Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub Frame Bushing install with out the tool

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT

Sub Frame Bushing install with out the tool

I DID IT!

I wont ever do it again tho, but if anyone wants to know how to do it here goes.

First of all here is a list of the tools that i used.

1.) basic hand tools
    2.) Air Hammer and assorted bits
    3.) PVC saw
    4.) hammer

Take the inner fender out first, if you lower the part of the inner fender towards the rear of the car it will allow you to pull the whole fender out took me a long time to figure that out.

what you do is cut the center out of the old bushing using the PVC saw. thne you take the air hammer and use an angle bit (looks like a "V") and start from under the bushing. your going to basically hammer the steel ring to bits all the way up the bushing it will look like this:

Also you can see the bits that i used in the second picture.

I really do no recomend you do this on your daily driver with out having the tool. the first bushing took me 2 days to get out because i didnt know what i was doing, the second took almost 2 hrs.

i tell you that everyone is not kidding when they say this is the first mod that you need to do to your car!

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    I thought you were gonna use the torch?
    -Joe

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    I can't see the pics! Stupid work computer!
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    Boring Commuter
    I really wanted to do a suspension mod before I got IE installed. After I got IE installed, I'm content with the stock suspension.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
    I really wanted to do a suspension mod before I got IE installed. After I got IE installed, I'm content with the stock suspension.
    Though there's always room for improvement, I'm also happy with my stock suspension. Along with IE bushing, I also have H&R sway bars. The car feels great for what I'm using it for.
    -Phil

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
    EXACTLY!!!! Especially if you have front and rear strong struts. I thought the same exact thing after I put them in and was waiting on installing my TC Kline suspension. Now that I have it on, I love it and it kicks ass, but I probably would have been ok without it after putting these bushings in.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    I was considering doing the install without the tool. I am now re-thinking that. It's the first suspension mod (other than Rogue RSMs) that I was going to do. I guess I'll have to figure out something else.
    1997 Z3 2.8L Montreal Blue/Beige Ext. Leather.
    Hybrid Legatia L6 - Arc Audio 4150 XXK,
    Hybrid Legatia L1 Pro - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Image Dynamics ID8 - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    I did mine without the tool as well, it was no fun. And I had the entire subframe out, I can imagine how difficult it was doing it in the car. You are right about the difference it makes in regards to cornering, like night and day.

My Cars
    07 Z4MC, had 00 Z3MC
    Not using the tool makes it tough...

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Where can one purchase "The Tool"?
    1997 Z3 2.8L Montreal Blue/Beige Ext. Leather.
    Hybrid Legatia L6 - Arc Audio 4150 XXK,
    Hybrid Legatia L1 Pro - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Image Dynamics ID8 - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Gives new meaning to what a job is like with the "right" tools. I mean Randy and I did this is 1:45 with inspections of the subframe and differential and shooting the shit. Makes the drive there worthwhile.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    so thats where those things go

ECIS Intake:M50 Manifold:Supersprint:Bilstein/H&R Sport:RE RSM:WSM:MZ3 Front Bumper:3.73 LSD
    Waiting List: IE Bushings

My Cars
    z4 35i dkg
    is it worth paying someone 400 for the install
    2009 Z4 35i DKG
    VRSF DPS
    VRSF 7" FMIC
    MHD Flasher

2000m roadster R.I.P.
    2001 z3 3.0 R.I.P.
    2002 slk32 AMG sold

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    i didnt use the torch because i was affraid of catching something on fire. . .

this way worked ok, and now i dont have to worry about having a hard time getting them out ever again. . .

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000m View Post
    is it worth paying someone 400 for the install

no. . .even without the tool i wouldnt pay someone 400 to use the tool to take them out. . .if your going to spend 400 you might as well buy the tool and then re-sell it when your done!

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    no. . .even without the tool i wouldnt pay someone 400 to use the tool to take them out. . .if your going to spend 400 you might as well buy the tool and then re-sell it when your done!
    i think the last time it was sold was only for $100, so you would save yourself $300

ECIS Intake:M50 Manifold:Supersprint:Bilstein/H&R Sport:RE RSM:WSM:MZ3 Front Bumper:3.73 LSD
    Waiting List: IE Bushings

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    i was about to pay 180 for the tool. . .but i was talking about getting an new one

My Cars
    02' Z06
    Took about 30mins with the tool, and BTW of anyone needs it in LA send me a PM as I know a shop that can do this for you!!!
    '99 M Coupe SOLD
    AA Supercharged, B&B Exhaust, H&R Coilovers w/Rouge Mounts, Custom Paint, BBS RGR's Custom Color, LTW Flywheel, Subframe FIX, Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator, Stewart WP, UUC Pulleys, UUC Trans Mounts and Cups, M50 Mani Swap
    www.engineeredimages.com/subframefix/

'95 M3 Cosmo SOLD
    : http://www.engineeredimages.com/
    "Every BMW Begins Life As A
    Meticulously Engineered Blur."

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    Gives new meaning to what a job is like with the "right" tools. I mean Randy and I did this is 1:45 with inspections of the subframe and differential and shooting the shit. Makes the drive there worthwhile.
    And that includes forgetting to put the springs in when we raised the subframe

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    And that includes forgetting to put the springs in when we raised the subframe
    I did that on one side of my car!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    I did that on one side of my car!
    Ten minutes beforehand, I told Clark that we (meaning I) have to remember to put the springs in as we raise the subframe...

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    How do you get the new bushings in? If it's that much work to get them out...
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    The IE ones are two pieces and slide in from the top and bottom.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Ten minutes beforehand, I told Clark that we (meaning I) have to remember to put the springs in as we raise the subframe...
    i put the springs in last. . .like i had it all bolted back together and just had shocks sway bar and springs left to secure. . .didnt have any problem getting my sprins in at all. . .

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    So we're talking about the green things in the picture? Or the pivot point just to the left in the picture?

Yes I realize this is an (OMG is he freaking retarded? Is he even allowed to drive) question.
    Last edited by Codeman; 07-28-2007 at 05:15 PM.
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast