse with the additional plastics changed to black because they will really stand out against the grey carpet. with the way that it is, you just notice the smooth curved lines of the switch panel without all of the little parts jutting out here and there and grabbing attention. and keep in mind the pic is a closeup with the flash on. I dont notice the remaining grey parts at all when I get in and out, but I think I would if all those little parts were black. just MHO

Two steps ahead, I see! I culled all the part numbers and sourced prices and I think it's going to come to about $65 before shipping for all the various bits, inner, outer and under. For that price, I think I can mix and match and see what I like, then sell off any of the extra parts. You made some good points about the black buttons blending into the black panel - I wouldn't have thought of that. At this point I think I just need to see if I'm missing any more gray pieces. Also, where'd you get the mats and how much?

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    Two steps ahead, I see! I culled all the part numbers and sourced prices and I think it's going to come to about $65 before shipping for all the various bits, inner, outer and under. For that price, I think I can mix and match and see what I like, then sell off any of the extra parts. You made some good points about the black buttons blending into the black panel - I wouldn't have thought of that. At this point I think I just need to see if I'm missing any more gray pieces. Also, where'd you get the mats and how much?
    the mats came straight from the dealer, $134 + tax I belive. Im sure you can find them somewhere online for a bit cheaper, but I wanted them asap at the time

good luck with your seat trim swap! keep me updated. I really want to see how it turns out, you may inspire me to swich out the rest of my stuff too haha...

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    Edgy and Igot5:
    I was able to get a quart of paint to match my gray interior. I used testors(brand) plastic primer and then with a preval bottle I was able to spray paint the interior plastic, mixing the paint with lacquer thinner. The paint brand is Sem and was mixed by a local paint shop. If there are different grays for the inside plastic of the 5 series I do not know. But I have almost a quart and that is a lot of paint. If you can find a really small paint can that seals good, I can give you some. I am just south of Atlanta area and can not find a place around here that sells small empty cans. A small amount goes a long way for both seats. Just pay the shipping and get me the can.
    Take care, Jose
    That is incredibly neighborly of you, thanks! Do you have pics of how yours came out?

Will get back to you on container. Wouldn't a clean oil bottle work?
    BLUE HEAVEN:

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    the mats came straight from the dealer, $134 + tax I belive. Im sure you can find them somewhere online for a bit cheaper, but I wanted them asap at the time

good luck with your seat trim swap! keep me updated. I really want to see how it turns out, you may inspire me to swich out the rest of my stuff too haha...
    Looks good jon.... btw whats up with the molding? are your PMs working?

-Al.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Are the black parts painted white plastic, too? If so, won't they also have the paint scratched off - making the white plastic stand-out even more?
    Garrett

My Cars
    A lot of times threads fizzle out without an update, so in an effort to avoid this ocurrance in this thread, here's my update:

I decided on just the outer seat frames in black (part #52 10 7 058 008) for my gray interior, and not the inner frames or the the various other plastic bits around the seat. I coupled them with black OEM floor mats and now the footwell area of my interior looks like that of jonmcc. I also replaced all four door sill rocker panels with newer ones, courtesy of gumbi4u. They're not the //M sill panels, but gumbs had a great deal on which I couldn't pass. The seat covers themselves are each held on with two Torx screws and three plastic rivets. The plastic rivets are held very tenaciously and removing them necessitated destruction. These rivets created a lot of frustration so I replaced them as well. They're sold in sets of six (part#52 10 8 150 020) and are markedly inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    Are the black parts painted white plastic, too? If so, won't they also have the paint scratched off - making the white plastic stand-out even more?
    The black seat frames are made of ABS plastic, so they are all black, inside and out, on both sides, just like Mos Def. If you scratch these they'll still be black underneath and won't show up that much, which is why I got them. Black floor mats, however, are both good and bad. I got black floor mats to go with the frames, and also because my gray ones had dark stains on them that were very visible. I didn't want to deal with that again. However, everyday dirt and crap that is light colored sticks out very much. So with gray mats you see the permanent stains and with black mats you see the temporary dirt. There's no happy median.

Anyway, on to the pics:

In the future I might just go ahead and replace the remainder of the gray plastic bits with black, because I have seen pictures and it looks pretty good. It's a low priority, though, so who knows if it'll ever happen.
    Last edited by PJB; 05-15-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast