Thread: BMW Performance Driving School

My Cars
    X3 3.0

BMW Performance Driving School

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this, but this is really funny.
    Congrats to BMW USA for coming up with this.

If it's a repost, please delete it.

http://edbmw.com/blog/2007/06/24/bmw...riving-school/

My Cars
    335i Coupe
    eeheh that is pretty funny. The top middle girl is the funniest
    2007 335i Coupe: Sparkling Graphite, Saddle Brown Interior, 6MT, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, iPod Package
    Mods: Turbo Tuner, itg Performance Drop-In Air Filter, MTEC H8 Angel Eyes and Fogs(matching to Xenon), Xenesis H3 Tru-Match Cornering Lights (4000K, 55W), 20% Tinted Windows, Smoked Tails, Painted Reflectors, CF Roundels all over, Passport 9500i, BMW Aero Body Kit

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
    eeheh that is pretty funny. The top middle girl is the funniest
    +1: "That's why they are called bumpers" lol. "Reverse Bump, forward bump, then reverse bump again" .

The coach has a good line too: "The faster you go, the harder it is to get hit" .

The hillbilly also: "Grind it till you find it" .

P.S. The rat race looks wicked fun

Do you get to do all that yourself?
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2007 328i
    Did anyone click on the videos marked around the track? My heart rate is through the roof and I'm GREEN with envy!

My Cars
    2007 328i
    No tutus, sombreros, or ski allowed in the cars while attending driving school. Damn!

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    +1: "That's why they are called bumpers" lol. "Reverse Bump, forward bump, then reverse bump again" .

The coach has a good line too: "The faster you go, the harder it is to get hit" .

The hillbilly also: "Grind it till you find it" .

P.S. The rat race looks wicked fun

Do you get to do all that yourself?

seriously, BMW's Marketing team did an awesome job with this

My Cars
    bmw 328
    okay, so the next sort of obvious question: has anyone here actually GONE to the driving school? Recommendations?

My Cars
    2007 328i
    I have to avoid being pulled over and not get in any accidents for a year, and I'll get to go. The deal will motivate me to be a better driver...aka...have less of a lead foot.

My Cars
    bmw 328
    hey lead foot!

i would like more confidence behind the wheel, and since, according to the ad, we all learned the wrong way to drive, i think there would be a lot to learn. but there are racetracks in ca that offer the same type of instruction, wonder if anyone's gone to another type of perf. driving school?

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by julesbmw View Post
    but there are racetracks in ca that offer the same type of instruction, wonder if anyone's gone to another type of perf. driving school?
    Do you get to drive BMWs though?
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Do you get to drive BMWs though?

that's right, plus, trust me, it's fun.

I also went to an X5 Drive and Ride event in Chicago, and that was amazing.

I tool some cool pics also, the BMW drivers were really good.

http://edbmw.com/blog/2006/11/12/the...e-drive-event/

http://edbmw.com/photos/displayimage...lbum=15&pos=20

btw, I love pics I always take tons of them if I can, every where i go and I see a BMW

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post

btw, I love pics I always take tons of them if I can, every where i go and I see a BMW
    What is the slope of that incline?
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    bmw 328
    you guys are right, the performance driving schools in california may *not* be bmw's. still, i wonder if it's worth it because i wouldn't have to fly to get there.
    would love to hear anyone's impressions of the bmw driving school, as well!
    thanks!

My Cars
    2010 135i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post

I was there!!! What a great time that was!

Are you heading to Chicago again for the BMW Experience?

BTW: the driving school is on my to-do list for this year (if I can make it) but for sure for next if I dont go this year...

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    you guys are right, the performance driving schools in california may *not* be bmw's. still, i wonder if it's worth it because i wouldn't have to fly to get there.
    would love to hear anyone's impressions of the bmw driving school, as well!
    thanks!
    amazing, you should try it once, it was worth it

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmy1993 View Post
    I was there!!! What a great time that was!

Are you heading to Chicago again for the BMW Experience?

BTW: the driving school is on my to-do list for this year (if I can make it) but for sure for next if I dont go this year...
    really? nice! what a coincidence.

I live in Chicago so I will definitely go again, plus my dealership always sends some representatives there.

My Cars
    2021 M550i Tanzanite Blu
    i would like more confidence behind the wheel, and since, according to the ad, we all learned the wrong way to drive,
    You never typed a period to end your sentence(s?), so I just guessed where to put one and then slid this comment in...

The least expensive way to learn to "use the machine" is to attend an autocross. They are schedule all across the country and you can take whatever vehicle you want to most of them. For example, here in Central Florida where we have year-round autocrossing, I have done laps in my Supra Turbo with the SCCA, the Porsche Club, the BMW CCA, the local Miata club, and a bunch of others. Now that I've traded in the Supra for the 335i, I'll be doing those events. (Well, when the weather gets cooler. I'm not as young as I used to be. But then, who is? )
    i think there would be a lot to learn. but there are racetracks in ca that offer the same type of instruction, wonder if anyone's gone to another type of perf. driving school?
    After you've done 4 or 5 autocrosses you'll have the basics down. Things like don't let up on the gas as you go thru a turn, as you reach each cone in a slalom you should already be turned in and aimed for the next one, there's only so much friction to go around so you can either accelerate/decelerate or turn right/left but not both at the same time, and a lot more.

I was commonly the (volunteer) driving instructor for the SCCA events, and that meant taking the novices on a "walk-thru" of the course before the event (the course layout is different for every event), trying to help them understand where to speed up, where to slow down, how to plan your line through the course, and a lot more. Unfortunately, I usually only got 20 minutes or so.

Then consider one of the "traveling" driving schools. For example, I took the Evolution Driving School. They're based in Orlando and (someplace else?). Google for them or check myautoevents.com for their ads. (Jean and Dana sold the business to three of their instructors, although Jean still acts as instructor from time to time. If you get to meet her, tell her "Frank, the Central Florida Solo Chairman" said "hi"!)

I mention autocrossing first because the cost of entry is very low and you learn a lot just hanging around and talking with the other drivers. (And don't be shy -- you're there to learn, so ASK QUESTIONS of everyone!) Then I mentioned the traveling schools, since you can often do a 2-day school for about $400 and use your own car. This is a GREAT learning experience as well, especially when you have an instructor drive the course in your car, then you drive it and see how close you can get to their time. (But don't feel bad when they trounce you on lap times!)

Then spend the money on a school like the BMW HPDE or Skip Barber or Bob Bondurant. By then you'll know enough that you'll get real value for your money and not make an ass of yourself with lame comments!

Good luck and most of all, enjoy your experience!
    M550i Sedan; tanzanite blue/white Nappa leather (list of options coming soon).

Was: 335i Coupe; silver/dark AT with Sport and Premium pkgs, includes paddle shifters; brake booster valve replaced (twice now); oil cooler no longer a top priority.

My Cars
    bmw 328
    frank,

thank you!!!!
    period.

jules

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by azhrei View Post
    You never typed a period to end your sentence(s?), so I just guessed where to put one and then slid this comment in...

The least expensive way to learn to "use the machine" is to attend an autocross. They are schedule all across the country and you can take whatever vehicle you want to most of them. For example, here in Central Florida where we have year-round autocrossing, I have done laps in my Supra Turbo with the SCCA, the Porsche Club, the BMW CCA, the local Miata club, and a bunch of others. Now that I've traded in the Supra for the 335i, I'll be doing those events. (Well, when the weather gets cooler. I'm not as young as I used to be. But then, who is? )

After you've done 4 or 5 autocrosses you'll have the basics down. Things like don't let up on the gas as you go thru a turn, as you reach each cone in a slalom you should already be turned in and aimed for the next one, there's only so much friction to go around so you can either accelerate/decelerate or turn right/left but not both at the same time, and a lot more.

I was commonly the (volunteer) driving instructor for the SCCA events, and that meant taking the novices on a "walk-thru" of the course before the event (the course layout is different for every event), trying to help them understand where to speed up, where to slow down, how to plan your line through the course, and a lot more. Unfortunately, I usually only got 20 minutes or so.

Then consider one of the "traveling" driving schools. For example, I took the Evolution Driving School. They're based in Orlando and (someplace else?). Google for them or check myautoevents.com for their ads. (Jean and Dana sold the business to three of their instructors, although Jean still acts as instructor from time to time. If you get to meet her, tell her "Frank, the Central Florida Solo Chairman" said "hi"!)

I mention autocrossing first because the cost of entry is very low and you learn a lot just hanging around and talking with the other drivers. (And don't be shy -- you're there to learn, so ASK QUESTIONS of everyone!) Then I mentioned the traveling schools, since you can often do a 2-day school for about $400 and use your own car. This is a GREAT learning experience as well, especially when you have an instructor drive the course in your car, then you drive it and see how close you can get to their time. (But don't feel bad when they trounce you on lap times!)

Then spend the money on a school like the BMW HPDE or Skip Barber or Bob Bondurant. By then you'll know enough that you'll get real value for your money and not make an ass of yourself with lame comments!

Good luck and most of all, enjoy your experience!
    it seems like you had quite some interesting experiences

My Cars
    2021 M550i Tanzanite Blu
    frank,

thank you!!!!
    period.

jules
    Heh-heh, you're welcome!

And to everyone else out there that's driving a BMW: check out www.scca.com and look for your region of the country. With a few clicks, it will take you to your local group. Look for the Solo II links ("Solo 2" is what the SCCA calls their autocross events.)

Let me tell you -- they're a blast!! I cannot recommend them enough. Imagine going to a big race -- Sebring, VIR, Mid-Ohio -- where everyone is a race fan. You strike up conversations easily and "bench race" all afternoon. Now add to that the ability to put on a loaner helmet (because you didn't bring one) and run your personal vehicle around a bunch of cones! You're competing against the clock -- only one car at a time on the course, although sometimes the course is big enough and doesn't overlap on itself, so there can actually be 2 or 3 cars on course with a huge gap between them.

You will learn more about your car -- and how to drive -- in 3 weekends than you will have learned in all of your experience prior to that.
    M550i Sedan; tanzanite blue/white Nappa leather (list of options coming soon).

Was: 335i Coupe; silver/dark AT with Sport and Premium pkgs, includes paddle shifters; brake booster valve replaced (twice now); oil cooler no longer a top priority.