Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re Dynoed today

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport

Re Dynoed today

ok so after getting the bugs worked out i headed to the dyno today. sadley i only got 45 min on the dyno before one of my 90 degree silicon elbows blew a large hole and i didnt have anything to replace it with.

the first run netted 485 rwhp and 462 tq @ 14 psi with really conservative timing @ 10-12 degrees between 2000 rpms and 7000 rpms..

please dont pick at the AFRs, my tuner didnt get smooth out as much as he wanted due to hole in the coupler ending our session.

before the AFRs were extrenely lean across the board it seems the motor is breathing in a lot more air now i assume due to the larger valves new manifold and larger turbo.

i will fix the coupler with a welded 90 degree aluminum elbow and go back another saturday and re tune what i have now.

to be honest i might just stay with the 485 and have it smoothed out more and not push my luck for more power im not sure yet.

the partial throttle is much smoother now after more timing was added and AFRs were smoothed out more today for part throttle.

my last dyno with the last setup was 471 at about 18-19 psi and now with the new motor turbo setup combo im getting 485 on only 14 psi so it seems this new setup seems to be more accepting this time.

the 2nd run didnt reach full boost because the couper had a hole or tear and the run after that (no graph since it was 0.00 boost) so thats why it shows 470.

we called it a wrap today and my tuner added more fuel in the areas of lower rpms and pulled some more fuel in the higher rpms.

just wanted to post up a little bit of good luck i was having.

in the dyno room the motor was still seeing 100 degrees celcius about 212-213f. so it looks like i wil be upgrading my water pump, lower temp thermo stat and a larger core radiator to help bring the temps down but over all the car hasnt over heated so im happy with that.

over all this motor seems to be very responsive compared to the last build and even my tuner agrees that this motor seems to be much more alive with making more power with less boost and actually responding to changes compared to the last motor which he had to fight with tuning.

just to repeat, this is not the final tune there will be much more cleaning up

i also have a video below as well and some pix.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M65DvY6s9fE

Last edited by CosmoE36; 09-01-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    Nikon D800e | Nikon D700 | MB-D10 | SB900 | SB800 | SB600 | LumPro160 | Nikon 85 1.4G | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 35 1.4

My Cars
    530i E60
    That's some nice numbers you made.
    I am in the middle of doing my turbo setup. basically planning phase for routing. Have all the parts.

I have a few questions.
    Where did you get that Silicon hose off the throttle body? How much does it cost?

Did you tap your oil pan or valve cover?
    Also i see the filter on the timing chain cover. Can you explain why remove the hose connection and add filter? So where is that hose routed now.

Again that's an amazing car and i will look for your future results

530i E60 Wizard of Nos Nitrous System/STS Rear Mounted Custom Turbo(PSI_unknown)

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ritoab View Post
    That's some nice numbers you made.
    I am in the middle of doing my turbo setup. basically planning phase for routing. Have all the parts.

I have a few questions.
    Where did you get that Silicon hose off the throttle body? How much does it cost?

Did you tap your oil pan or valve cover?
    Also i see the filter on the timing chain cover. Can you explain why remove the hose connection and add filter? So where is that hose routed now.

Again that's an amazing car and i will look for your future results
    1.the silicone elbow i got from www.boostcontroller.com website. they sell silicone couple parts and i have never had any issues with that piece. it has survived 2 turbo kits and 3 motors.

i got a different silicone elbow recently and that one blew a hole, why i dont know maybe defective.

2.i had the oil pan removed and drilled and a -10an fitting welded on for the oil drain return.

3.that filter on the valve cover is my breather filter. stock theres a hose that goes from that spot to the intake tube. on turbo motors you dont run that line to the intake tube going to throtle body because it will repssurize the crank case. you are suposed to route that hose PRE TURBO, but i chose just to use a little filter instead.
    Nikon D800e | Nikon D700 | MB-D10 | SB900 | SB800 | SB600 | LumPro160 | Nikon 85 1.4G | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 35 1.4

My Cars
    E46 M3 Turbo 7675BB
    NIce numbers!!!

yawn!!!!!

My Cars
    95 M3
    Nice Cosmo!
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

My Cars
    530i E60
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmoE36 View Post
    1.the silicone elbow i got from www.boostcontroller.com website. they sell silicone couple parts and i have never had any issues with that piece. it has survived 2 turbo kits and 3 motors.

i got a different silicone elbow recently and that one blew a hole, why i dont know maybe defective. I will head to the site now. Also i did not see any MAF sensor so how did you get around that?

2.i had the oil pan removed and drilled and a -10an fitting welded on for the oil drain return.
    I was trying to avoid this. On my kit i have a oil pump that would circulate the oil threw the turbo and to the oil return line which it saids either the oil cap or valve cover. I was trying to find a second oil cap that would allow me to tap a whole all the way through it.

3.that filter on the valve cover is my breather filter. stock theres a hose that goes from that spot to the intake tube. on turbo motors you dont run that line to the intake tube going to throtle body because it will repssurize the crank case. you are suposed to route that hose PRE TURBO, but i chose just to use a little filter instead.
    That's the first i heard of this. I haven't gotten that far in the instructions because it's been a maze trying to figure out the best route. looking at some of my instructions it mention routing the pcv and another line to the brake booster which i see you have done. I could not tell from the photo which one went to the brake boost.

Thanks for the information and hopefully before the tenth of this month i can finish up my setup. I am having to custom build all the pipe work but the muffler guys around here just want to get in and out. It's too much work for them i suppose. I may have to drive 3 hours away.

530i E60 Wizard of Nos Nitrous System/STS Rear Mounted Custom Turbo(PSI_unknown)

My Cars
    13 Rubicon
    You could also route this to a catch can as well. Correct? That's what I ended up doing.

Sick numbers btw! Boosted Avus FTW!!
    2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs (Sold)
    1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc.. (Sold)
    2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Love everything...but the muffler
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    e36 m3, e39 m5
    Very nice! Pump fuel?
    11.75 @ 131 6262 2.8l TRM Tuning e36 m3 - 2011 http://dragtimes.com/BMW-M3-Timeslip-23541.html

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
    You could also route this to a catch can as well. Correct? That's what I ended up doing.

Sick numbers btw! Boosted Avus FTW!!
    yes you could. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    Love everything...but the muffler
    eh it doesnt bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmb882 View Post
    Very nice! Pump fuel?
    thanks, yes this was don on 93 octane QT gas.

i will not dyno on race gas or meth/water/alchy injection on my street car. if there is something that i have to constantly fill up like gasoline then i dont want it. just preference

My Cars
    99 M3 *Turbo*, 56 VW 2.2L
    niiiiiice, congrats man....the golf gives you how much hp?
    CP Pistons
    Eagle Rods
    T67 Turbo
    Lots and lots of custom goodies and 666 fab schtuuufff

05/01/07 RIP pops

My Cars
    530i E60
    What di?d you say you did with the maf sensor?

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2003 GSXR-1000
    that is freakin filthy!!!!!
    nice man....damn 485whp on only 14psi....that is simply amazing....that valve job does help after all i guess ....

Stan
    Mods: Carbon fiber hood, headlights with angel eyes and 14000 Kelvin HIDs, blacked out/smoked tail lights and side turning signals, smoked front corners...and thats about it
    Ohh...and some "bolt-ons" here and there........K&N air filter, m50 manifold, rouge trans mounts, a few V-band clamps, few silicon couplers....etc...etc....
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653809

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMARSH View Post
    niiiiiice, congrats man....the golf gives you how much hp?
    Golf putter FTW!!
    What di?d you say you did with the maf sensor?
    Deleted it. running MAP sensor now with the tec III

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    that is freakin filthy!!!!!
    nice man....damn 485whp on only 14psi....that is simply amazing....that valve job does help after all i guess ....

Stan
    awesome thanks man. i was only running off the WG spring 1 BAR 14.5 psi

so the motor is definately breathing in and out more

My Cars
    530i E60
    I had my valve job done and head ported. The car has seen to run hotter. Is that your experience? I was thinking because i need to let the crank breathe as yours is setup. I still have it running like stock. I would be interested in your experience with this.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Too little timing is BAD!!! I don't know why BMW guys haven't learned this yet!

I understand being conservative while tuning your setup, but you want to run enough timing to get the EGTs down under WOT.

Not sure what your compression is, but it sounds like you could run at least a few more degrees of timing and be VERY safe(assuming you're in the 8.5-9.0:1 range). I'm sure each degree of timing you add will net huge gains since things it's very low now.

Who is tuning the car? I know a few people that do import tuning in Atlanta.

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    I had my valve job done and head ported. The car has seen to run hotter. Is that your experience? I was thinking because i need to let the crank breathe as yours is setup. I still have it running like stock. I would be interested in your experience with this.
    motor runing hotter doesnt have anything to do with the way your PCV line is routed. if you are turbocharged you do NOT run the PCV line to the same place as stock or you will pressurize the crank case. either run the PCV line to a catch can setup, put a filter on it or run the PCV line to the intake pipe PRE turbo meaning before the turbo.

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Congrats those are some great numbers for 14psi; some of the highest I've seen at the that boost level on here. If you drop your water temps to somewhere between 70-80C I bet you'll pick up 2-4% everywhere.

Good point that Jacob makes, what were your EGT's during the runs? Also is there anyway you can fit an air filter? Given that you've invested a lot into this engine, you should look into getting a used oil analysis from Terry Dyson http://www.dysonanalysis.com/. The website is down right now, but for $50 and he analyzes everything and gives you some recommendations. I'm doing the same in the next month or so. Just my $0.02.
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Too little timing is BAD!!! I don't know why BMW guys haven't learned this yet!

I understand being conservative while tuning your setup, but you want to run enough timing to get the EGTs down under WOT.

Not sure what your compression is, but it sounds like you could run at least a few more degrees of timing and be VERY safe(assuming you're in the 8.5-9.0:1 range). I'm sure each degree of timing you add will net huge gains since things it's very low now.

Who is tuning the car? I know a few people that do import tuning in Atlanta.
    Def i said the tuning wasnt done yet. what would you like the tuner to do add a bunch of timing and not re dyno to see the results because we could not continue because of a blown 90 degree coupler.

i will be going back as stated in initial post. the timing was brought up a significant amount by the tuner initially at the start of the session.

my tuner is Ed Senf he tunes all the Bimmerworld challenge cars running Motec. Ed has been tuning probably since i was born he knows what hes doing. and has explained to me numerous times of the effects of too little and to much timing.

Quote Originally Posted by e36'n View Post
    Congrats those are some great numbers for 14psi; some of the highest I've seen at the that boost level on here. If you drop your water temps to somewhere between 70-80C I bet you'll pick up 2-4% everywhere.

Good point that Jacob makes, what were your EGT's during the runs? Also is there anyway you can fit an air filter? Given that you've invested a lot into this engine, you should look into getting a used oil analysis from Terry Dyson http://www.dysonanalysis.com/. The website is down right now, but for $50 and he analyzes everything and gives you some recommendations. I'm doing the same in the next month or so. Just my $0.02.
    i too was impressed by the outcome. its too bad we blew a silicone elbow and could not continue.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    awesome, awesome, awesome!!! im glad to things finally coming together for you! Congrats, I cant wait to see the final product!
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Congratulations! Sick results for 14psi!

Get that aluminum elbow on there and go have some fun! Do some burnouts for me since my car is still undriveable!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Def i said the tuning wasnt done yet. what would you like the tuner to do add a bunch of timing and not re dyno to see the results because we could not continue because of a blown 90 degree coupler.

i will be going back as stated in initial post. the timing was brought up a significant amount by the tuner initially at the start of the session.

my tuner is Ed Senf he tunes all the Bimmerworld challenge cars running Motec. Ed has been tuning probably since i was born he knows what hes doing. and has explained to me numerous times of the effects of too little and to much timing.
    I understand you said the tuning wasn't done yet, but it sounds like your timing is super low(i.e. why even run timing that low low). You never said what your compression ratio is, so I assume it's higher than 9.0:1.

No need to respond like I'm an idiot that can't read your post, merely trying to help...

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Ed has a fantastic reputation in the racing world, congrats on hooking up with him to tune your car. Lucky guy!

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Congratulations! Sick results for 14psi!

Get that aluminum elbow on there and go have some fun! Do some burnouts for me since my car is still undriveable!
    thanks Cam, aluminum elbow is part of the plan to replace that piece. you certainly are a patient person wit your car.

Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Ed has a fantastic reputation in the racing world, congrats on hooking up with him to tune your car. Lucky guy!
    i am fortunate that Ed has time with his busy race schedule as he is always traveling. Ed has tuned all my cars so he is the only person i trust pretty much regarding his experience with BMWs and Race engines.

My Cars
    t67 328is - KIA
    congrats
    M52 Power! 500whp?, ? ft/lbs
    Mods:8.5:1 CP pistons, Eagle rods, S52 cams, M50 intake manifold, Eurosport High Performance underdrive pullies, 3.23 lsd, ZKW's w. DDE, BBS RC's 18x8.5, Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sport springs, Eibach sway bars, BMW Motorsports x-brace, pwr 57mm rad, stewart high performance water pump, 6000k prolumen hid's, m tech kit

custom turbo: sias tuning tec3, t67 ho, spa turbo manifold, 24x12x3 ebay intercooler, 750 cc low impedence injectors, arp head studs, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, hks ezII evc, tial 50mm bov, tial 40mm wastegate, plx m250 wideband o2, cartech motor mount, turbowerx oil scavenge pump, spa gauges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast