Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: my trunk STINKS!

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2

my trunk STINKS!

I was wondering what that crappy smell was so I searched the forum for this and got two posts... the most recent from some time in 2006...neither had a solution... it's definitly coming from the insulation in the trunk and behind the back seat in the cabin. Any body have a solution short of removing the stinky crap?
    A bimmer should smell like fine leather, not an old sneaker.....

My Cars
    e46 2002 325i
    Your just going to have to rip it out and replace it. You probably have a leak somewhere thats letting water in and then caused the insulation to mildew

My Cars
    01 325i topaz ; 04 325i alpine
    that sucks! good luck..
    Vince
    "the love of driving comes with a price"
    www.cardomain.com/id/tizsuperrq
    FS: Hamann HM2 19" Sold!

My Cars
    F30 (02tiE30E34E55E46)
    well you could buy a bottle of Febreeze and just hose down the area every few weeks. If it were me, I'd pull the insulation and find the leak, unless you spilled somthing and there is no leak.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    The day I find my E30 M3 will be the day that all is well in my world. I will see her and smile, then she'll smile because she knows!

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    well you could buy a bottle of Febreeze and just hose down the area every few weeks. If it were me, I'd pull the insulation and find the leak, unless you spilled somthing and there is no leak.
    well, according to the other posts, the insulating material itself is the culprit. apparantly, there are several other European Mfrs. that have the same problem... no one else's trunk smells like old crayons?
    I think I'm just going to replace the insulation with something else that doesn't stink....

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    Now, that you mention it, mine smeels a little musty, but nothing in the way of old crayons. Actually, I dont know what old crayons really smell like...

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by pphil09 View Post
    Now, that you mention it, mine smeels a little musty, but nothing in the way of old crayons. Actually, I dont know what old crayons really smell like...
    It has kind of a plasticy-waxy smell. If you open the armrest in the back seat, the cover behind it has velcro on the top. pull it down and take a whiff of the insulation.

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    I dont have a backseat arm rest, besides the one on the doors

My Cars
    Yes
    Mine also smells of Crayons, but only in warm weather.

My Cars
    e46 2002 325i
    Mine tastes like snozzeberries!

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
    Mine also smells of Crayons, but only in warm weather.
    yep, that's it. You notice that if you open the sun roof, it sucks the smell right out of the trunk and into the cabin...
    My car is black so it's always hot.... smells all the time.

My Cars
    2004 Volvo S40
    these snozzeberries taste like,..snozzeberries...

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Man, my trunk stinks too! I thought it was just my car, which I've owned for almost four years. It has stunk since I first bought it. And I think you are right. I think the smell is old crayons!

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetallgo View Post
    Man, my trunk stinks too! I thought it was just my car, which I've owned for almost four years. It has stunk since I first bought it. And I think you are right. I think the smell is old crayons!
    Yep, that's it. If I have time this weekend, I'm going to pull out the stuff in the trunk.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I have the exact same problem on mine. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

My Cars
    Pre-lift e46
    You have a leak. Check to see if there is water in the spare tire well. If there is, try some type of sealant or rubber trim stuff to reinforce whats there.
    In my other vehicles I had a box of baking soda in my trunk to absorb nasty smells.

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    Today in 95 degree weather, I popped open the trunk and took a big whiff, and BAM! wax smell.

My Cars
    04 330Ci
    It seems many ppl are experiencing the same problem with 3-series AND 5-series. I have same crayon smell in the trunk!

Another forum mentioned the same problem as well. I would put a link but apparently I'm not allow to.

I think this should be covered under the warranty. and there should be a recall or a TSB issued at least to address the problem.

Who knows if this is toxic or harmful.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by x66otx View Post
    It seems many ppl are experiencing the same problem with 3-series AND 5-series. I have same crayon smell in the trunk!

Another forum mentioned the same problem as well. I would put a link but apparently I'm not allow to.
    I was going to use dynamat to replace the stinky stuff... anybody have any experience wth it?

My Cars
    2001 325i, 1987 325e
    hahaha...that title made me laugh. MY TRUNK STINKS! anyways...I've noticed that same smell in a lot of European cars. That infamous crayon smell.

My Cars
    04 330Ci
    just got a call from the dealer saying my car is ready for pick up.

BAD NEWS : they can do nothing about the smell. trying to telling me it smells like some kind of food? HELL anyone gets into my car says it smells like crayon.

Anyone got this fixed under warranty? or any other way?

Now that I know many other ppl are having the same problem which means it is clearly a defect of BMW, I hate the smell.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by x66otx View Post
    just got a call from the dealer saying my car is ready for pick up.

BAD NEWS : they can do nothing about the smell. trying to telling me it smells like some kind of food? HELL anyone gets into my car says it smells like crayon.

Anyone got this fixed under warranty? or any other way?

Now that I know many other ppl are having the same problem which means it is clearly a defect of BMW, I hate the smell.
    I'll be stripping the trunk this weekend... I'll post the results...

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by sockethead View Post
    I'll be stripping the trunk this weekend... I'll post the results...
    Ok, so after you take the sides off the trunk interior, there are these insulating covers that go over the shock/ wheel well area. They STINK. Just rip them out and throw them away. If you've done shocks, you may have already done this...If your worried about more noise, can cut some pieces of dynamat and stick them on.....that takes care of the trunk.

Unfortunatley, there is more of this type of material under and behind the back seat. This stuff is molded foam with a layer the stinky crap on top. The layer under the bottom cushion seems to be a different material and doesn't smell as bad. I was planning on just taking out the large piece behind the seat back and maybe putting some dynamat in it's place but now I'm not so sure because the foam is molded to fill the varying shapes of the sheetmetal and may act as a filler between the seat back.
    I was thinking of a flexible coating I could possibly spray on top of it. any suggestions?

I have Pics... easy way to post? I know someone is always telling people how to post pics, but I wasn't paying attention....

My Cars
    Pre-lift e46
    Quote Originally Posted by sockethead View Post
    Ok, so after you take the sides off the trunk interior, there are these insulating covers that go over the shock/ wheel well area. They STINK. Just rip them out and throw them away. If you've done shocks, you may have already done this...If your worried about more noise, can cut some pieces of dynamat and stick them on.....that takes care of the trunk.

Unfortunatley, there is more of this type of material under and behind the back seat. This stuff is molded foam with a layer the stinky crap on top. The layer under the bottom cushion seems to be a different material and doesn't smell as bad. I was planning on just taking out the large piece behind the seat back and maybe putting some dynamat in it's place but now I'm not so sure because the foam is molded to fill the varying shapes of the sheetmetal and may act as a filler between the seat back.
    I was thinking of a flexible coating I could possibly spray on top of it. any suggestions?

I have Pics... easy way to post? I know someone is always telling people how to post pics, but I wasn't paying attention....

When you are linking the pics, just hit post reply, and there is an icon of a picture at the top that lets you enter the addy. If its on your computer, just hit post reply then you'll see a button that says edit attachments a lil ways down.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Oh, so your the guy who owns the Bimmer I used as a toilet last night

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast