Thread: Gauge in the Air Vent Mod

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT

Post Gauge in the Air Vent Mod

This is a picture of my new VDO oil pressure gauge mounted into the driver’s-side air vent of my 98 M3/4. I am not entirely satisfied with the result. My goal was to make it look “factory”, but my craftsmanship leaves something to be desired. The air vent is quasi-functional. I can open and close the vent, but it is no longer directional. As you can see, I have also mounted an idiot light above for when the oil pressure drops below 7lbs.

My sunglasses holder is filled with VDO voltage, oil and water temp gauges. I wanted my oil pressure gauge mounted where it would be easily seen, but didn’t want the “racer” look that pods have. “Big Lun” posted some pics that showed a boost gauge mounted flush into an air vent, and “BrazeauRacing” indicated that he was going to try to do the same in his Bimmer (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...uge#post791587). After waiting to see their results, I decided to go for it.

It should be noted that my air vent assembly cannot be reverted back to stock. Also, I will have to cut open the assembly to change out the bulb when it goes out.

I am posting this picture with instructions on how I did it so others so inclined can do a better job than me. Maybe someone can figure out how to install the gauge without sealing it into the assembly. The next post will explain what I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lkstaack; 03-16-2003 at 08:52 PM.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    As you can see, I had to gut the vent to get the gauge to fit. I initially thought it would be fairly easy to do, but once I got started, I found that the vent assembly required considerable modification. In addition to cutting the front slats, I had to split the assembly in half and cut 2 holes for the back of the gauge to fit. This is how I did it (minus the failed attempts at other techniques):

1. Traced the gauge hole onto the front grill slats.
    2. Cut the grill slats by hand with a coping (jigsaw saw? You know, the long, thin blade) blade (the slats will then fall out because pressure on the two sides keep them in).
    3. Cut the vent assembly in half (see picture) with the coping saw so that I could: 1) determine where to open up the assembly for the rear of the gauge, and 2) be able to glue the gauge and slats from behind.
    4. Opened up the rear half of the assembly in order to get the gauge to fit semi-flush with the slats. Had to dremel a hole for the back of the gauge and the gauge light assembly.
    5. Epoxy’d the gauge into the assembly.
    6. Painfully trimmed each slat by hand so that it fit between the assembly wall and gauge (used the coping saw, xacto knife, and lots of sand paper). Epoxy’d them into place.
    7. Soldered wires onto the gauge.
    8. Epoxy’d the two halves of the assembly back together.
    9. Sealed all holes and gaps with black silicone.
    10. Put connectors on all the ends, taped into the appropriate wires in the dash, and put it all back together.

I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions about the install. Please use the search function if you have questions regarding gauge wiring.

v.b. is offline GoD, pls stop this bitch!
    My Cars
    2001 Yamaha R6. 104rwhp@14500rpm!
    that's clean...and the vent still function, nice mod....

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Lars,

Based on your pics, it looks great!

I haven't performed my vent gauge yet for 2 reasons: 1) I am purchasing another vent/light switch assembly to modify; 2) I have decided AGAINST installing the gauge in the vent of the assembly.

After realizing that our slats are different than the Audi slats (Audi vent is much easier to modify), I concluded that it would be too difficult to actually make it look "good" or "clean". Instead, I will be relocating the headlight switch and using that spot for the oil pressure gauge. It is slightly lower (perhaps not as visible) than mounting the gauge in the vent, but I think it will look better there. You'll notice that the plastic surrounding the light switch actually sinks inward. The diameter of this "sink" is approximately 2 1/16". I popped out this assembly and and an oil pressure gauge will definitely fit in there since the light switch, itself, goes in so deep. I haven't decided where to mount the headlight switch, but I'll find a place!

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Could you post a wider angle pic that includes the gauge cluster? I'd like to see what your oil temp gauge looks like from a distance.

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    I think it would be worthwhile to move this thread to the E36 M3 and/or E36 3 series forum.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Originally posted by Big Lun
    Could you post a wider angle pic that includes the gauge cluster? I'd like to see what your oil temp gauge looks like from a distance.
    How's this?

I like your idea for using the headlight switch. It would be pretty easy to do and you would maintain the functionality of your vent.

However, you would have a challenge finding a new home for the stock switch and labeling the on/off positions. Also, the gauge would not be as visible there; your left hand would hide it.

My oil pressure gauge is very easy to see at this location. However, it does look somewhat out of place. The dash is somewhat "unbalanced" now, and you can really tell that the VDO red light doesn't match the BMW orange light when they are this close togeather. But, I am happy with the results and glad I made the effort. BTW, how much is a new vent assembly going to cost if I ever want to go back?

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Yep, that's what I was lookin for. It looks good, man!

Pacific BMW sells a new vent/switch assembly for $31. Not too pricey.

There's enough room to install the switch just to the left of the dimmer switch for the gauges. I have another plastic piece that only has one rectangular cut-out for the dimmer switch. My euro has 2 rectangular cutouts, so it wouldn't work with that piece.

I don't have my digicam right now. I'll post pics of what I'm planning to do when I get it back.

It's true, the gauge won't be as visible as it is in the vent, but I think it's still a highly visible spot and I'll still have a functional vent. As I mentioned before, the effort will be much less and it will look cleaner.

Can't you put an orange 'condom' over the light of the VDO gauge. I thought they were available?

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Originally posted by Big Lun
    Can't you put an orange 'condom' over the light of the VDO gauge. I thought they were available?
    VDO provides a red and green sock. The red light is reddish-orange. Close to the BMW color, but not exact.

My Cars
    '00 Z3-2.8L Roadster, '01BMW 330i & '01Tacoma 4WD

Talking Great design (m)

I have one question and recommendation...
    The question: What is that black silicone looking stuff, that surrounds the wiring? Is it silicone.

The suggestion: For the light removal and change, I would suggest to drill a hole, above the light socket and then use a snap in plastic plug or use some tape to tape the hole up.

Your install looks great. Too bad, My Z3 does not have that side vent that is used on your car.
    Ciao! - - Nathan

2000-2.8L Z3 StahlGrau Roadster, #65 - SM2 and a 2007 335i (BONE STOCK!)
    BMWCCA Tejas Chapter & iZ3 Project Coordinator for the San Antonio Area.
    FEAR MY TWO SEATER!!!!!!!
    Hello, I'm a MOD-A-HOLIC, check out my site to see my addictions! www.z3power.net

Member Since May 30, 2002

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT

Re: Great design (m)

Originally posted by Z3POWER
    I have one question and recommendation...
    The question: What is that black silicone looking stuff, that surrounds the wiring? Is it silicone.

The suggestion: For the light removal and change, I would suggest to drill a hole, above the light socket and then use a snap in plastic plug or use some tape to tape the hole up.

Your install looks great. Too bad, My Z3 does not have that side vent that is used on your car.
    The black stuff is the silocone that I used to fill the holes (to keep the airflow directed down the vent).

Your bulb replacement recommendation might work. I cut two holes in the assembly. One was to allow the light bulb assembly to partially stick out. The blue wire goes through this. I may be able to remove the silocone and reach the bulb. It would be tight though (but I could always enlarge the hole).

The other hole was to allow the gauge body to partially stick out. This is marked by the yellow wire (the red indicator line's position is incorrect).

Thanks for the comments.