Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Security code...

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Question Security code...

Do all the bimmers come equipped with the security code disabler as standard equipment or is it a special order option? I have had the code disable option on my '89 750iL (doesn't keep it from getting stolen if you don't use it though ) and now on my '00 540i but my Bro's '98 540i doesn't seem to have this option. Are we missing it somehow? Any input on this curious lack of a security feature will be appreciated...

Peace to all...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Are you talking about the code punch pad? looks like a telephone dial? They stopped making those I believe since a remote pretty much does the same and disables the starter. I havent seen those in eons. They were pretty popular.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2003 540i - M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbi4u View Post
    Are you talking about the code punch pad? looks like a telephone dial? They stopped making those I believe since a remote pretty much does the same and disables the starter. I havent seen those in eons. They were pretty popular.
    its part of the onboard computer

i have gps so its easy to get to mine....

u set the 4 digit code with the car in accessory then switch the car off and pull out the key

u can't start the car (even with the key) unless u key in the 4 digit code.

more than anything its piece of mind...i've used it a few times!
    2003 540i M-Sport - Sterling Grey/Black Leather
    GPS | PP | Rear Shades | Intravee II | Valentine 1 | 35w ProLumen HID Fog Lights w/3000k bulbs | 35% Formula One Pinnacle Series Ceramic Tint | Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 83mm | Eibach Rear Sway Bar | Weichers Front Strut Tower Brace | Racing Dynamics CAI | Stealthone | Sound by Focal/JL Audio/Arc Audio

DPE Wheels for Sale....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post26952145

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post

u set the 4 digit code with the car in accessory then switch the car off and pull out the key

EXACTLY.... How come my Bro's '98 doesn't seem to have this option on his OBC?

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Quote Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post

Shit I have it too but never really used it. It definitly is piece of mind. The starter cutoff is armed with the remote anyway.

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    2000 540
    This security code just gave me such a huge problem while I was adding navigation to my car. Finally got it resolved. What shows up on the MID where 'code' would show up? If you turn the key to position II and not one I don't think will appear. I know all 540s are supposed to have it, but he does have the High OBC right?

My Cars
    1998 528i
    I have a '98/no nav. I don't have that function (that I know of).

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I/6
    97 no nav, i use it daily so I can pretend im the transporter.

My Cars
    2000 540
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySweitzer View Post
    97 no nav, i use it daily so I can pretend im the transporter.
    Haha. Thats great. "It's coded."

Mookish, you shouldn't have it because you have a low OBC.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I think all 540s are High OBC, so I'm not sure why I don't have the security code feature. Hmmm.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    What is the diff between the low and high OBC?

Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

My Cars
    2002, 528i, LS430, RX330
    Quote Originally Posted by mookish View Post
    High obc has more toys to mess with (check fluid temps, check oil pressure, set alarms, set security codes, etc)

Low obc just has a few functions (temp, gas,, etc)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Another tell tale diff is the low OBC has a car silhouette that shows when a door, etc. is open. The high OBC scrolls a digital message.

My Cars
    M5,300zxtt,5.0L,A4
    I think all e39 have it, there was an article somewhere were it showed you how to acces it in a low-obc car

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Exclamation Use it or lose it...literally!

Not really but I know that if you forget to set the 4-digit code (you select) and the crooks break into your house and find your keys, you'll wish you had set the damn thing! Had I taken the 15 secs or so to set it before going on vacation, I'd still have my baby. I went to the mountains for my 2-year old son's first snow adventure and it was snowing too much so we took a 4x4 (no way I was gonna put chains on my 750). After being stuck in the mountains for TWELVE hours (should've been a 3-hour drive like Gilligan's Island) we returned home to an open garage, ransacked house and missing 750iL...!!! If you have the security feature that allows you to set a manual code disabler...USE IT would be my advice. And for gosh sake, hide your keys or take them with you if you have to leave your baby at home!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by thrilos5 View Post
    I think all e39 have it, there was an article somewhere were it showed you how to acces it in a low-obc car
    My car has High OBC and doesn't appear to have it, but please post that URL anyway.

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Yea - where is this function? If I click through the OBC, should I see it there? 'Cause I don't, and this sounds like a neat function.

My Cars
    M5,300zxtt,5.0L,A4
    Try turning the car off but leave the key in potision I or II and then check your OBC for "code" if it comes up, you can select any 4 digit security code you want

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by thrilos5 View Post
    Try turning the car off but leave the key in potision I or II and then check your OBC for "code" if it comes up, you can select any 4 digit security code you want
    Will do. Thx

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Hmmm i need to give this code thing a look. I think i have it but then the question arises, whats the difference in setting a code or using your remote to arm the alarm? they both do the same thing no? They should both cut off the starter and set the alarm right? If the car has both systems, they are probably tied together so if one is defeated so is the other. Or does the code actually lock other devices too ie stereo , cluster etc etc.

This is good stuff but from all the years I have been working on security systems, this is news to me. Anyone have an official page out of the owners manual which lays this out? Mine doesnt say shit so i'm assuming mine never came with it.

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    My car has High OBC and doesn't appear to have it, but please post that URL anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ishmackxx View Post
    Yea - where is this function? If I click through the OBC, should I see it there? 'Cause I don't, and this sounds like a neat function.
    Hmmm i need to give this code thing a look. I think i have it but then the question arises, whats the difference in setting a code or using your remote to arm the alarm? they both do the same thing no? They should both cut off the starter and set the alarm right? If the car has both systems, they are probably tied together so if one is defeated so is the other. Or does the code actually lock other devices too ie stereo , cluster etc etc.

This is good stuff but from all the years I have been working on security systems, this is news to me. Anyone have an official page out of the owners manual which lays this out? Mine doesnt say shit so i'm assuming mine never came with it.

Exploring the E39, 4 Function OBC

For the "high" OBC

http://www.ideaphile.com/bmw/540-obc.html

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Thanks, Mookish, but I think you misunderstand the subject of this thread. It is about a security lock-out code feature that will render the car inoperable even with the remote and key.
    I have already unlocked my OBC test mode and fooled around with all those goodies in that article.

My Cars
    2003 540i - M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolinARC View Post
    Not really but I know that if you forget to set the 4-digit code (you select) and the crooks break into your house and find your keys, you'll wish you had set the damn thing! Had I taken the 15 secs or so to set it before going on vacation, I'd still have my baby. I went to the mountains for my 2-year old son's first snow adventure and it was snowing too much so we took a 4x4 (no way I was gonna put chains on my 750). After being stuck in the mountains for TWELVE hours (should've been a 3-hour drive like Gilligan's Island) we returned home to an open garage, ransacked house and missing 750iL...!!! If you have the security feature that allows you to set a manual code disabler...USE IT would be my advice. And for gosh sake, hide your keys or take them with you if you have to leave your baby at home!

when we went on vacation for 10 days back in june

i armed the alarm in the house (monitored security system)

took the keys to all the cars with me

and set the code on the bmw...
    2003 540i M-Sport - Sterling Grey/Black Leather
    GPS | PP | Rear Shades | Intravee II | Valentine 1 | 35w ProLumen HID Fog Lights w/3000k bulbs | 35% Formula One Pinnacle Series Ceramic Tint | Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 83mm | Eibach Rear Sway Bar | Weichers Front Strut Tower Brace | Racing Dynamics CAI | Stealthone | Sound by Focal/JL Audio/Arc Audio

DPE Wheels for Sale....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post26952145

My Cars
    99 540i

The remote alarm is useless if someone steals your keys. The code keeps someone from taking your car even if they have the keys.
    1999 540i Sport

My Cars
    M5,300zxtt,5.0L,A4
    Quote Originally Posted by fuddyduddy121 View Post
    The remote alarm is useless if someone steals your keys. The code keeps someone from taking your car even if they have the keys.
    thats true

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast