Thread: Airbag code interpretation requested

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i, 1998 Subaru Legacy GT

Unhappy Airbag code interpretation requested

I just purchased a Peake R5/SRS tool to diagnose an airbag light on my 2002 325i. I got a table 10, 0D (firing circuit, driver airbag, stage 2) and 50 (supply voltage) codes. Has anyone had this combo and/or can you provide any insight or a DIY for a fix? Thanks!!

My Cars
    1997 528i
    I also have the Peake tool, and although I have an E39, I encountered similar error numbers, mine related to the passenger seat and also the supply voltage. Not knowing the history of these lights (they were on when I bought the car), I decided to clear them and see what codes would come back. That was two months ago and i've never had my SRS light come back on and i'm not sure what the issue is, in my case, maybe someone did something to trigger the codes but didn't have the tool to reset it? Just my thoughts.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineBMW2002 View Post
    I just purchased a Peake R5/SRS tool to diagnose an airbag light on my 2002 325i. I got a table 10, 0D (firing circuit, driver airbag, stage 2) and 50 (supply voltage) codes. Has anyone had this combo and/or can you provide any insight or a DIY for a fix? Thanks!!

Clear them and see if they come back. It looks like those are power interruption faults - like somebody had an airbag disconnected and turned on the key.

My Cars
    Thanks for the thoughts. I did try to clear it, but had no luck. Any idea if the power feed to the radio also feeds the driver airbag? I tapped into it to hook up my XM devise. However, the light came on well after the install, so it should be separate. Before I start to pull apart the steering wheel, I want to make sure it isn't the seat sensor or seatbelt clasp. Threads from the forum and my local indy confirm the E46 has a lot of issues with these. Peake has different codes for them, but the manual has all kinds of warnings about misleading codes. Don't want to chase the wrong lead!

My Cars
    88 E30 M3, 95 E36 M3
    Sounds like you may need a new driver airbag. You can try to disconnect the airbag from the steering wheel and inspect the connectors and wiring for any damage. Sometimes I use what is called, electrical stabilant (sp). I use them alot on seat occupancy sensors and other MRS devices. You apply it to the connector contacts, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Your supply voltage fault is caused when a battery is disconnected ot the MRS module somehow loses power. If you want a true fault reading, get access to a GT1 or DIS tester. Good Luck.
    GarageWorks
    Vallejo, CA

mike@garageworks707.com
    BMW Certified Diagnostic Technician

88 E30 M3 - Running like a champ.. paint is tired
    95 E36 M3 - has undergone the jenny craig diet

My Cars
    Thanks bmrtech, I've also seen mention of someone replacing the slip ring to re-establish good electrical contacts. I'll start by cleaning up all contacts, try a new slip ring, then go to a new airbag. My guess is that item ain't gonna be cheap!

My Cars
    88 E30 M3, 95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineBMW2002 View Post
    Thanks bmrtech, I've also seen mention of someone replacing the slip ring to re-establish good electrical contacts. I'll start by cleaning up all contacts, try a new slip ring, then go to a new airbag. My guess is that item ain't gonna be cheap!
    Ah the slipring, forgot to mention that too. It probably will solve your problem. They are not too expensive. Don't forget to take the red tab out.
    GarageWorks
    Vallejo, CA

mike@garageworks707.com
    BMW Certified Diagnostic Technician

88 E30 M3 - Running like a champ.. paint is tired
    95 E36 M3 - has undergone the jenny craig diet

My Cars
    I'm psyched!! I used DIY information from my330i.com (custom steering wheel install) to pull apart my driver airbag and slipring. When I pulled apart the slipring, there was a kink in the electrode tape, but the copper inside appeared OK. I straightened it out and re-assembled everything, making sure all contacts were clean and secure. When back together, I used the Peake SRS tool to clear the code and viola! No more airbag light! It's been three days now and no light!