Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving in Germany

My Cars
    X3 3.0

Driving in Germany

I know some of you are thinking about going the European Delivery's route, and in the case you have never been to Germany, or have never driven there, I put up an article I found in an European magazine about the driving rules in Germany. It's a little long so I can't copy and paste it here, but you can read it on the BMW Blog

The article is pretty interesting since some of the driving regulations there are different from ours.

I drove on the Autobahn last May and it was an interesting and unique experience. I was kinda scared the first few hours, seeing some cars cruising at over 130MPH, but I got used to it. I'm sure I didn't follow all the rules, but I tried

My Cars
    ´99 M5 Avus Blue Metallic
    The Autobahn is a wonderful place where you can do this stuff legally:

http://www.onno.is/thordur/almennt/E...007/310kmh.wmv

http://www.onno.is/thordur/almennt/E...007/tekinn.wmv

Thordur

1999 E39 M5 Twin Supercharged
    1989 E30 M3 S85 w/DCT swap in progress...

My Cars
    135i, E430
    Do you need an international driver license to drive in Germany, or US works there?

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by KPACOTKA View Post
    Do you need an international driver license to drive in Germany, or US works there?
    no international driver license needed in Germany.

My Cars
    BMW e92 335i MiniCooperS Volvo s70
    PLEASE just make sure to remember that there is a driving lane and an overtaking lane...if you are not overtaking, get over to the right!!!!

My Cars
    1998 528i/5
    "There’s somewhat of a pecking order amongst svelte cars, in which VWs cede to Audis, which cede to BMWs, which cede to Mercedes, which cede to the kings of the road."

WTF, I'm not ceding to a MB when I'm ballin' in the E60 M5 (on European Delivery, no less) on the 'Bahn.

Although many of Merc. models might win in the top end...
    5/98 BMW 528i/5 with Winter and Sport Packages, Oxfordgrün-Metallic/ Black/ Graphite Trim

xsproutx is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '01 325, '10 Wrangler
    pft. you don't cede to shit. if you're driving faster, you have the right of way. im german and didnt move to the states till i was 18 and never saw a pecking order. sometimes it worked like that simply because the average person there is driving a 4 banger (gas is expensive so they drive econoboxes) that will get passed by the bimmer, benz, etc. but yeh. soon as you pass, get back over to the right hand lane. we hate
    people who stay in the passing lane that are going slow.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I understand that driving on a speed-delimited stretch of Autobahn, you're supposed to keep right except to pass. At what point, if any, can you just stay in the left lane, regardless of what's going on in the right, and merge only when a car actually appears behind you?

My Cars
    '01 325, '10 Wrangler
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    I understand that driving on a speed-delimited stretch of Autobahn, you're supposed to keep right except to pass. At what point, if any, can you just stay in the left lane, regardless of what's going on in the right, and merge only when a car actually appears behind you?
    never.
    think about it, if you're not passing, why do you need to be in another lane? it's SUPPOSED to be like that in the states, too, ya know.

My Cars
    E60
    I found that on the Autobahn I had to st in the left lane because everyone was going slower than me pretty much everywhere. The occasional fast car would bump me out of the way, but otherwise it would have been impossible to travel at top speed the whole time.

Can I also add that 800km road trips are just as tedious at 130 mph as they are at 65? When you go that fast all day, it eventually becomes too familar to be exciting.

My Cars
    '01 325, '10 Wrangler
    Can I also add that 800km road trips are just as tedious at 130 mph as they are at 65? When you go that fast all day, it eventually becomes too familar to be exciting.[/quote]

somewhat agree. but add one more thing. i still go back there during the summer, usually for a month or so, and when i come back to the states...jesus it's slow. and im in ND where the speed limit is 70mph and most people go 85. But it feels sooooo slow the first couple of weeks you're back!

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90
    Quote Originally Posted by KPACOTKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
    no international driver license needed in Germany.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...rivers_License
    Ian

My Cars
    135i, E430
    Wiki is still unofficial source of information. You can consider it as some opinion but nothing more. ANyway thanks for pointing that.

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    that's correct, it's actually called IDP and it can be issued by the local AAA.

Still, it's not needed in Germany

My Cars
    Searching..
    Weird. When i was in Germany last year and rented a car they asked for my International DL. Maybe because i was 18 at the time?
    1992 Racing Dynamics 325i SOLD
    1995 Mugello Rot M3 SOLD
    1973 2002 SOLD
    1999 Estoril Blue M3 SOLD

2008 550i M Sport Current

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post

Exactly why would you want to do that either in Germany or in the US?

My Cars
    850csi SOLD, reno, beemer, husky
    The only internationally accepted documentation is the International Driving Permit (IDP) combined with the standard valid driver's license from the driver's country of residence.
    thats BS - i drove all over Europe, without an international permit; a couple of american friends did that in Romania, Hungary and Slovakia and they didn't needed one either.

when renting a car it might be another story

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine torque View Post
    thats BS - i drove all over Europe, without an international permit; a couple of american friends did that in Romania, Hungary and Slovakia and they didn't needed one either.

I've also driven all over Europe, and it wasn't required. The only country I heard that tried to enforce the IDP was Austria, but I know people that still didn't have a problem driving there

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine torque View Post

That's because it depends on the country. Get pulled over in France, Switzerland or Austria....they demand payment on the spot.

My Cars
    '08 135, '08 Jeep GC
    We just rented a new 5'er from Sixt rent-a-car in Germany. All they asked for was Passports. No licenses or insurance information and it was only 50 euros for 24 hours.

My Cars
    97 528i AND 94 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ukthunderace View Post

Exactly why would you want to do that either in Germany or in the US?
    Well, most of the right lane in the US sucks because big trucks wear it out more...the left lane is just smoother to ride on, so I dont get into the right lane unless I need too...mainly to avoid being spotted going fast in the left lane is the only reason or if someone is coming up behind me I of course get over...which a LOT of people in the US dont which annoys the $hit out of me

My Cars
    Bf.cAcclaim-m3 going in storage for the billboard!
    There’s somewhat of a pecking order amongst svelte cars, in which [COLOR=#FF5A00 ! important][COLOR=#FF5A00 ! important]VWs[/COLOR][/COLOR] cede to Audis, which cede to BMWs, which cede to Mercedes, which cede to the kings of the road, [COLOR=#FF5A00 ! important][COLOR=#FF5A00 ! important]Porsches[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    Fuck that.

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mervon View Post
    Weird. When i was in Germany last year and rented a car they asked for my International DL. Maybe because i was 18 at the time?
    Is is true that you can rent cars from dealers? I am saving up to take my dad to Germany next summer.
    Ian

My Cars
    '08 135, '08 Jeep GC
    I've never heard that before, but if its true better start practicing your German.

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    Is is true that you can rent cars from dealers? I am saving up to take my dad to Germany next summer.
    I'm not sure, I haven't heard of that either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast