Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pix of the modified top mount and AC bracket

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport

pix of the modified top mount and AC bracket

***More Pix Post 24

well since i got my top mount it was clear that AC was not going to work. the WG placement was right where the ac compressor would sit and to top that off the ac compressor interfered with the runners of the manifold anyways so thats strike 2.

i called up techno550 to work his magic and i suggested modifying the AC bracket to lower the compressor, i had no idea he would actually slice the bracket in half horizontally which turned out awesome.

basically mccoy and wayne the other fab guy at the shop where my car is put their heads together and decided that cutting the ac bracket in half horizontally would allow them to retain the stock mounting points on the block while still lowering the compressor almost 3 inches which thus allowed more than enough room for the compressor, lines and the new WG plumbing.

after they sliced the bracket they welded the bracket on the sides corners and the back and filled the back as well to add more strength (not like its going anywhere anyways lol)

the compressor mounted is not mine just a spare mock up one we grabbed from another motor.

in the end all i need is a slightly shorter 5 rib belt from Napa or autozone and everything will be fine. losing AC was not an option for me in atlanta plus its a street car.

sorry for the crappy pix i left my camera in a friends car
    on to the pix.

Last edited by CosmoE36; 07-27-2007 at 09:22 AM. Reason: more pix
    Nikon D800e | Nikon D700 | MB-D10 | SB900 | SB800 | SB600 | LumPro160 | Nikon 85 1.4G | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 35 1.4

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmoE36 View Post
    well since i got my top mount it was clear that AC was not going to work. the WG placement was right where the ac compressor would sit and to top that off the ac compressor interfered with the runners of the manifold anyways so thats strike 2.

i called up techno550 to work his magic and i suggested modifying the AC bracket to lower the compressor, i had no idea he would actually slice the bracket in half horizontally which turned out awesome.

basically mccoy and wayne the other fab guy at the shop where my car is put their heads together and decided that cutting the ac bracket in half horizontally would allow them to retain the stock mounting points on the block while still lowering the compressor almost 3 inches which thus allowed more than enough room for the compressor, lines and the new WG plumbing.

after they sliced the bracket they welded the bracket on the sides corners and the back and filled the back as well to add more strength (not like its going anywhere anyways lol)

the compressor mounted is not mine just a spare mock up one we grabbed from another motor.

in the end all i need is a slightly shorter 5 rib belt from Napa or autozone and everything will be fine. losing AC was not an option for me in atlanta plus its a street car.

sorry for the crappy pix i left my camera in a friends car
    on to the pix.

...need i say more????

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Wow! That is going to be one helluva ride! Nice top mount setup. Nice to see another going for more than GT35R.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    328is, civic
    nice, like how you got it to work with a/c. I however am not crazy about the collector. do you have better pics? of possibly looking into the collector? Is it a true merge collector?

Still looking better then mine though. cant wait to see it in action.
    1005whp/831wtq little bit of low boost pump gas magic...

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    as far as i know all 6 runners merge together at the flange
    Nikon D800e | Nikon D700 | MB-D10 | SB900 | SB800 | SB600 | LumPro160 | Nikon 85 1.4G | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 35 1.4

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Your wastegate is where your turbo goes...

Looks great Shawn.
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Wow! That is going to be one helluva ride! Nice top mount setup. Nice to see another going for more than GT35R.
    yea pish posh gt35r

c'mon t88h baayyyybee

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by e34biturbo View Post
    yea pish posh gt35r

c'mon t88h baayyyybee
    Well now...actually pt67 would be nice. Or...I got off the phone with someone who gave me personal impressions of an ITS Super 70 and OH MY GOD! That might be my next turbo right there! Put it this way...he blew doors off a GT35R M3 at ~550whp.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Well now...actually pt67 would be nice. Or...I got off the phone with someone who gave me personal impressions of an ITS Super 70 and OH MY GOD! That might be my next turbo right there! Put it this way...he blew doors off a GT35R M3 at ~550whp.
    I got a PT67 in my shed......I was one of precision turb's customer back in the day....it is jyst collecting dust now...

My Cars
    Nike's
    ^$50?

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz69 View Post
    ^$50?

My Cars
    Lots.
    Cosmo,

What about the valve cover melting with the downpipe routed directly over it (and hovering only like an inch from it)?
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    95 M3
    That...looks....Awesome.

Austin

Btw, why do turbo guys use header wrap instead of just jet-hot coating the stuff. I hate working with header wrap. Ugh, the stuff bugs me.

Austin
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 View Post
    Cosmo,

What about the valve cover melting with the downpipe routed directly over it (and hovering only like an inch from it)?
    do you mean the plastic motorsport cover? that shouldnt melt , i will be using very good heat wrap on the down pipe, the guy thats working on my car says he wants to make a aluminum cover to replace the plastic one, so we will see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
    That...looks....Awesome.

Austin

Btw, why do turbo guys use header wrap instead of just jet-hot coating the stuff. I hate working with header wrap. Ugh, the stuff bugs me.

Austin

i never have time or think about sending the stuff to get coated lol no place near by and i hate shipping stuff that i have to get back.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmoE36 View Post
    do you mean the plastic motorsport cover? that shouldnt melt , i will be using very good heat wrap on the down pipe, the guy thats working on my car says he wants to make a aluminum cover to replace the plastic one, so we will see how that goes..
    When I asked the question I was thinking you might go the aluminum route as I would be worried about the plastic melting. Granted the pipe is heat wrapped but its still going to radiate heat of atleast 300+F I would think.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by e34biturbo View Post
    I got a PT67 in my shed......I was one of precision turb's customer back in the day....it is jyst collecting dust now...
    Huh? That doesn't make sense cause the cob webs on that T88H are older than the ones on the PT67.

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Huh? That doesn't make sense cause the cob webs on that T88H are older than the ones on the PT67.
    you should see the t78 that has been archived as a true historic peice

My Cars
    1995 325i & 2001 R6
    All I have to say is that is one beautiful series of pictures.

My Cars
    Lots o' m3s
    Nice!

The a/c compressor is the bane of most peoples charge piping design...such unfortunate placement. Nice to see a creative workaround (albeit for a unique situation).

I take it the stock a/c lines are going to interfere with the manifold too. Do you plan on making your own or getting that fabbed elsewhere?
    SOLD -A dozen ///M3s of all shapes

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzintn View Post
    Nice!

The a/c compressor is the bane of most peoples charge piping design...such unfortunate placement. Nice to see a creative workaround (albeit for a unique situation).

I take it the stock a/c lines are going to interfere with the manifold too. Do you plan on making your own or getting that fabbed elsewhere?
    the stock AC lines wont interfere that much. they will have to be slightly bent or pushed out of the way but as long as your gentle with them it will be fine. they are already wrapped in heat resistant foil as well to protect from heat from the manifold.

My Cars
    E30 S52 TURBO
    thats is sweet looking!

but yeah. taking the downpipe off everytime you want to check plugs, etc sounds like a bummer

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by multiplex View Post
    thats is sweet looking!

but yeah. taking the downpipe off everytime you want to check plugs, etc sounds like a bummer
    I have to do that too. Depending on the manifold though you can squeeze the downpipe sliding down and over the manifold so it is not on top of the coils. I couldn't do this because my runners are so long and come way up in the back.

Here is a perfect picture of how it can be done with any top mount manifold other than mine due to runners going pretty much right to collector.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Nicely done.
    Mike=the man.

love the fisheye lens too
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzintn View Post
    Nice!

Ok, so you were right lol. one of the AC lines had to be modified. doh

we ended up using a piece of ac hard line from a E30 (the only thing from a e30 that will ever be on my car lol) to add length to the e36 line as well as cut and reweld the line at a different angle.

after a few welds and pressure testing with AC equipment we fond a leak and repaired the leak and another pressure test and vacuum test left over night showed the system holding 25 inches of mercury over night no problem.

i have some new pictures now.

motor is in. had more items that had to be modified :sigh

lower radiator hose didnt fit now so had to fab up a cutom hard pipe so thats done.

had to move the AC drier forward to free up the hole so we could fit the charge pipe off the compresor housing. in the pictures it looks close to the wheel but we have clocked the wheel and lowered the car all the way and it clears no rubbing. whew and it happens to go right to the hot side of the intercooler perfect.

had to redo the intercooler bracket to fit the new electric fan so now that fits.

down pipe and dump tube from WG routed back into down pipe at a slight angle done.

all thats pretty much left is to connect the down pipe to the rest of the exhaust and finish the cold side of the charge piping.

have to pump the 6 month old 93 octane gass out and put in fresh gas.

motor has already been primed along with oil feed line we have turned the motor over with the starter and it spun quite nicely with 7 quarts of 30 weight oil.

will change oil at 100 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles and then 3000 miles put in my standard weight oil

Sunday is the day we should be finished! ill cross finger.

My Cars
    E70 X5D & R56 MCS
    The whole car looks amazing I'm jealous of your piping routing with the top mount setup.

I haven't figured out how I can go above the subframe with a gt35r bottom mount and retain the a/c..

I'm also curious what is holding the IC mounted? It looks like a piece of angled steel mounted inside the nose panel?

How do you like the UUC red tranny mounts with the TME's? I had a set on mine but ended up switching back to the stock mounts bc they felt much better IMO, they made everything feel smoother..
    -Kyle 1995 Custom Turbo M3 SOLD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast