Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high beam always on

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39

Unhappy high beam always on

can someone give me some advice on a problem i have. the high beam lamps have come on by themselves and wont swich off. only the high beams though, the dip and tail lights are off, the high beam is even on when the lights are switched off and the key removed. i have had to disconnect the plugs to the lamps now as its running the battery flat. some advice on where to start looking for this fault would be appreciated. Thanks

My Cars
    97 528i AND 94 325i
    Sounds like a stuck relay...

My Cars
    2004 545i ,97 528 (sold)
    hello there roncella I encountered the same problem on my 528i my problem was only one high beam light that stayed on after the car was turned off and the switch on off position.

The problem to this is the LCM = Light Control Module, it is located behind the pasengers right kick panel.

It runs about $400 new in the Stealership, it needs to be programmed to match your car's current mileage. E39 store the mileage in different components. By replacing the LCM and not programming it will cause a yellow dot to appear on your cluster that indicates incorrect mileage.

The other option is to get a used one and try to see if you can get it programmed to your mileage. Thats what I am doing , I got a used one and I tried it on and then I got all the lights to work perfect but the yellow dot appears on my cluster. I am going to have a BMW shop give it a shot to program the used LCM.

What year is your E39? I had a used LCM module that had came off a 2001 E39 but it was slightly different and didnt work for my 97 528i. I could check with a friend if he still has it.

If you need help finding it, message me I could email you pics.

Good Luck.

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerspeed View Post
    hello there roncella I encountered the same problem on my 528i my problem was only one high beam light that stayed on after the car was turned off and the switch on off position.

The problem to this is the LCM = Light Control Module, it is located behind the pasengers right kick panel.

It runs about $400 new in the Stealership, it needs to be programmed to match your car's current mileage. E39 store the mileage in different components. By replacing the LCM and not programming it will cause a yellow dot to appear on your cluster that indicates incorrect mileage.

The other option is to get a used one and try to see if you can get it programmed to your mileage. Thats what I am doing , I got a used one and I tried it on and then I got all the lights to work perfect but the yellow dot appears on my cluster. I am going to have a BMW shop give it a shot to program the used LCM.

What year is your E39? I had a used LCM module that had came off a 2001 E39 but it was slightly different and didnt work for my 97 528i. I could check with a friend if he still has it.

If you need help finding it, message me I could email you pics.

Good Luck.
    thanks so much for the advice. if you have a picture that would be so helpful.
    Regards
    Sergio

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39
    ok with your help ive found the module, its dry, but have stripped it down and found a 5 pin ic against a heat sink and its split in half. i presume this is the problem. the chip is a BTS425L1. can someone tell me where i might get one of these chips or if someone knows of a company that could repair this as im told this is tied to the ecu so i dont want to replace it as it will need programming to my car, but the module is a 8 372 874 Loewe LCM-II)
    Last edited by roncella1; 06-04-2007 at 10:38 AM.

My Cars
    97 528i AND 94 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by roncella1 View Post
    ok with your help ive found the module, its dry, but have stripped it down and found a 5 pin ic against a heat sink and its split in half. i presume this is the problem. the chip is a BTS425L1. can someone tell me where i might get one of these chips or if someone knows of a company that could repair this as im told this is tied to the ecu so i dont want to replace it as it will need programming to my car, but the module is a 8 372 874 Loewe LCM-II)
    I just googled "BTS425L1" and some results came up... http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../BTS425L1.html
    ...you could probably get your hands on a replacement chip then go to an electronics store (or online) and buy a solder vacuum, high quality electronics solder, and solder gun and replace it yourself and see what the results are...might work just by doing that...the LCM programming is most likely in another chip on the board so you might not have to worry about reprogramming the unit at all. Now, the chip could be broken in half because of another issue, I dont know...or it could just be that age and heat took it's toll...I can tell you what I would do if it were mine...I would try to figure out how that chip worked and then bypass it by soldering in wires...then see if it works...I've done that with good results...one time my windshield wipers stopped working and I opened up the $200 control module, found a fried copper trail/etching and just bypassed it with a wire and it worked fine for years after...

actually, since it's only 5 pin you probably wont need a solder vaccum (this is something used to "suck" the solder off the terminals when you have a lot of terminals to disconnect...

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39
    soldering isn't a problem as I'm an engineer so i have all the present equipment. the problem I'm having is finding a company who has this ic

My Cars
    2004 545i ,97 528 (sold)
    No idea on where you could find that particular ic chip, the only thing is to search in every electronic store near your area or search on online. Try to see who manufactured this chip, then call the manufacturer and see if they could find it with the same programming specs. Good luck..!!

I tried the same thing on mine, I opened up the LCM and took a close look at the PCB board for solder joints and soo forth but no luck. I ended up getting one for $50 bucks, its used of course.... im just hoping it will work fine after I get it programmed.

My Cars
    2004 545i ,97 528 (sold)
    Any Luck roncella?

My Cars
    m52 powered
    I've got one for him if he wants it for 50. just had to find the correct module.

if this or whatever module he gets would trip the odometer tamper light why not carefully unsolder the chip from the new part and add it to his existing module?

too risky?

My Cars
    98 528i RIP, 2010 SRX
    This is crazy coincidence!!! Several of us are having the same problem at almost the same time. Here is my post just a couple of days ago:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=763865

There is a response with a link to a possible parts source and also a write-up with pics on how to replace the chip.

Please let me know about the source of the chip if you find one soon.

Good luck,

JJ

PS. As I understand it, if you change the entire module, the dealer must reprogram it for you or you will have erroneous info, including mileage of all things!!
    9/30/2007 - 200,000 Miles!
    11/29/10 - 300,000 miles and counting! 4/10/2012 - 332,635! 01/14/2013 - 350,000 miles! 10/25/15 - 395,872 End of the Road
    Never explain yourself... Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway!

My Cars
    2004 545i ,97 528 (sold)
    All right guys, I have had the same problem where the right high beam light stays lid no matter what wheter you curse at it or turn off and on the lights 100 times.

I ended up getting a used LCM and had my local specialized BMW shop take a attempt of programming the module. The master technician said he tried 5 times and no luck apperantly it only works on a bran new LCM. Oh well, I am leaving it with the used LCM atleast all the lights will work fine, the only thing is that i will have a small yellow dot in my cluster. I dont mind the yellow dot, I rather have my lights work.

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39
    on the lcm module, you will see a sw and a hw with numbers after them.these indicate the software and hardware, to re code the lcm to your car, these numbers on the sw & hw need to be the same as yours, otherwise it wont recode at bmw.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    did you get the module yet Roncella?

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39
    No, not yet, still waiting for it.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    should be along any time now- it's in a box just smaller than a shoebox. good luck to you- I hope it gets you going again!

I have faith in it. I enjoy knowing that alot of us have been able to use the parts from the 540i I picked up. e39 worldwide. I delivery.

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39
    thanks again, by the way, like the new picture

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39

Unhappy

The saga continues........
    I received the module with thanks. Does anyone know any spec of this module??? its just i have fitted this one and im now getting lights ok, the milege dot which too is ok, but now the indicators dont give any sighn or noise inside the car that they are working. They are as i can see them flashing outside. Also it now says check low beam, check brake flui id level and check brakes. i also swear the performance of the car is very different to what it was with the old faulty module. Any thoughts?? if it comes to it im happy just to buy a new one, but will bmw be able to program it the same as the old one?? for instance with this module it tells me to remove the key from the ignition when im about to leave the car, the old one didnt etc. Some advice would be great. As im worried my baby has changed forever!!!!

My Cars
    E39540i E60535 F10535i
    There is a guy on the "Fest" that is selling a pair of chips on Ebay. Buy It now price includes shipping.

Check the E39 section over there for more info.
    The Harder I work, the better I live!

My Cars
    2004 545i ,97 528 (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by roncella1 View Post
    The saga continues........
    I received the module with thanks. Does anyone know any spec of this module??? its just i have fitted this one and im now getting lights ok, the milege dot which too is ok, but now the indicators dont give any sighn or noise inside the car that they are working. They are as i can see them flashing outside. Also it now says check low beam, check brake flui id level and check brakes. i also swear the performance of the car is very different to what it was with the old faulty module. Any thoughts?? if it comes to it im happy just to buy a new one, but will bmw be able to program it the same as the old one?? for instance with this module it tells me to remove the key from the ignition when im about to leave the car, the old one didnt etc. Some advice would be great. As im worried my baby has changed forever!!!!

Roncella,

My car is a 1997 528, I first tried replacing my module with a module that came from a 2000 E39. The connections were the same the physical appearance was similar but not the same my original faulty LCM has a bulky piece coming from the side. The newer LCM from a 2000 E39 did not it has a better heat sink.

I had the same experience when I connected the LCM that came from the 2000 E39. Some lights would light up and others wouldnt, soo I kept hunting for the same LCM that my car came with and the all the lights work fine.

The only thing that I have is a small tiny dot by the milleage.

Good Luck!

My Cars
    2004 545i ,97 528 (sold)
    You might be better off buying a new one and have BMW program the new board.

Last time I checked the local BMW dealers in Southern California quoted me $400 for the LCM and about $150 to have it coded.

My Cars
    bmw 540i se e39
    im sure it works as part of the computer too. oh well back to bmw for a new one

My Cars
    m52 powered
    well at least you can drive the car for now, that's half the battle. I had hoped for a trouble free fix for you Roncella, sorry it wasn't exactly as hoped. You win some you lose some with these cars.

My Cars
    1997 528iSE

high beam always on

I have the problem discussed here. I had burried my head in the sand by just taking the bulb out but now I cannot obtain the Ministry of Transport test without out addressing the situation!

My thinking is - value of the car is probably sub-£1000 now, rather than forking out serious money on a new Lighting Control Module or spending time trawling scrap yards for a second hand one...

Would it be possible to:
    rig up some sort of relay to switch the power to the right hand high beam lamp (the one that stays on) only when there is power fed to the left hand lamp?
    A 'bodge' may be considered distasteful here but I'm stuck 200-miles from home for the next week and would like somehow to get the show on the road ASAP.

I look forward to hearing what you think. Thank you in advance.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    you could always wire up a switch in the dash to work the high beams.

Just run a standard automotive relay to the high beams from a switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast