Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Dynojet Results - modded e36 M3

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3

My Dynojet Results - modded e36 M3

to be honest, my results were somewhat bittersweet. recently i was 'called out' about my dyno numbers in my sig. i have explained over and over again that the 270rwtq and 271rwhp in my sig are from a dynapack which does read higher mostly because the measurements are taken at the wheel hub, without the drivetrain loss of the wheels/tires. so i went to the same place i got my stock dyno done at and did some base runs on their dynojet with my current setup. here's video of the best runs i got

first, here is my current modlist:
    M50 Intake Manifold
    Conforti 3.5" CAI
    AA Software
    3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete
    Strömung Exhaust
    UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel w/ Stg1 Clutch
    AA Track Pipe

...and the graph:
    dyno.run.jpg

and here's my stock graph overlayed with this one:

stock.modded.compare.jpg

now before all you nay-sayers jump the gun and reply with, "you didn't make 250rwhp like you said you would." i also asked the same question after receiving my results. first, let me say this: i've never been one to exaggerate facts and this experience won't change that. everything i post in this thread is factual and not 'fudged' at all. though, i expect most of the people who want to see me fail will stop reading here and that's fine, but i feel obligated to present what i found:

the owner of the shop mentioned to me (when i was making the appointment, before i actually went there) that his dynojet produces lower results than other dynojets. now i didn't think much of this at first because my stock dyno produced 208rwhp and 210.8rwtq which is right on target for a stock s52. i thought the guy was just trying to make customers feel better about their numbers or something which i don't really care about. what i found out is that he might have been telling the truth...

you might hear people say that dyno results from different dynos are not comparable to each other - anyone with a tuning background will tell you this. if you don't believe that then just look at my dynapack results compared to my dynojet ones. the same thing goes for results from the same type of dyno - you really can't compare them. so, with my results still lingering in my head i wondered what others have got from this dyno. as a comparison i asked the owner of the shop if he had any e36 M3s to compare to...he didn't (OT: they used to have a lot more dyno run files available but their computer crashed which caused a lot of data to be lost. i had to bring my own base line dyno files beacuse they didn't have them), but he did have a stock 2000 m roadster (same s52 engine as me). here's what that thing pulled on its best run:
    mroadster.run.JPG

ok, that's odd i thought. that's significantly less than what my car produced for its stock baseline dyno, but that is only one example to compare to so we went searching for others. we found a 335 with Borla catback exhaust recorded on the same dyno. here's its best run:
    335.run.jpg

hmmm...interesting. those things typically dyno a bit more than that stock - generally around 27X/28Xrwhp and similar rwtq from what i've seen - and this one even has a catback exhaust system on it. strange...maybe this dyno really does read a bit lower than other dynojets and my baseline was just a testament of its freakish nature...maybe not

so in conclusion you can take what you want from this thread. i'm sure i'll get flack for the numbers not being 250+ but that's fine, like i said i expect that and would be disappointed if it didn't happen

for anyone who is interested i got the owner to give me the dynojet files for all of the runs depicted above. you can download the dynojet software to view them from here: http://www.dynojet.com/downloads/software.aspx

dynojet run files:
    my (e36 M3) stock base run: right click, save as
    my (e36 M3) dyno run from today: right click, save as
    stock 2000 m roadster: right click, save as
    2007 335 with Borla catback: right click, save as
    if anyone would like to see how their car stacks up at this dyno (and live in socal) the website/address is located here: http://www.rddyno.com/. the owner is a cool guy, his name is steve. i am obviously very interested in the results others with similar setups, or even stock setups get at this shop.

this thread is, of course, dedicated to all my fans. thank you all, for without you this thread would have never existed
    Last edited by jworms; 01-02-2022 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Updated links
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    That
    Nice

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Great numbers and are right in line with my numbers. I have 5rwhp less and 10rwtq less than you, but you've got software and exhaust.

Must be fun to drive

Edit: Mine was off a Dynojet as well.
    99 Alpine/Gutted ///M3

Estoril/M-Technic cloth ///M3
    - RIP http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1191513

My Cars
    1995 AW M3
    Oh you didn't hear that the M50 manifold is no good?

My Cars
    97' M3, 2000' M5
    Go ahead and throw some cams on there and you will be set . Nice numbers.

My Cars
    skateboard
    nice numbers.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Cosmos Black, 1992 Toyota 4runner
    What is wrong with your A/F ratio's? Pretty erratic?
    1995 E36 M3 Cosmos/Dove grey
    Euro-floating rotors/Axxis Ultimates/Stoptech SS lines
    E39 M5 trunk lip spoiler, AA exhaust, GC RTAB shims/GC RSMs
    Euro airbox and snorkel/540 HFM/24# injectors/JimC chip/BW intake boot
    X-brace, UUC tranny mounts w/TMEs, ZKWs

My Cars
    99 M3 *Turbo*, 56 VW 2.2L
    still with the hfm unplugged? oh my...
    CP Pistons
    Eagle Rods
    T67 Turbo
    Lots and lots of custom goodies and 666 fab schtuuufff

05/01/07 RIP pops

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth View Post
    What is wrong with your A/F ratio's? Pretty erratic?
    running with no MAF has that effect there's definitely some power to be had on my car with proper tuning.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMARSH View Post
    still with the hfm unplugged? oh my...

here's some pictures from the session:
    getting the car setup. yes i know it's filthy.

92,897 miles and still running strong!

MAF unplugged

gotta represent

EDIT: videos downloaded from here (right click, save as):
    dyno vid 1 (18mb)
    dyno vid 2 (4.4mb)
    dyno vid 3 (4.4mb)
    Last edited by jworms; 08-03-2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: include video links
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    SOLD

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    right on target, my previous M3 with your same mods minus the 3.5HFM and the track pipe.put down 237RWHP and 227TQ SO my guess is with the 3.5HFM and SW would have same results.
    Now you can change your sig to read 242RWHP 232TQ
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Matutino View Post
    right on target, my previous M3 with your same mods minus the 3.5HFM and the track pipe.put down 237RWHP and 227TQ SO my guess is with the 3.5HFM and SW would have same results.
    Now you can change your sig to read 242RWHP 232TQ
    What is your making now?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    What is your making now?

No idea, last dyno with only 6PSi was 297RWHP & 260RWTQ. I have an appoinment next Tuesday to re dyno my car, now is at 9PSI with WI, M50 intake manifold and NickG tunning; I'm changing my set up to RMS stage II (within 2 weeks or so) 13PSI With NickG tunning I should be putting down 400RWHP ...I hope.
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    99 M3 *Turbo*, 56 VW 2.2L
    plug that thing in already! lol jk dont wana kill ur thread...as long as ur happy with it thats all that matters!
    CP Pistons
    Eagle Rods
    T67 Turbo
    Lots and lots of custom goodies and 666 fab schtuuufff

05/01/07 RIP pops

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    all im going to say is that those are fantastic numbers for your mods.

i knew your car made a ton of HP and with headers/pullies you may hit 250whp, but 250 rwtq is just way too much for an s52.

Looks like u owe me a beer

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    all im going to say is that those are fantastic numbers for your mods.

i knew your car made a ton of HP and with headers/pullies you may hit 250whp, but 250 rwtq is just way too much for an s52.

Looks like u owe me a beer
    i still believe that i could hit at least 250rwhp and 240rwtq on a different dynojet, but i'm not gonna spend the time/money on it right now. for the sake of what this thread dictates, i definitely owe you a beer

SOLD

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    first of all, the hfm unplugged seems retarded, i don't understand that.

second of all, if you're going to have it unplugged why not delete it altogether?

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    At first i was gonna say nice torque curve on your engine, then saw the 335's

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post

second of all, if you're going to have it unplugged why not delete it altogether?
    hes right if you arent going to runn the hfm, get the sensor out of it, its just inthe way and useless.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    How the blazes do you get 240rwhp with that set of mods?
    Is the track pipe that beneficial?
    Lastly, what did you do to get the engine/DME to compensate for the loss of the HFM signal?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Why is your HFM unplugged, is it broken. Its there for a reason.

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3

Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    hes right if you arent going to runn the hfm, get the sensor out of it, its just inthe way and useless.
    i completely agree. i think between getting rid of the MAF altogether and deleting my traction control i can probably pull another 5rwhp out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    How the blazes do you get 240rwhp with that set of mods?
    Is the track pipe that beneficial?
    Lastly, what did you do to get the engine/DME to compensate for the loss of the HFM signal?
    1)
    2) i believe so, but it's hard to say. at the same time i installed the track pipe i also unplugged my MAF. much more info on that experience in this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=687627
    3) i did nothing. it just worked and it worked much better than when it was plugged in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAMUmpower View Post
    Why is your HFM unplugged, is it broken. Its there for a reason.
    there's a bunch of info in that thread i posted above in reply to Balthazarr. you can also check out the link to another thread about unplugging the MAF in my sig: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=751597

SOLD

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 08 GL450, 04 E320
    Jonathan,

Those are some great numbers for the mods you have, even though it's not quite 250whp. The way I would look at it is: 1) You're not too far off that 335i with exhaust (17rwhp) on the same dyno 2) Your car is still a beast performance-wise (beating e46M3s and hanging with slightly modded 335i's is no small feat). Most e36s that do this are usually FI'ed, and you're still N/A without cams. That's a great accomplishment!

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Jonathan,

Those are some great numbers for the mods you have, even though it's not quite 250whp. The way I would look at it is: 1) You're not too far off that 335i with exhaust (17rwhp) on the same dyno 2) Your car is still a beast performance-wise (beating e46M3s and hanging with slightly modded 335i's is no small feat). Most e36s that do this are usually FI'ed, and you're still N/A without cams. That's a great accomplishment!
    he will not beat even a stock e46 with a decent driver...

My Cars
    e31_850ci & some e38s
    yeah your Air/Fuel looks like a rollercoaster cause you had your 3.5HFM disconnected...
    E31 M73 Forever

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Jonathan,

thanks! i was hoping some people would take note of the comparisons.

he will not beat even a stock e46 with a decent driver...
    wanna bet?

Quote Originally Posted by ELIBEEMER View Post
    yeah your Air/Fuel looks like a rollercoaster cause you had your 3.5HFM disconnected...
    yep. unfortunately it runs better without it plugged in so for right now that's my only option until i figure out how to fix my software to work with the 3.5" MAF. After that, i expect even more power

SOLD

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast