Thread: iPhone and the 3-series

My Cars
    X3 3.0

iPhone and the 3-series

What do you guys think? Do you think Apple got it right the first time? I really wanna test it out to see if it works better than my Treos. Every treo i had , always problems with the bluetooth in the car.

I really hope the Apple iPhone will work fine and then I can use the phone as an iPod also.

btw, here is a picture with an iPhone kiosk Pretty cool
    http://edbmw.com/blog/2007/06/26/first-iphone-kiosk/

My Cars
    335xi
    How it's bluetooth compatibility is would just be speculation at the moment, but I imagine it would at least be functional. There may be other issues though with using it to play music in the car and make calls through the car bluetooth, you'd basically have it connected twice to the car. Might make for some strange anomalies, like the iPhone turning itself down, and the radio also turning itself down, when a call comes in... or even conversation audio played through both the stereo link and bluetooth link (speculation, but similar bugs are not impossible). Of course I'm not even sure it's compatible with the BMW iPod cable/being controlled by the stereo, though I assume it would be.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
    What do you guys think? Do you think Apple got it right the first time? I really wanna test it out to see if it works better than my Treos. Every treo i had , always problems with the bluetooth in the car.

I really hope the Apple iPhone will work fine and then I can use the phone as an iPod also.

btw, here is a picture with an iPhone kiosk Pretty cool
    http://edbmw.com/blog/2007/06/26/first-iphone-kiosk/
    Make sure you order the iRack with it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE)
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Make sure you order the iRack with it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE)
    that's funny

My Cars
    Future BMW 335i coupe
    maybe you just have really bad luck. ive never had trouble with bluetooth

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 335punk View Post
    maybe you just have really bad luck. ive never had trouble with bluetooth
    the Treos always had problems with the bluetooth

My Cars
    '08 M3 E93 '11 X35d

bluetooth

I've been able to get my 750 and 680 Treos to pair just fine, but I'm not having any luck with my iPhone. It pairs, and even "sees" the incoming call and displays it on the screen, but I can't answer it. When I place a call it doesn't pick up either. Interestingly, the name of my phone appears in the iDrive display along with how many bars of strength. Let me know if you guys get it working.

Thanx,

Scott

My Cars
    BMW 335i Sedan (MT, Sports, Premium, CA, Sirius)
    I was wondering whether the answer to everyone's prayers had been answered - a bluetooth ipod. According to the following copied from the BMW NA website, it appears not:

"Access to the iPod (or the iPod application of the iPhone) via the vehicle controls and central information or radio display is only possible on cars equipped with iPod/USB interface."

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by slotjocko View Post
    I've been able to get my 750 and 680 Treos to pair just fine, but I'm not having any luck with my iPhone. It pairs, and even "sees" the incoming call and displays it on the screen, but I can't answer it. When I place a call it doesn't pick up either. Interestingly, the name of my phone appears in the iDrive display along with how many bars of strength. Let me know if you guys get it working.

Thanx,

Scott
    most of the people I know had no problem pairing it or getting the full functionality. Tried to delete the bluetooth profile from the iPhone and pair it again

My Cars
    '08 M3 E93 '11 X35d

iphone

Lucky, I read that to mean that you can get the ipod functionality out of the iphone, but not necessarily the telephone function. Irv, are you saying to delete the profile from the car? I'm still pretty new to the phone and don't know if I know how to do that or not. In case I didn't mention it, the display showed "Scott's iPhone" as opposed to just putting my name up there, but I don't know if that is just reading some internal label or if it really know's it's an iPhone. But, if I'm understanding you correctly, you know of peeps that have been able to make the iPhone work just fine, I will will start from scratch and give it another whirl. Thanx to you both.

Scott

My Cars
    BMW 335i Sedan (MT, Sports, Premium, CA, Sirius)
    I actually went to the dealer on Friday to pick up a trunk cargo holder, and asked about the iphone/ipod Bluetooth issues there. Now, this doesn't mean I was given the true answer (as anyone who has asked Comfort Access questions of their dealer might be able to testify)...

Anyway, it was confirmed to me that the iphone can be used via Bluetooth just like any other bluetooth phone. However, the ipod functions of the iphone can only be used via the Aux-in line, or the USB ipod interface.

Once again...I say booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

My Cars
    '08 M3 E93 '11 X35d

iPhone

Well, I did re-pair and got it to work...at least with outgoing calls. I presume it will now accept inconging as well. With my Treo, I had to save contacts to the sim card in order for the car to recognize the incoming call, or b able to scroll thru a phone book. I haven't yet found out how to do that on the iPhone, and don't know if that will make those contacts visible or not, but just to get the phone functionality is great. Let me know what you guys find out.

Regards,

Scott

My Cars
    335i
    Mine works just fine. Probably somewhere along how well my Treo 755p worked. Every once and a while I get more static...but its not often.

The only other peeve I have is that the voicemail doesnt pipe over the bluetooth right now.

Nick

My Cars
    BMW '07 335i, Ford '03 F-150
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief911 View Post
    Mine works just fine. Probably somewhere along how well my Treo 755p worked. Every once and a while I get more static...but its not often.

The only other peeve I have is that the voicemail doesnt pipe over the bluetooth right now.

Nick
    I think the VM thing is somewhat deliberate...Don't want to encourage worse behaviour than we already see with Cell Phone usage. If the VM pipes over the BT, then people are going to be looking own at their phones trying to receive messages whiel driving... not good.

My iPhone seems to work perfect with the 3Series 2007 335i...The only problem I am having is that occasionaly the speakers will dropout and it's hard for me to hears what's being said. The other party can hear me fine... I don't know if this is particular to my phone/Sit, but it seems to get much better if I turn the phone off and back on. Could be a Software/firmware issue...

-Todd A.

My Cars
    '08 M3 E93 '11 X35d

Vm

It also seems as thought the VM is resident on the phone, as I never see the phone call a VM # like every other wireless I've ever had. If that's the case, there may be no trigger event for the car to initiate communication because no call is being made. Just an idea. The negative for me is that I like to leave VM for peeps without calling them, which you could do thru Cingular's VM system. But, it appears as though iPhone doesn't use that system, and as I was going thru activation, was told I would loose all saved VM's...some of which were a year old. Oh well...

Scott

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i, 2006 Mini Cooper S JCW
    My iPhone works perfectly in my E90 330i so far.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    iPhone works GREAT in my 2006 325i.