Thread: 335i Coupe Euro. Deliv. Almost Too Fast?

My Cars
    335i Coupe, Saab 9-5 Aero

335i Coupe Euro. Deliv. Almost Too Fast?

About June 26 I placed an order with my local dealer for a 335i Coupe to be picked up in Munich on Sept. 19, 2007. A few days later my car was shown as 'On Order' by OC. About July 7th that changed to 'Scheduled for Production'. Imagine my surprise when today (the 17th) that changed to 'Awaiting Transport'!
    My Coupe is completed! And in less than a month start to finish. To say I'm a little shocked would be an understatement. Of course it still must be taken to the Prep Center and gone over, but essentially the car will be done two months before I am scheduled to pick it up.
    Doesn't that seem unusually fast? I thought there was a huge backlog and mine wouldn't be done until a week or so before delivery. If mine can be completed so fast why is there a "shortage" for US delivery? Although he was nice about it, my salesman made it sound like he had to jump through hoops to get me an ED car. Is BMW creating a false undersupply? Did I happen to order at a slow time?
    Don't scold me for looking a gift horse in the mouth. Of couse I'm ecstatic about it being ready. Heck I'll fall asleep every night for a week shifting through the gears, trying to nail the perfect clutch-blip-4 to 3 in this sweeping off ramp I know.
    But doesn't the schedule seem unusually fast all the same?

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    It really dosn't take that long to make a car. I've seen production line videos, and the cars move at a reasonable pace.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    It's not that I was surprised how quickly it got through the plant, I'm surprised by the car reaching this stage less than a month after I ordered it. Come to think of it, I don't even give them a check for the balance due until next Thursday.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Euro Delievery FTW!!! I hope to do at least one in my lifetime.
    "A fast car does not make a fast driver"

My Cars
    99 m3
    A little off topic, but how did you spec it out? Always curious to see what options people choose and omit
    99' Ti Silver BMW ///M3 coupe
    Mods: UUC System U Exhaust (Round Tips), more to come soon
    Just ordered: euro clears all the way around, depo's w/ angel eyes and 10000k hids, black kidneys

99' SVT Lightning (Very Modified )- For Sale

My Cars
    I ordered the Coupe with Premium, IPOD and 6MT, with dark walnut and...can't remember the name of the leather color. It's not the light beige, kind of a cream brown color. Thought long about the Nav but have driven the Infiniti G and didn't think BMW had kept up. Also I wanted to avoid IDrive. I have a TOMTOM 910 with European maps so I'll be bringing it along for the grand excursion following pickup.

My Cars
    '08 135, '08 Jeep GC
    Which interior color?

I find this very wierd, maybe people backed out on orders with the E92M making the press, or perhaps they opened another line dedicated for 3'er coupes.

My Cars
    2007 328i, 2004 R1150r
    Exterior color?

But yeah, the cars don't take long to build. It's waiting for them to be shipped home that kills. My dad's old 545i took about two months to arrive.

My Cars
    Oh yeah, the color-Titanium Silver Metallic. I still don't remember the interior color except that it's similar to the baseball glove color before Liberace started designing them.
    I tried to get the color off the BMWUSA on line 'build it yourself' website but I have been unable to access it for three weeks from five different computers. It tries to put up the BIY splash but crashes every time right at the start, or halfway through. Must be someone asleep at the switch at BMW internet marketing.
    PS They could learn a thing or two from Infiniti's G37 Website, check it out. Great website for the second best car.

My Cars
    VDUBKID, of course it took 2 months for the 545 to get to Minnesota. BMW likes to have at least two vehicles in their transports.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 550i MSport
    The interior color you describe is Saddle Brown.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    you are missing out by not getting the i drive, the ipod hook up through it is amazing. Plus, a little bit of one-on-one time in the car with the manual is all it takes to get it down flat, or about 20 minutes of "how the hell do I..." thinking while driving.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolyf View Post
    About June 26 I placed an order with my local dealer for a 335i Coupe to be picked up in Munich on Sept. 19, 2007. A few days later my car was shown as 'On Order' by OC. About July 7th that changed to 'Scheduled for Production'. Imagine my surprise when today (the 17th) that changed to 'Awaiting Transport'!
    My Coupe is completed! And in less than a month start to finish. To say I'm a little shocked would be an understatement. Of course it still must be taken to the Prep Center and gone over, but essentially the car will be done two months before I am scheduled to pick it up.
    Doesn't that seem unusually fast? I thought there was a huge backlog and mine wouldn't be done until a week or so before delivery. If mine can be completed so fast why is there a "shortage" for US delivery? Although he was nice about it, my salesman made it sound like he had to jump through hoops to get me an ED car. Is BMW creating a false undersupply? Did I happen to order at a slow time?
    Don't scold me for looking a gift horse in the mouth. Of couse I'm ecstatic about it being ready. Heck I'll fall asleep every night for a week shifting through the gears, trying to nail the perfect clutch-blip-4 to 3 in this sweeping off ramp I know.
    But doesn't the schedule seem unusually fast all the same?
    the average time is usually between 30-45 days, so yours was built a little faster. It's not that there is a shortage for coupes, but each dealer has certain allocations each year, so depending on the dealer, let's say one dealer might get 50 coupes this year and another one might get 100. So, here is where the "shortage" term comes in play.

Now for EDs, it's not about shortage, it's all about delivery dates. Since you ordered your car in June, 3 months ahead, you were able to get probably whatever date you wanted. When the BMW Welt (the new delivery center) will be open in October, then more delivery dates will be available and it will help the client advisors tremendously. I know it will help me since I do so many EDs every year.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it made sense

My Cars
    135i, E430
    So when are you going to pickup your car?

My Cars
    '08 135, '08 Jeep GC
    Saddle Brown is a very nice option, that is what we went with.

Never seen a silver on saddle, it should look stunning.

My Cars
    Irv; thanks for the information. That's news to me about the BMW Welt center. Will that replace or supplement the current delivery center, and is it being done in conjunction with the museum?
    KPACOTKA; I've made reservations around my original delivery date so even if I could I wouldn't go sooner. I booked on the 2 for 1 Lufthansa deal and fly into Frankfort and out of Munich. They didn't have many seats available when I made my reservations three weeks ago, so I doubt there would be anything available now. Knowing my car will be done and sitting there waiting...waiting...will be hard to take.
    993 911; After I ordered my car I saw a sedan with the same color scheme on the lot, I was impressed for sure. I thought the Saddle color also looked best with the Dark Burl so I went that way. In the end there are always some second thoughts especially when looking at the beautiful pics of other combos posted on this board. Wouldn't change a thing though.

My Cars
    E-ballin
    Why no sports package?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by addnon View Post
    Why no sports package?
    Fair question.
    If I never did any long distance driving then I would have jumped at the Sport, however I make frequent 300 mile jaunts down to New Jersey. Some sections of my drive are on pitted concrete roads...with huge expansion joints. Imagine hearing RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBAMRRBAMRRRRRRRRRRRBAMRRBAM mile after mile, and feeling it right up into the steering wheel. Nope don't want to do it. Had enough in my Aero with Bilsteins over Potenza 235-45R17 on BBS's. Guarantee me only the smooth stuff and I'm all for Sport suspension.
    Oh, I test drove a 335 Coupe demo, with regular suspension. My CA who went along for the ride exhorted me to drive it like I stole it. I did. No complaints about the suspension it came with. I don't think that since then he advised anyone else to drive it like they stole it. I was on the verge of ordering the G37. When we got back to the lot I told him to find me a 335.

My Cars
    Z4 Coupe/FX45...
    Saddle brown is hot.. I wish I had it instead of the beige but I didnt preorder. I shouldve waited for the 335 but I was impatient and they were none available. *Sigh* Oh well. Enjoy it.

My Cars
    E-ballin
    Fair question.
    If I never did any long distance driving then I would have jumped at the Sport, however I make frequent 300 mile jaunts down to New Jersey. Some sections of my drive are on pitted concrete roads...with huge expansion joints. Imagine hearing RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBAMRRBAMRRRRRRRRRRRBAMRRBAM mile after mile, and feeling it right up into the steering wheel. Nope don't want to do it. Had enough in my Aero with Bilsteins over Potenza 235-45R17 on BBS's. Guarantee me only the smooth stuff and I'm all for Sport suspension.
    Oh, I test drove a 335 Coupe demo, with regular suspension. My CA who went along for the ride exhorted me to drive it like I stole it. I did. No complaints about the suspension it came with. I don't think that since then he advised anyone else to drive it like they stole it. I was on the verge of ordering the G37. When we got back to the lot I told him to find me a 335.
    Fair enough, and I guess if you ever wish to upgrade the suspension later theres plenty of aftermarket solutions.

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Irv; thanks for the information. That's news to me about the BMW Welt center. Will that replace or supplement the current delivery center, and is it being done in conjunction with the museum?
    KPACOTKA; I've made reservations around my original delivery date so even if I could I wouldn't go sooner. I booked on the 2 for 1 Lufthansa deal and fly into Frankfort and out of Munich. They didn't have many seats available when I made my reservations three weeks ago, so I doubt there would be anything available now. Knowing my car will be done and sitting there waiting...waiting...will be hard to take.
    993 911; After I ordered my car I saw a sedan with the same color scheme on the lot, I was impressed for sure. I thought the Saddle color also looked best with the Dark Burl so I went that way. In the end there are always some second thoughts especially when looking at the beautiful pics of other combos posted on this board. Wouldn't change a thing though.
    The Welt will replace the current delivery center and it will look nothing like it The design, inside and outside, is just amazing

here is their website www.bmw-welt.com

and some pics on my blog http://edbmw.com/blog/2007/06/12/new...elt-in-munich/

http://www.edbmw.com/forums/index.php?topic=59.0