Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 Radio Wiring Diagram

My Cars
    Black E36 2.8l 4dr Autotragic

E36 Radio Wiring Diagram

I had a bit of trouble finding the wiring diagram for my radio so I thought I would do something to help others trying to wire a sub and amp to their E36. Here is a wiring diagram that I made with the help of one found at a different website. Perhaps this thread could either be stickied or a link to it posted in one of the stickies.

BMW E36 Radio/Stereo Wiring Diagram

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Actually the audio stuff goes in the Car Audio forum but I'll leave this here just in case someone searches for it in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictofE30 View Post
    I had a bit of trouble finding the wiring diagram for my radio so I thought I would do something to help others trying to wire a sub and amp to their E36.
    Thanks! Very helpful!

-Mike

My Cars
    Mazda, BMW 325, Toyota Aristo
    just a note- grey/red is for illumination/dimming feature for when the headlights turn on at night (or was on my 93).
    92 Toyota Aristo - intake/exhaust 13.3@109mph now in pieces awaiting more grown up twins

93 BMW 325i - stock

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318is
    Does anybody know what pin 4 is used for?
    The aerial in my car is terrible and i have been told that i have an amplifired aerial and i need to make sure its being powered, i would have imagined it would take the power from the remote turn on, but this is connected and still getting no radio!!!
    Any ideas would be appreciated!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318is
    ???

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sam01722 View Post
    Does anybody know what pin 4 is used for?
    The aerial in my car is terrible and i have been told that i have an amplifired aerial and i need to make sure its being powered, i would have imagined it would take the power from the remote turn on, but this is connected and still getting no radio!!!
    Any ideas would be appreciated!
    There's an amplifier module located in the rear "C" pillar that's accessible from the inside by popping off the panel. On U.S. cars it's on the driver's side (left side of car when sitting in the seat).

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318is
    yup yup i have found, i have disconnected it all and reconnected it but still no radio

My Cars
    '93 325is e36
    Hey guys, couple quick questions! Why are there two 12v switched pines (5 and 10)? Also, if I'm splicing into my alpine deck do I need anything to go to #4? Thanks for all the help, been trying to get the cd player installed since I got the car.
    D

Also, my alpine head unit (cda 9883) has something called an audio interrupt in lead... Where would that splice into? Im wondering if that goes to one of the 12v switched sources or not? Just tryin to get some tunes!
    Last edited by drewbagd; 01-24-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '96 328is
    hey, i have this jensen radio im trying to hook up.....and i dont have the antenna plugged in but there is no sound when i turn on the radio and play a cd.....but it does turn on...
    so summary radio turns on but no sound whats wrong??

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Quote Originally Posted by frodaddy89 View Post
    hey, i have this jensen radio im trying to hook up.....and i dont have the antenna plugged in but there is no sound when i turn on the radio and play a cd.....but it does turn on...
    so summary radio turns on but no sound whats wrong??
    You didn't wire the harness correctly. Your OEM amp is not turning on.

My Cars
    e30
    hate to bring up an old thread but the link doesn't work, i need the e36 radio wiring pinouts

My Cars
    1992 k1500,1997 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by tooitoxicated62 View Post
    hate to bring up an old thread but the link doesn't work, i need the e36 radio wiring pinouts
    Dtm has one that i used when redoing the stereo. Ill try and see if its still in my email.

Edit: here you go http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/attach...-e36stereo.gif
    Last edited by mijbr90190; 01-03-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    M3 Catback~3.91 lsd~Billies/h&r~15mm Spacers~Airbox mods

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by mijbr90190 View Post
    Dtm has one that i used when redoing the stereo. Ill try and see if its still in my email.

Edit: here you go http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/attach...-e36stereo.gif
    For the negative speaker wires, i just ground them to the chassis? Since e30's use common ground setup?

My Cars
    1996 328is
    For the negative speaker wires, i just ground them to the chassis? Since e30's use common ground setup?

oh no...

My Cars
    1992 k1500,1997 e36
    Im not entirely sure. You would have to ask someone with more knowledge on the topic. That was my first time doing anything car audio wise.
    M3 Catback~3.91 lsd~Billies/h&r~15mm Spacers~Airbox mods

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by SethuM View Post
    oh no...
    I take it that i have to run new wire to each speaker damn it.

My Cars
    328i, 335i

no sound from my car, help please!!!!

I bought a 96 328i last september and since, I haven't had any sound in my car. The factory stereo was not working and did not turn on at all. Checked the fuses and all of them were fine. I assume that the LCD display is toast. So I Just installed an aftermarket unit, but I still dont have any sound. I used an aftermarket wiring harness to connect the new unit and the antenna. Everything is connected correctly. On the antenna, there is an extra wire tapped to it that I did not connect and dont know what it is for. Anyone know what I can do to get sound from my stereo? Help please. Dying with no sound!! Thansk

My Cars
    '91 Alpinweiß 325iX
    So I have followed the guide and spliced all the wires, and everything works, but I am only getting treble out of all the speakers. Any Ideas?

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Did you bypass the factory amp, or just pull a line out from it, because it splits up the frequencies? If you used a line out form the amp, you just got a range of frequency, not a full signal.

My Cars
    1998 323Is, 1964 Impala
    Just a quick add on, I had an aftermarket radio in my car when I got it. Didnt like it and had a nicer one sitting in the garage. The radio signal sucked so I figured the newer cd player would fix it. Still nothing changed in signal and no sound out of the cd function just radio. I called a local shop concerning the "no sound" when on CD mode, and he asked which blue wire I hooked up to the after market blue wire on the harness. I told him the solid blue, he told me to change the wire to the blue/white (power antenna wire) and it would kick the factory amp on, and sure enough i had it functioning correctly. As for the signal, I took both C pillars off, and tightened the connections to the fm/am modules. Also I cleaned the flat connectors that are to the window for the antenna. Still nothing, so I dug into the factory antenna plug for the back of the radio, and decided it was the problem. The aftermarket antenna connector was fine, and when I pulled the factory plug apart, the single little copper wire that connects to the pin in the center of the plug had broken. I trimmed a little off of the wire to give my self more length and carefully reconnected it. It took some patients. I plugged it back in and boom, ever radio station came in full and clear.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8t
    Upgraded turbo-forge motorsport diverter-HIDs-s4 wheels

My Cars
    E30 325ix, E36 M3
    This is the all treble guy on my login. I did not bypass the amp, is it difficult to pull the pillar off and bypass it? I did not buy a harness because I thought just splicing the wires would just do the same job, or does it change the frequency to match the factory amp? Im looking for the simplest fix. Thanks.

My Cars
    E30 325ix, E36 M3
    Bump

My Cars
    1998 323Is, 1964 Impala
    I wouldnt splice the wires, you can get the harness for 20 bucks at any audio shop. It will save you a lot of headache. If you already have and still have the factory end to the wires you cut, re connect and buy the plug harness. If done right you can switch a radio out in 30 minutes. With my antenna problem, I could get the radio out in 40 seconds and have it unplugged and plugged back in quickly
    1999 Audi A4 1.8t
    Upgraded turbo-forge motorsport diverter-HIDs-s4 wheels

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38
    sorry for the offtopic but I am trying to retrofit a e36 325i coupe antena on a e30 can any one give me a wiring diagram of the antena or tell me how to do it ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast