Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1997, Z3, 1.9 overheating, fan not spinning, replaced rad& thermo and fan not spin.

My Cars
    1997, Z3, 1.9

1997, Z3, 1.9 overheating, fan not spinning, replaced rad& thermo and fan not spin.

1997, Z3, 1.9 overheating, replaced radiator, thermo, etc., NEED HELP.

Bought vehicle new in 1997. Never had a problem. 95G miles.

Mechanic (not dealership) replaced radiator, thermostat, both hoses, all belts, plastic hose fitting at manifold rear.

Radiator fan won't spin unless air conditioner, or defroster is on.

Need some help, please.

Thanks

My Cars
    79 928
    Water pump?

My Cars
    1997, Z3, 1.9
    Oh, man, not this. I guess I need to qualify my posting.

If you turn a wrench, then please respond with real info. I would greatly appreciate it.

If you don't turn a wrench, then kindly leave this posting alone.

No offense intended, but, real info, please.

My Cars
    79 928
    You didn't list the water pump (known to fail) in your list of parts replaced AND since you're paying someone else to do the simple jobs that you've listed I figured I'd ask.

Now I see why everyone tells the n00bs to use the search button.

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    I assume the water pump is spinning, the fan should spin some. Only thing left from you list is fan clutch. with car off does the fan spin easily? with new fan clutch there is resistance, it won't spin around more than once- if that.

also suggest bleeding the system just to make sure all air is out, but this won't affect fan spin issue.
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ZUUD BYE View Post
    I assume the water pump is spinning, the fan should spin some. Only thing left from you list is fan clutch. with car off does the fan spin easily? with new fan clutch there is resistance, it won't spin around more than once- if that.

also suggest bleeding the system just to make sure all air is out, but this won't affect fan spin issue.
    My 97 1.9L only has an electric fan. No engine driven fan.... Now a question for the poster. You say the fan kicks in when running a/c or defroster. If so, does the car overheat when one of these are on? If not, then it's probably not the pump. Something to do with the switching system for the fan. This is where I'll have to pass it on to someone more knowledgable in electrics...

1997,,1.9L,,18" TSWs,,Alpine/Infinity/Polk sound,,Fogged airbox,,Magnaflow 14815,,Slotsanvents rotors,,Dark sunglasses,,Big smile

My Cars
    99MC, 06MR, 85M6, 97M3
    Radiator fan switch?? $30 part.
    99 M Coupe
    06 Z4M Roadster (1 of 1)
    85 M635CSi (Euro)
    97 M3 Coupe (Track)
    95 M3 Coupe
    91 850i 6MT
    11 E93 M3
    16 X5 35x
    16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD

My Cars
    '06 Z4M Roadster
    The electric fan in front of the radiator is only on when the A/C is on (turning the defroster on also uses the A/C). That's the way its supposed to act.

You should have the water pump checked.

My Cars
    '00Z3MC,'10e91, 76-2002
    M44 engine, same as my 318ti... temp switch on passenger side of radiator. If your mechanic did all that work (including the elusive rear engine block coolant manifold Y) and didn't change the water pump...I'd ask why not.

temp switch is item 10:>>

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=17&fg=05

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by wildag View Post
    The electric fan in front of the radiator is only on when the A/C is on (turning the defroster on also uses the A/C). That's the way its supposed to act.

You should have the water pump checked.
    On a 1.9 the fan is behind the radiator.

1997,,1.9L,,18" TSWs,,Alpine/Infinity/Polk sound,,Fogged airbox,,Magnaflow 14815,,Slotsanvents rotors,,Dark sunglasses,,Big smile

My Cars
    79 928
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggadiman View Post
    On a 1.9 the fan is behind the radiator.
    Nope. It sounds like a PO of your car has done the fan delete and installed a puller fan.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Panchoz3 View Post

If you turn a wrench, then please respond with real info. I would greatly appreciate it.

You should have qualified your post with WHICH FAN. Mechanical fan should be spinning. Electrical fan will spin if the A/C or defroster are on, or if the temperature switch turns it on to assist the mechanical fan. Temperature at which it turns on depends on which switch you have installed. Stock on the 1.9 was the 80/88C switch. The contacts for the connector on the harness for that switch are known to have trouble. And check your coolant level since that switch is near the top of the radiator. But if the car isn't overheating anymore, it's likely working properly.
    Daniel
    2002 M roadster
    persistently obsolete mod list

My Cars
    1997, Z3, 1.9
    The 1.9L is a 4 banger--no mechanical fan, just an electric fan.
    Ran engine for 2 Hrs. w/ a/c on, and engine ran at normal temp.
    This would seem to indicate pump is OK.

Still, turn a/c off, and overheats. Need help.

Re. 80/88C switch. Everything on this vehicle is totally stock--no mods. My guess, it's a switching problem. Will get the switch contacts checked, but still need help with this problem.

Re. coolant manifold. Just replaced broken plastic hose fitting.

PS. I do work on all my vehicles, mercedes 430clk cabriolet, jeep grand cherokee, 1972 2002 BMW, 4 harleys and a triumph. The beemer is my wife's. Currently, I just had rotator cuff surgery, and my left arm is immobilized for 4 more weeks, so, have to get others to do jobs I normally would do. Still, need help figuring out this prob. so that I can help my mechanic get the job finished.
    Last edited by Panchoz3; 09-24-2007 at 02:03 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by z3feaver View Post
    Nope. It sounds like a PO of your car has done the fan delete and installed a puller fan.
    It shows to have no mechanical fan in my repair manual and assumed all were like that. Went and looked at a website just now and saw one WITH a mech. fan. Sorry! I'm still learning.
    Last edited by Raggadiman; 09-24-2007 at 04:58 PM.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Is there a relay assigned to the fan circuit? If the switch doesn't fix your problem, I would look at any relays that could be associated with it. Also, have you checked all your fuses as well?

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Start with the simple stuff.

fuse, relay, then fan switch.

I would say its the fan switch, or better yet air in the system (it collects in the radiator right where the fan switch is) so use the bleeder screw and bleed the system (or have mechanic do it)

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    BTW, OP until you know on here who turns wrenches and who doesnt might wanna cool it. People around here actually try to help they are not smart asses so dont automatically assume they are

My Cars
    79 928
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggadiman View Post
    It shows to have no mechanical fan in my repair manual and assumed all were like that. Went and looked at a website just now and saw one WITH a mech. fan. Sorry! I'm still learning.
    I can't image one coming from the factory without one, but I guess some didn't.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    maybe its a northern package? ? ? lol, where was the car purchased from? he said that he bought it new so there is no chance that the po took it off. . .but all that doesnt matter, i installed the switch that should be in his car and the fan comes on and keeps my engine cool with no mech. fan. so that tells me that he either has a bad switch or a fuse went out.

My Cars
    79 928
    If the OP doesn't have a mechanical fan and the car is only overheating when the ac is off and the electrical fan isn't running, that narrows it down.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Panchoz3 View Post

Wow, dick.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT

My Cars
    1997, Z3, 1.9
    Any of you girls that soiled yourself re. my one remark, then, drop dead, or, maybe, just get over it. If you can accept my apology, then please do so, though, my friends are just not that fragile. The topic is cars, just cars.

My Cars
    Mcoupe 1999, Delsol 93
    the 1.9 engine should come with a mechanical fan...

they all have mechanical fan even in Canada...

maybe your mechanic took it off when you had your cooling system worked on...??? if you dont have a mechanical fan you should at least have a lower temp fan switch and water wetter...dont know if thats enough for the 1.9L though

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    did you figure out the problem yet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast